Has it ever appeared to anyone, that Charlemagne was not the leader of HRE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why doesn't England have The Duke of Wellington or Richard II?

Why doesn't China have T'ai Tsung or Wu Chao?

I like Charlemagne being added as a leader, but I hate the Holy Roman Empire added as a civilization. But Charlemagne brought Europe into the Middle Ages with the introduction of Feudalism, and THAT IS ONE OF THE GREATEST EVENTS IN HISTORY, ESPECIALLY THAT OF WESTERN COUNTRIES. And with the Civilization series western-oriented, he had to be in.:D :) :D

TheLastOne36: Do you play Tibia? :lol:

OK, that was an inside joke! :D

The new leader I wanted most was... I'll give you three clues.

1. He would be a German leader.

2. His last name begins with the letter "H".

3. He repaired the German economy during the Great Depression, but did not rule during WWII.

This leader would be perfect for an expansion pack called "Beyond the Sword".

The new leader I wanted most was... I'll give you three clues.

1. He would be a German leader.

2. His last name begins with the letter "H".

3. He repaired the German economy during the Great Depression, but did not rule during WWII.

This leader would be perfect for an expansion pack called "Beyond the Sword".

hitler = bad

why?

hitler = civ 4 ban in germany = sales go down.

Isn't the Tibia a bone near the knee or something like that?

Yes, but it is also an online RPG with around 300 hundred thousand people playing.
The thing is, there was a 'Polish invasion' in the game last years, and most people hate them.
Why? Because the game is in English, but half of them can't talk English at all, and 80% of them actually don't care. And they are the biggest cheaters(OK, Brazilians too, which have the same problem of not care, but are a smaller group) and they do stupidities like ask 'pl?' and if you say no, they kill you.

AH, but that is off-topic :p

Personally, I would have rather seen someone like Adenauer or Kohl... Iron Maggie for Britain too (though the Liz and Winston are good too).

I do highly object to Stalin being included... there were plenty of other Soviet leaders that could have been included that were not responsible for the deaths of 50+ million of his own people........

Now that i see i have some support behind me i'l unleash my full wrath! :evil:

last post:

Now for the new post.

And we saved Austria from Certein doom, Fought of the Swedes, Stopped a Cossack uprising, Gained Territory from Russia, Beat the Teutons, Fought in WW2 just as hard as france, Captured Moscow, fought many battles with the Ottomans and won, and basically held of the Mongol invasion of europe. (even though other things impacted that aswell)

Oh oh Yes we have.

only 1 of many examples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_of_Bar

1. Poland has always existed in one way or another.
2. only 1 block i could recal on. The Partisans.

Besides nobody could take us on 1 on 1, The partisans had Austria, Russia and Prussia against Germany, and WW2 had the Soviets and Germans against us.

For gods sake! One of our people discovered the Earth was ROUND!!!!

WTF Arguement is that!!! Everyone knows who Nicolas Copernicus is.

Where's your proof to that? My proof is wikipedia. They wouldn't put something in that's wrong, or else it would get deleted.

1. Poland did colonize. It's called Courland. :rotfl:
2. his arguement is that the colonioes eventually got independance.

that makes no sense.

ehh?

One could say the same thing for EVERY SINGAL CIV IN THE GOD DAMNED GAME!!!!!!!!!!

This is an English Forum. Duh. If it was a Polish forum we'd be speaking in Polish.

Ehh? Spanish is the most widespread language in the world. French is probably more widespread then english.

No one ever compared England to Poland in the first place.

no one compared Poland to England.

Your missing a few points.

1. Poland did colonize the world.
2. He never compared Spain and Portugal to Poland
3. He said nothing about Spain in the first place.

AND

4. Your offended me with those smileys you stuck in there.

YES

Nicolas Copernicus is one scientist that changed the world. Without him, there might have not even been any colonization for another century or so.

Did poland have any cultural influence comparitive to that of england, spain, or portugal? [p/quote]

NO ONE FRIGGEN ARGUED AGAINST THAT.

Oh and that fact that Poland was the strongets, Wealthiest, Biggest, and most advanced state in europe in the dark ages mean nothign to you?

Don't even get me started with the Spodek.

most of europe was leveled in technology in the Reniessance era. Including Poland.

the Khmer empire peaked around 1200 bc. The First Khmer state was around 803 ad.

Poland became a singal state long before 933 AD, when the first recorded Polish king was born. BEFORE that there was more polish kings. and before Poland became a unified state, there's evidence that there were Polish City states much like the Greek City States. So Polands history can be said to have began around 600-700 AD.

much longer then the Khmer.

