Has Southeast Asia ever had a Civ

Win a war, all of them can
Win a war against a superpower or a regional power, only Vietnam can

While I admit defeating the US and China (in the late 70s) was a spectacular show of determination on the part of the Vietnamese I wouldnt say only they could have done it. I am not saying that every Other SEA nation could do this, No. However I wont say that they coulndt do it either becouse frankly we dont know. If I remember correctly Malaysia gave Britian a pretty big mess in their bid for indipendance? Thailand stopped the Communinist movement That had taken all of the eastern half of the peninsula (without US dirrect aid, US troops did not fight in Thailand)

I will be one of the first to say perhaps the Vietnamese are the best deffensive fighters in the region. But I wont say only they could win a guarilla war VS a large power in the region. Right now the US is failing misarably in Iraq....and Iraqis dont have a third party superpower & a regional power supplieing them! Afganistan Beat the Soviets (Though the US lost more men in Vietnam than the Soviets did in Afgan over 10 years time) So its not compleatly alien for this to happen.

A determined population can make it hard for a Military in this day. Hard enough to where the invader would give it up and go home. So I cant say the Vietnamese are more determined than the Malays or Thais... we just dont know. THANK GOD we dont know!

They aren't from Oceania, they took it over. That would be like saying the Arabs are African ...

Polynesian civ was available in Civ Call to Power. i know it was published by Activision and not made by Fraxis, but it should coult :/

Win a war, all of them can
Win a war against a superpower or a regional power, only Vietnam can

we viets gotta owe it to the chinese, though, for toughening us up and preparing us to beat superpowers and regional powers. they gave us tons of practice, like once or twice each century.

hey, check out this new article on IGN! has a few intersting screenies...

http://pc.ign.com/articles/791/791168p1.html

looks like in one of the screenshots, along with what seems like a Babylonian, Sumerian, and Byzantine UU... THERE'S A SOUTHEAST ASIAN UU!!!

looks like a ballista elephant for the Khmer, maybe Thai, or... hopefully the Viets... but i think we could finally have a Southeast Asian civ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The warrior dudes look Grekified "Asia Minorians," the elephants look South East Asians, the archers look Mesopotamian (essentially "Asia Minorian" too), while the horses look a lot like an "Asia Minorian" Macedonian successor state (essentially Grekified, too) hetairoi.

Nothing Korean in what I see. Might be a successor state scenario (those elephants might be from the Seleucids, after all, because the details are too ambiguous).

Those horsemen look like Cataphracts. Seleucids possibly? The Elephants definitely look Southeast Asian. I doubt its a Viet unit (although my parents, who are both from Vietnam, say that old Vietnam did use elephants); more likely Thai. I'm assuming the archers are for Babylon; they look pretty Mesopotamian. I'm not sure what the warriors after the elephants look like.

Korea is definitely NOT SE Asia, by the way. It's Northeast Asia. ;)

The helmets strike you as Greek, too, don't they?

As for Korea, I think "Northeast" Asia is properly in Russia and Northern Japan.

Not really. I'm in Korea right now and people here consider this area to be part of "Northeast" Asia.

Those horsemen look like Cataphracts. Seleucids possibly? The Elephants definitely look Southeast Asian. I doubt its a Viet unit (although my parents, who are both from Vietnam, say that old Vietnam did use elephants); more likely Thai. I'm assuming the archers are for Babylon; they look pretty Mesopotamian. I'm not sure what the warriors after the elephants look like.

hello, Viet brother! yes, we viets did use elephants... but it looks like those elephants are more style-resemblant of the Khmer or possibly Thai.

but i'm still hoping for a Viet civ...

the warriors are sumerian (enkidu) warriors, i'm pretty sure.

as for the Cataphracts, the cross on their shields clearly show they are late classical or early medieval. Byzantine...

Top Bottom