Has Firaxis Acknowledged Start Position Bug?

Hey guys!

Me and some friends did some testing on the patch for those start position problems. Seems the problem is Abundant Resources and Balanced Starting Position. Please try this yourselves (not using those two options together), and see if you can confirm the solution. :)

I had the bug occur on Balanced starting positions and Normal resources.

This is essentially the problem:
Can confirm the minimum distance between starting locations is being ignored, I started 6 games back to back and in 3 I had another major civilization original settler and thus capital 3-4 tiles away from mine. No mod installed.

Can someone share the file I need to correct the issue?
Follow the link and temporary solutions are in that thread.

2kqa_b just updated an hour ago.
Back to the usual cycle, or is this the start of some corrections?

2kqa_b just updated an hour ago.
Back to the usual cycle, or is this the start of some corrections?

Judging by the depots the update, it's not a new cycle or the Mac/Linux Fall patch. It may be a hotfix being prepped.

Hey guys!

Me and some friends did some testing on the patch for those start position problems. Seems the problem is Abundant Resources and Balanced Starting Position. Please try this yourselves (not using those two options together), and see if you can confirm the solution. :)

This is not the solution.

If they do have the habit of bringing old bugs back, maybe they do have some major version control issues, and might be well served hiring a release engineer.

If the problem was in version control only, then I believe they'd do hotfixes. So far, however, there hasn't been a single one. To me that's an indication that the problem is somewhere deeper. They sort of know they can't quickly fix this without breaking that.

If the problem was in version control only, then I believe they'd do hotfixes. So far, however, there hasn't been a single one. To me that's an indication that the problem is somewhere deeper. They sort of know they can't quickly fix this without breaking that.

True, except that when a simple overwrite of a single file solves the problem, I'm not sure what is being broken.

I guess I'm old school. When we used to program things (for me mainly in databases) and something was broken, our first instinct was to fix it as quickly as possible and give the customer the new fix. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore in *any* software.

Has it occurred to anyone that the initial crowding is intentional, for some civs are supposed to get ahead by picking off a settler or new, close city (assuming the AI occasionally do it)? :borg:

I will probably quit for good if that's the direction they were hoping to go. The orginal 9 tile spacing between spawning points was horrible enough to begin with and I'm not too happy that they insist on keeping it. It leaves no competitive room for peace and all other aspects of civilization.

Hey guys!

I had the bug occur with Legendary Starting Position and Normal Resources.

I had the bug occur on Balanced starting positions and Normal resources.

Nothing to with either of these options. I never use any option that changes starting position or resource density. Still have had this bug about 90 % of time when starting a game after the Fall Patch. My recent game with Gitarja included Geneva settler 2 tiles from my settler, plus 2 other city states 4 tiles away from my starting location. Bit crowded.

edit:i have not installed a single mod to Civ6, so, not caused by any mods

So I take it that hotfixes don't exist and if they break the game, it is see you next season? That doesn't sound like solid treatment for an AAA title.

I mean I did dl a fix but what if something else gets broken in the future that isn't as easy for users to fix?

So I take it that hotfixes don't exist and if they break the game, it is see you next season? That doesn't sound like solid treatment for an AAA title.

I mean I did dl a fix but what if something else gets broken in the future that isn't as easy for users to fix?

Firaxis only pretends to care about the community's experience with their game when they want to sell us DLC. Then and only then with they communicate with us or fix their game-breaking bugs.

Never mind that a ton of people would never even look to a mod to fix it.

Again, some things are normal to break between versions. So some of the stuff from the summer patch like the weird trade deals, or not forming an alliance, that happens. Annoying, but not game-breaking.

But this start position bug is way too noticeable, and way too much influence on a game, that it's still shocking that they didn't get a hotfix out. Like, this is the sort of bug that should take no more than 1 day to make a quick new build, give it a shot in QA, and just come out with a press release saying, "oops, bug snuck in. Here's a quick fix for it".

The issue has just been hotfixed!

Top Bottom