1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has it ever appeared to anyone, that Charlemagne was not the leader of HRE?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Maddin, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maddin

Maddin Chieftain

As the Title says: Has it ever appeared to anyone? The Holy Roman Empire of German Nations was actually formed hundreds of years after Charlemagne's death and consisted only of parts of "his" empire.

I find it very disturbing, that a game that focuses so much on history and takes so much pirde in spreading historic knowledge (especially through the Civilopedia) would make such a mistake. I think they just wanted to add Charlemagne because he was one of the greatest emperors of european history and simply picked up an empire for him, which noone really knows where to pinpoint. Actually he was the emperor of what would later become the French empire.

Did anyone find other, similar mistakes in the choice of leaders for certain civs?

2. sneaky

sneaky Chieftain

Has it ever appeared to you to actually look around for the dozens of threads already about this topic? ;)

3. AlessioCerci

AlessioCerci Chieftain

Not another one

4. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

For your question, Sitting Bull, Saladin (He's a Kurd).

But OMG this thread will hurt many people and later make a vacuum-effect, draining all of our brains out, then sucking our empty corpses up into the air under the mighty gaze of TheLastOne36, and our thread shall succumb into the epic Poland-Hitler-HRE discussion noooo--- shuckb

5. lionheart

lionheart Commander in Chieftain

LOL, Lord_Joakim.. :lol:

Maddin, a little search on 'HRE', 'Holy Roman Empire' and 'Charlemagne' would've gotten you a roughly a million posts of outraged CivFanatics at this subject. I study history and personally I really don't mind.. It's a game that deals with changing history as you see fit; I wouldn't worry too much about certain historical inaccuracies..

Now please, somebody close / delete this thread..

6. Zetetic Apparat

Zetetic Apparat Chieftain

It's a different Charlemagne, a secret one.

7. Spearthrower

Spearthrower Thrower of spears

Did anyone ever wonder why this forum has the most fantastic emoticon.....

:deadhorse:

8. Azander

Azander Fairy

I've actually met Charlemagne once. He insisted that he was the king of the Aztec empire.. there you have it!

9. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Demented Sociopath

He's not really Charlemagne, he's the Burger King.
    In any case, the HRE shouldn't even be in the game, let alone any debate about who should lead it. It's not a civ, never was a civ and never will be.

10. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

Answer:

Is poland's not in and HRE is, then FIREAXIS YOU HAVE GON COMPLETLY INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!11229Q.

11. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I think the word you're looking for is occurred, not appeared... Yes, it occurred to all of us considering we have dozens of threads on this subject already...

12. A1CBOZ

A1CBOZ Chieftain

Another one? ok.. lets bring in Poland, and Hitler vs Stalin. And hell, why not get going with Saladin being a Kurd....

:deadhorse: < I love that smiley....

EDIT: And of course we have to discuss how unfair it is that America has three leaders....
    someone shoot me....:(

13. Lance of Llanwy

Lance of Llanwy Chieftain

Let's not forget Vietnam and the messy "Native Americans" civilization! And Eurocentrism!

14. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Demented Sociopath

Actually it's more unfair that the country of cheese eating surrender monkeys gets three leaders.

Also, Stalin and Mao are worthless anti-civilisation scum and shouldn't be in the game.

And Ethiopia is a joke, especially led by a weak fool like Zara Yaqob.

And I get Roosevelt and Lincoln for America, but Washington? Come on, he may be the first President but he's primarily a general. Politically, he's blander than a beige Volkswagon van. Clearly it should've been Thomas Jefferson.

And why doesn't China have someone good and effective like Cao Cao instead of the half assed despots it has instead?

AND WHERE'S CANADA?

15. A1CBOZ

A1CBOZ Chieftain

Ok Ok. maybe we should stop this. i'm sure that the OP didn't expect to get roasted.

16. Angst

When you said the last thing about Canada I somehow felt that you might be speaking with irony. Do you?

17. flamingzaroc121

flamingzaroc121 Chieftain

aren't we going to discuss how Alexander isn't Greek, he is Macedonian? Why not throw in the fact Gilgamesh and Ragnar are not real?

18. Angst

We should be doing that, yes.

19. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Or the fact that the Byzantine Empire is completely made up by historians, there was never such thing as the Byzantine Empire. They still called themselves the Romans. During the Enlightenment, historians invented the term "Byzantine" to distinguish the Roman Empire from the the (Eastern) Roman Empire that endured after the fall of Rome. But I still am glad the Byzantines are in the game and calling them anything other than Byzantine would simply be too confusing.

20. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Well, just like in the game, it's fun to dogpile someone on the forum too! :D

Anyways, yes, it has "appeared" to many people. It came to Marla_Singer in a vision I know at least :mischief:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.