Read Above.

No one stated that.

Phew i'm finnaly done.

"Captured Moscow": erm...when was this exactly? The only time Moscow was held by a foreign power in all of it's history was when it was surrendered to Napoleon in a tactical maneuver by General Kutusov that ultimately cost Napoleon the war. I would really like to know where you got your history from.

"Gained Territory from Russia": Throughout most of history it was definitely the other way around.

"For gods sake! One of our people discovered the Earth was ROUND!!!!" And the Greeks, Arabs, etc. did this how many hundreds of years before?

"Ehh? Spanish is the most widespread language in the world. French is probably more widespread then English." You sir, have your facts completely wrong. Just Google the phrase "english is the most widespread language in the world.

And yes someone did compare poland to England...see Crezth

"fought many battles with the Ottomans and won, and basically held of the Mongol invasion of europe."

I mean wow.... just wow

You mean Russia did all of those things? I mean I could believe that the poles had some skirmishes with the Ottomans but Russia took over 90% of the wrath of the Mongols and it was a Russian leader Knyaz Alexande Nyevski that actually managed to push the Mongols back to the far east...

I'm sorry sir, but you loose credibility with every counterpoint you made...

As to your reference to the Bar Confederation...I suppose resisting subjugation for roughly 2 years can be considered a military victory...when you consider the number of days poland lasted against Germany in ww2.

"Poland did colonize. It's called Courland." That you would even compare this to the colonization efforts of any of the colonial powers I mentioned is an insult to your credibility and to the intelligence of those that post on these forums.

Don't even get me started with the Spodek. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spodek
That is what you call a wonder?

I don't know what to say... I mean its obviously comparable to the Kremlin, the Pyramids. I mean especially when you consider that Rome built a number of coliseums without anything near the technology possessed in the 1970's.

I mean thats just......... ........ I can find no words to compare the actual wonders of the world referenced in civ 4 to spodek..... I concede that you prove a point very well indeed sir.

After you have read this site for a while, you will no longer be surprised at what great heights Poland's history can be ascribed with.... soon you'll be reading about how actually ONLY Poland has a right to be in the game... :lol:

Best thing is to take this nationalistic drivel with a pinch of salt, if there's one thing to be sure of, all it implies is a poor and very introverted education system.... some of the statements I've heard regarding other nations from Poles here could go into a book of quality quotes!! :D Bless 'em! ;)

The simple answer which defies so many people about why Firaxis choose X,Y or Z civ... is simply because they wanted to. It's only loosely based on history, their criteria were never solidified, they simply chose piecemeal.

Sometimes they chose because the nation was world reknowned for certain exploits.... i.e. British/Roman Imperialism..... other times to fill continental gaps i.e. Zulu / Khmer. Sometimes they chose based on marketing and selling their product i.e. America. Mostly they just chose whatever the hell they pleased and were interested in i.e. HRE.

Trying to find rhyme and reason is pointless, but still we will get another 900 threads a month decrying the HRE or demanding Poland.... more than anything else, it tells us a lot about the modern world and a lot about each others' societies, when we read the comments of some nationals here.

I have to agree with this completely.

"Captured Moscow": erm...when was this exactly? The only time Moscow was held by a foreign power in all of it's history was when it was surrendered to Napoleon in a tactical maneuver by General Kutusov that ultimately cost Napoleon the war. I would really like to know where you got your history from.

between the great wars, Polish-Soviet war. sometimes known as the Bolshevik war.

Seriously it's probably Russia's most important war, it decided the fate europe. (not the Polish part, but the Russian part)

"Gained Territory from Russia": Throughout most of history it was definitely the other way around.

Are you american?

"For gods sake! One of our people discovered the Earth was ROUND!!!!" And the Greeks, Arabs, etc. did this how many hundreds of years before?

ehh?

You sir, have your facts completely wrong. Just Google the phrase "english is the most widespread language in the world.

Really? just the 30 m canadians, 300 m americans and 50 m english = a total of 370 m, compared the Latin America, which i think may have more. You might be right on this however.

You mean Russia did all of those things?

Your a moron. Russia didn't became powerful in medieval europe BECAUSE of them!!!!

Russia took over 90% of the wrath of the Mongols

AND Russia failed.

and it was a Russian leader Knyaz Alexande Nyevski that actually managed to push the Mongols back to the far east...

Those were Tatars not Mongols. Your confusing yourself.

As to your reference to the Bar Confederation...I suppose resisting subjugation for roughly 2 years can be considered a military victory...when you consider the number of days poland lasted against Germany in ww2.

