1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has gaming turned a corner?

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by sherbz, Feb 9, 2019.

1. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

For the past few years, gaming has been a bit of a sick industry. It all started when EA launched Battlefront II and tried to egregiously target whales in a highly exploitative pay to win economy. Since then, shady practices, loot boxes and micro transactions have become a dirty term. And yet, the golden goose for EA - Fifa UT - continued to make huge sums of money. This now too has come under attack, with some EU countries classifying UT as gambling and placing a restriction on it. Furthermore, developer Bungie jumped ship from the yoke of Activision Blizzard and is now an independent studio. And Activision Blizzard was, along with EA, one of the worst offenders when it came to excessive monetisation.

Looking at things today, EA and Activision stocks seem to be sliding. And opinion seems to be hardening towards the excessive greed in evidence at the top of the tree.

I personally hope that this trend continues. But i dont think things will have truly turned a corner whilst the likes of Andrew Wilson, Blake Jorgensen and a whole host of Activision fat cats remain in business. The short termism of people like that is truly sickening and they are a poison to the industry.

2. Malachi256

Malachi256 Chieftain

We're in a golden age for lower budget titles. The number of games available on steam is staggering.

But the cost is that many big budget games have a harder time getting the market share they need to be profitable. People have so many choices, if a game isn't exactly what they want, they can find something more suited to them elsewhere.

Regarding the evolution of the business model (towards post-release transactions - microtransactions and DLC), it's hard to say that that's "evil biznis'" fault... players are the ones funding it.

3. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Whilst true, I think they key thing to note is that SOME players are funding it. And thats sort of the point as far as shady business practices go. Its that in chasing that 5% of your player base who have a susceptibility to gambling and addiction, you spoil the experience for the rest of the player base.

4. ArchGhost

ArchGhost Chieftain

It extends back before the Battlefront II remake fiasco. That one just sticks in memory since the consumer base actually reacted to it and EA is especially arrogant even when buying journalistic cooperation. The same type of gratuitous monetization of empty content has been going on since at least 2012 when I first noticed it in Black Ops II where they were charging at least a $1 floor price for any cosmetic. The gambling aspect since has only made it worse since they can actively screw you out of it now by having full control of the incidence rates of the perceived "values."

I think it was Jim Sterling that pointed out that the games industry is quite young (~40 years) and comparatively similar to the early motion picture industry in America, with little (and only self-imposed at that) regulation. Game devs are wise to the fact gaming is hot and makes big bucks right now (as opposed to what were essentially passion projects in the interim between the 1982 crash and the rise of DLC), so it's attracting all of the wrong kind of get-rich quick attitudes and there is no low they won't sink to. It doesn't apply just to the high end either -- Valve and its "experiments" with a free market with Greenlight and the like have shown that any jackoff will push crap just trying to scam a few bucks while being essentially sheltered by a bigger entity's credibility, and with no accountability for either party as they pass the buck or fade/resurface respectively.

Their attitude is to get in, make their money now before the regulation crackdown happens, then get out... and exploit the hell out of everyone in the process including their own employees. They are taking the money and running because they KNOW it won't last. It's eerie how similar the atmosphere is to the pre-'82 crash days and how hard they are driving it towards the same conclusion.

Based on an anecdotal account here :
    That's the supposedly strategy behind all this Fallout 76 nonsense that's been going on -- if it seems like Bethesda doesn't care or isn't trying, it's because they aren't! They are testing the waters with a half-assed attempt for more purposeful entry into the multiplayer, always online, DLC ridden market down the line. If they learned anything from the controversy surrounding the game and everything that's gone on, it's that they can stand to make a butt-load of money no matter how much they screw up, no matter how bad they screw their fanbase, because casting a wider net always garners more unsuspecting fish to more than offset any backlash.

The unfortunate implications of all this is that the gamers are going to lose, one way or another.

5. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

It really makes no difference who is at the top. The Gaming industry chases unsustainable models and pushes hellish working conditions on its staff because that is what they're incentivized to do by Capitalism. This stuff only goes away if gaming gets way, way smaller, or else the workers unionize and worker-owned cooperatives become much more widespread.

6. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Temporary Pattern...reassembling...

I think EA and Activision will have to crash hard before they learn the right lessons. It doesn't look too good for them now. EA really screwed up when they put Bioware to work on Anthem. They expected to sell six million copies in the first two months, and so far it has worse reviews and sales than Mass Effect: Andromeda.:cringe:

7. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Yea, all this focus on live services is killing them. Jim Sterling (thank god for him :D) has been banging on about this for ages now. Theres only so many people there to play live service type games. And currently in that genre theres PUBG, Fortnite, Apex legends, Counterstrike, Warframe and Destiny. And all they have done is just add more competition to it by tasking Bioware with Anthem. And Bioware are not known for being great at looter shooters, and it seemingly shows after the very awkward reception it has received. Interesting too that Apex has been such a success, when EA had virtually no involvement whatsoever and made no excessive monetisation strategies a core part of the game.

At the moment it seems like everyone is waiting for the announcement that EA is going to be shutting Bioware down.

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

If the conditions are really so hellish, why don't the employees walk?

Indy games don't hold these same working conditions and are continually getting more competitive with "AAA". It's nice to see a broken model struggling to compete.

9. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Yeah - Indy is definitely the best forum out there for gaming these days. That tends to be where the real enthusiasts have gravitated. I have not bought a triple A game in yonks. And that probably wont be changing anytime soon. Whereas i have bought about half a dozen or so Indy titles (project Zomboid, the Forest, Slay the Spire, They are Billions, The Long Dark and Invisible Inc)

10. Akropolis24

Akropolis24 Chieftain

nowadays, Indie games are my choice of preference as well. Although I think if the micro-transactions are only applicable to cosmetics, there's nothing evil about it, solely my opinion tho. However if by micro-transactions a player is rewarded with some kind of in-game benefit, then with utmost certainty I conclude that sinister AF. I've bought a dozen of Indie games during the last year, however, I've also acquired such pieces as Just Cause 4, Anthem, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and a few others as well. Not waiting for Sekiro and DMC5.

What I usually do it wait for a while until the price of an AAA game decreases drastically and then I find I sale on some marketplace that benefits me greatly. And voila, some AAA games can be bought quite cheap as well tbh.
    In recent months I've been using Eneba as my games provider, from time to time they have some really nice offers up there.

11. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

I dont especially have a problem with micro transactions provided their inclusion is ethical and proportionate, but they must have a value too. A game like Warframe, Fortnite, or even Hearthstone would fit that bill. Mostly because they are all free to play. And in the case of the former two, where cosmetics are a key part of the experience, that makes cosmetic purchases acceptable. I dont think cosmetic purchases are ok in a game where they are a key part of the experience though. Namely online shooters. And this is especially the case when they charge $60 for the base game, not including deluxe editions and all the other crap that goes with it. A case in point being Activision in COD who think its acceptable to charge $2 for a pink reticle. Anthem too launched at a full priced tag but includes cosmetics locked behind pay walls. Not cool IMO. And is one of the many reasons i have turned off triple A games entirely (leaving strategy aside, as i do purchase triple A strategy titles - and heaven forbid they ever try and include egregious microtransactions there).

12. Hamilton321

Hamilton321 Chieftain

My five favourite indie games are This War of Mine, Frostpunk, Atlantic Fleet, Cold Waters and the Long Dark. These games are all very fun and complex in their own ways, although they are harder to navigate than others. I play Frostpunk because of its unique take on city building and survival. This War of MIne and the Long Dark are excellent survival games. Atlantic Fleet and Cold Waters are fun and educational naval simulators.

13. Hamilton321

Hamilton321 Chieftain

Then you see every total war game after shogun 2

14. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/feb/28/tom-watson-calls-for-crackdown-on-in-game-gambling

This is happening more and more now. I have been to see my MP a number of times on this issue. And the reason is that I recognise i have addictive tendencies. One of the reasons i game in the first place is because it is in my view a far less damaging and simply enjoyable pursuit over gambling. I also grew up with gaming, and have gamed for the past 30 years or so. And i am frankly appalled at what i see as aggressive monetisation within gaming that is targeted at kids. I myself have seen it for what it is and turned away - being i hope a mature and responsible adult. But i can easily see how the type of tactics employed today would ensnare kids hook line and sinker if they have similar tendencies to what i myself had as a youngster. And the evidence is mounting - more kids in the UK now habitually gamble than smoking and drinking combined. Thats a quite astonishing statistic in my opinion. And i find it incredulous that every now and then some nut job who played GTA a few times, and then goes on a real life rampage, and people say "well, it must be the games fault". And look to place restrictions on violent video games. And at the same time we have created or are creating thousands of kids hooked into gambling whilst much of our media and many politicians remain blissfully ignorant/silent on the issue. It really does beggar belief.

15. Hamilton321

Hamilton321 Chieftain

This video shows some of what I mean about the creative assembly using microtransactions in newer titles to scam people. Below is a link to a video that shows five total war dlcs which were overpriced or should have been added in the base game

16. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Yea, agree with most of the list. DLC should add value to the game. It should not be about holding content back from release to be sold later. And taking mods offline to sell as a mod is an absolute no no. That brings back memories of paid mods in Skyrim.

DLC strategies are a different (albeit related) phenomenon IMO. Paradox could be another example - in that their release of lots of DLCs which, over time, invalidate the base game for people who have not purchased.

My main beef is with gambling. And for that we have Andrew Wilson to thank:

17. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

The other elephant in the room is the number of gamers willing to pre-order AAA games despite all the evidence that it gives the major studios no incentive to put out a decent product.