1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has the AI been dumbed down from Press Build release?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Conspirator, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Conspirator

Conspirator Prince

Sorry I tried searching for a thread talking about this but the search ability does not allow words shorter than 3 letters, so 'ai' is out. What's the story on this? Why would anyone possibly think that the AI has been purposefully dumbed down?

2. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I've only seen it as a single opinion post from Azazell who had the opportunity to play the press build.

3. ChaplainDMK

ChaplainDMK Warlord

It ain't so bad... But it aint genious.
    Its too warmongery (Civilizations are almost always at war with each other) so evreybody is realy worn out all the time, and they don't have the tactical manouvering thing down too good so you have them sending transports across bays when you have your ships there (i destroyed 3 modern armor, 2 rocket arty, a SAM and a bunch of mechenised infantry when the AI sent them over a bay where i had 3 battleships, 2 carriers and a load of destroyers). But otherwise it aint as bad as people made it up.

4. gingerbill

gingerbill Prince

agree with chaplain DMK its not as bad as people make out . I hear how 'everyone can beat it on immortal' , :):):):):):):):) i say as the steam stats show hardly anyone has .

I was playing my second game on prince and it was nothing like my first game . Was playing on continents and thinking i was the 'big man in town' till i started interacting with the other continent . One of them had taken over the entire continent , he has so many cities and huge armies its mental.

5. Newcomer24

Newcomer24 Warlord

No... the Ai was not dumbed down for the release, it wouldn't make any sense.
    If they had a better Ai and found that the game was too hard for their taste they would have removed all the cheats it currently uses on harder difficulty levels.

Coding a good AI is a very long and time consuming task... if you manage to build a somewhat decent AI the last thing you will do is dumbing it down.

The truth is that the current Civ5 AI is bad, not only the military and diplomatic AI... also the economic one, I play on Emperor (and used to play on Emperor in Civ4)... the game is just noticiably easier.

I'm sure it will get better overtime.

6. SevenSpirits

SevenSpirits Immortal?

:lol: You think the kind of person who is good and wants to be challenged (and thus plays on immortal) is going to finish their games if they aren't?