We lasted longer then the French. Your point?

That you would even compare this to the colonization efforts of any of the colonial powers I mentioned is an insult to your credibility and to the intelligence of those that post on these forums.

1. I said this almost half-jokingly.
2. Courland was no more a failure then the Swedish colonization lol.
3. you said poland did not colonize, i corrected you. I did not say courland was great.

Don't even get me started with the Spodek. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spodek
That is what you call a wonder?

It's in my home town, so yes i do consider it a wonder! :D

I have to agree with this completely.

if you do then your contradicting yourself. You say the exact opposite.

Leave CFC intill you have a brain about Polish History.

You must be American right? No one else would talk about Poland like that.

:lol: That is too funny. It holds 11,500 people :lol:

Can we have a Scottish civilization in the game too along with Poland please? Ok so we don't have nearly as many famous people as Poland does with Copernicus, Chopin, Marie-Curie and Joseph Conrad ;) (cough.. Bell, Fleming, Marconi, Burns, Scott, Adam Smith..)
But damn, we've got at least 15 world wonders with 4 of them in Edinburgh alone!

I mean please. Everyone pushing for countries like Scotland, Poland and Canada to be in the game needs to be a little bit less parochial for a minute and actually think about it. Sure each country had a handful of individuals who made a contribution to world development but that doesnt entitle them to a place in the game alongside proper civs like Egypt, China etc.

Well ok, it entitles Scotland. They did after all invent the modern world. Poland and Canada? Don't make me laugh.

I mean please. Everyone pushing for countries like Scotland, Poland and Canada to be in the game needs to be a little bit less parochial for a minute and actually think about it. Sure each country had a handful of individuals who made a contribution to world development but that doesnt entitle them to a place in the game alongside proper civs like Egypt, China etc.

HUH!!!What's that Big Red Country there!

HUH!!!What's that Big Red Country there!

Oooooooo! Your country's big and red!
Let's petition firaxis now to put it in alongside Australia and the Antarctic, those places are pretty big too.;)
And let's put Libya in too. Their country is double the size of Poland.

Oooooooo! Your country's big and red!
Let's petition firaxis now to put it in alongside Australia and the Antarctic, those places are pretty big too.;)

HUH!!!!! That's Impossible! How can a small little F***ing country like Poland beat ottomans and save Austria's ass?

Maybe someone was making a joke on Wikipedia.

----
I think that's the typical american view of Poland....

Really? just the 30 m canadians, 300 m americans and 50 m english = a total of 370 m, compared the Latin America, which i think may have more. You might be right on this however.

South America

But...Are we forgetting Brazil has 190,000,000 of people? :p
And we(Brazilians) do NOT talk Spanish..

HUH!!!!! That's Impossible! How can a small little F***ing country like Poland beat ottomans and save Austria's ass?

Maybe someone was making a joke on Wikipedia.

----
I think that's the typical american view of Poland....

Who said anything about Poland being little?
The point i was making (maybe a little too sacrastically for you, for that i apologise) is that just because the country covers quite a large area (in the second smallest continent on earth) has no bearing on whether it should be included in the game - hence the references to Australia, Libya and Antarctica.
And what's all this rubbish about a typical american view of poland? I've never been to America and have no American ancestry. Is this another symptom of your parochialism coming out that you feel the need to brand anyone disagreeing with your views as being part of the evil empire of America?

Poland lovers, enjoy:

"Poland's Ignacy Łukasiewicz discovered a means of refining kerosene from the more readily available "rock oil" ("petr-oleum") in 1852 and the first rock oil mine was built in Bóbrka, near Krosno in southern Poland in the following year. These discoveries rapidly spread around the world, and Meerzoeff built the first Russian refinery in the mature oil fields at Baku in 1861. At that time Baku produced about 90% of the world's oil."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum

Now, that is more modern an? xD
OK, completely off-topic, sorry! Couldn't resist using this random fact found in a random place in a random search by a bored guy(no, I was not searching anything about Poland)! :crazyeye:

I would call "uninformed", PotatoOverdose, your view of Poland.

But time and time again these arguments prove fruitless in all their endeavors. Poland's not in Civ because of elitists like yourself.

But I'm pulling out, and I'd advise you to read what you deface better: I never once compared Poland to any of England, Portugal, Spain, or America.

And America in Civ is a joke. Our influence is minimal: Oh, yes, world bloc, military bases everywhere: tell you what, American hegemony is going to collapse in twenty years. Then we, the Americans, will become "footnotes to history."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom