1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Southeast Asia ever had a Civ

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by leftisthominid, Apr 19, 2007.

1. mitsho

mitsho Deity

About the "Elephant cannot be a unique unit because it's such a scarce ressource"-argument: What if the "Crossbow-elephant" replaces the catapult or Trebuchet as a siege weapon (the wiki-description could say that would be possible, not?). Of course, it would be strange then for that uu not to require ivory but hey, it would be suitable for gameplay.

2. SkippyT

SkippyT Who?

ehemm..conquistador reqs. iron and horse.

Maybe ivory is too rare..true.
    Perhaps this could be worked out with making Thai/Siam/Khmer/Vietnamese civ start near jungles? Maybe let Dutch, Portuguese, Vikings and English all start near sea also?

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

hehehe... according to Vietnamese legend, the "magical crossbow" was given by some heavenly turtle to some guy (forgot his name) who fought the CHinese and almost owned them before somehow getting betrayed (forgot how).

anyways, i also remember i saw some picture of Vietnamese elephants in a book about the Mongol Empire. the guys on the elephants actually looked kinda Indian.

so, giving Firaxis' history of sometimes having weird units, i think the vietnamese still have a good chance of being in. plus, as said before, putting in the viets will be good for marketing.

until then, we have to wait then, i suppose.

4. Koelle

Koelle King of Kings

5. Koelle

Koelle King of Kings

the guy is Vietnamese King An Duong Vuong. He fought another Vietnamese King, Trieu Da and lost because the crossbow was stolen by his son in law - Trieu Da's son. This is Vietnamese business and the Chinese were not involved

6. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

Trieu Da was a Qin general born in northern China. He was not a Viet or one of the Bach Viet.

7. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

oh, now i remember. :D

anwyasy, Ogodei the mad is right in that Trieu Da was a Qin general. but i think most vietnamese still consider him an "honorary Viet empror".

8. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

ok. so if these guys are actualy Viet, who do you think the leader would be? and the UB?

just speculating...

leaderwise, i hope Firaxis doesn't pick Ho Chi Minh. there are obvious reasons.

my pick would be either one of the Trung Sisters (because we need more female Asian leaders! ;) )... or Quang Trung (guy who *almost* invaded China sucessfully, we Viets love him)... or Le Loi (excellent emperor, one of the best of Vietnam).

UB-wise, maybe a House of Pho :drool: ? Ricepaddy?

what do you guys think?

9. Ogedei_the_Mad

Dinh Bo Linh. His dynasty didn't last, but he was the founder of the Dai Viet empire.

10. xfactor99

xfactor99 Warlord

I just asked my dad (a Vietnamese historian) who was the most important/significant person in Vietnamese history, and he says Ngo Quyen, because it was under him that the Vietnamese kingdom actually began.

He also says Quang Trung and Le Loi wouldn't be bad choices, not much for the Trung Sisters or Ho Chi Minh though...

I also have zero idea what a Vietnamese UB could be. House of Pho! Yeah, right...and the UU could very well be the Viet Cong. Actually, I believe that is actually the Vietnamese UU for CIVGold.

11. aneeshm

aneeshm Deity

To the extent that until a few centuries back, it was Greater India.

12. Koelle

Koelle King of Kings

That proves that ancient Vietnam's northern border was somewhere in northern China :D :lol: just kidding ... Btw, does it matter? Stalin was a Georgian, Catherine was a German, founder of Ming dynasty in China was a Muslim, founder of Ly dynasty was a Buddhist monk, Bin Laden was a Saudi Arabian, alot of Korea's and Taiwan's Lees are of Vietnamese descendants ... You dont need to be born in modern day Vietnam to be classified as Vietnamese

13. Ogedei_the_Mad

That's so...PRC. :p

Actually, the Nanyue kingdom did control a fairly large swath of territory in modern Guangdong and Guangxi provinces. The old capital was at Panyu, near present-day Guangzhou. Also, it is beleived by some, however that Trieu Da adopted Yue / Viet customs when he became ruler of the Nanyue Kingdom. The Yues had a fairly distinct culture and even by the early Song Dynasty period when there was a mass migration southward, scholars commented on how different the indigenous peoples (the Min and the Baiyue) of the south were. :)

14. Koelle

Koelle King of Kings

Dinh Bo Linh or Dinh Tien Hoang would be a good choice because he was the founder of the Empire (the name by then was Dai Co Viet - Strong and Great Viet Empire) and the name is easy to pronounce (similar to Qin Shi Hoang). Quang Trung or Tran Hung Dao should be picked if Vietnam gets Protective or Agressive trait. The first almost captured back nowaday Guangdong und Guangxi provinces in China after defeating a Qing's 200.000 men strong army. But he was poisoned and died at the age of 40. The latter drove out 2 Mongol's invasions. On both occasions, his army was outnumbered by 2-1 or 3-1. They were true military geniuses.

But i think an ancient leader will be picked, probably the Trung Sisters, because the units look like Trung's war elephants while the huge crossbow is nothing rather than the Magic Crossbow of another ancient King I mentioned above - An Duong Vuong. Just wait and see

15. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

i like for the Trung Sisters to be picked... now we have someone else besides Cathy or Isabella to fight. ;)

16. GrandSultan

GrandSultan Full Time Hypocrite

Trung Sisters, definatley. We definatley need more female leaders.

17. Koelle

Koelle King of Kings

first ever asian female leaders, but i'm not sure if they pick all 2 sisters or just the elder sister

18. mitsho

mitsho Deity

two sisters on one leaderhead? What would they do? (kiss each other? would be firaxislike ;).

No, I don't think we will get 2 persons on one leaderhead. For Vietnam, I would say Ho Chi Minh is the most probable choice, he is modern, known in the world, etc.

Btw. I did surprise me that they took Justinian over Theodora...

19. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

no, i think Uncle Ho, though a likely choice, he'd be THE worse choice.

as for the Trung sisters... well, i imagining them more like... some cute little girl just beating the crap out of you and taunting you... like a more extreme Cathy. hehe...

20. andrewlt

andrewlt Prince

I like Pho House as the UB. +1 health? ;)