Has the AI ever take a city of yours in war

jojorah

Prince
Well the title says it all, for me no. But im sure there is at least one civer out there where that has happend.

In my last game on Emperor i have been Japan, stanard size, and conquered 3 AI's. Then i was sick of fighting and wanted to finish peacefully. Then later 3 of the 4 remaining untouched civs dowed on me. I had only like 10 units total and while they (partly) had rifles, I had not. Suleyman simply flooded me with units. He had like 20 Sipahis and upgraded (to rifles) Janitshar. Took 5 cities from me while i could hold all other fronts.

In the end the war raged 150 turns and ended in world domination for me :king:

I've never had it happen. I'm not much of a warmongerer so maybe that's why. I usually keep a very small army (1 or 2 units per city max) but if DoW'd I'll just buy extra units.

The closest call was when I was outteched and surrounded by Washington. I was outnumbered in fighting a two-front war with two chokepoints, but by buying a few units the poor AI was easy to beat. They almost took my cities if only they hadn't send the second half of their invasion force by sea for no apparent reason. I sank one unit every turn with a caravel.

I have lost cities a couple of times. Usually if I'm attacked on two fronts or as a result of a "surprise" attack. I even lost a city during an amphibious assault, well they landed nearby and then attacked so technically not a "true" amphibious assault.
But I most often retake the cities during the same war if I feel that I can or quit if I feel that I have lost the war and therefore the game.

As a comparison I must say that I have rarely lost a city in any civ game unless attacked by surprise, fighting two-front war, or simply during an overrun (in which case I usually quit).

Lost cities for sure.

To CYZ, I think it's risky to field a small army, depending on your closest neighbours.
For example Greece and Rome take a small defence force as an open invitation..

Of couse it's handy to have gold reserve for cases such as that.

Lost cities for sure.

To CYZ, I think it's risky to field a small army, depending on your closest neighbours.
For example Greece and Rome take a small defence force as an open invitation..

Of couse it's handy to have gold reserve for cases such as that.

I prefer using diplomacy to avoid war. This saves money. Usually I'll keep a small army even when I know an invasion is coming, I'll then rushbuy the units I need, where I need them.

Also, since they removed the gold cost from defensive buildings, I don't hesitate to build those if I don't have anything important to produce instead. It can make a big difference.

With the current AI, it's usually very easy to defend against larger and stronger forces.

I usually don't lose my core cities (like the three or four first build cities) but I have often lost a prized conquered city (like an enemy capital), or a frontier city, or a 'colony'.
If that didn't happen I would find the game very boring. If it doesn't happen in three of four games then I up the level.

Taking cities from a player (by AI) is very difficult, especially when you're the one declaring war, but it happens to me sometimes when I am waging a war in the south and then my opportunistic northern neighbour DoWs me.

I lost a couple... each in different wars and games. :blush: Each involved me completely ignoring my neighbor as any kind of threat - doubting their ability to even navigate their units into my borders - while my troops are fighting wars on the other side of the empire. Then neglecting to buy some units to repel the attack... again doubting their ability to navigate their units towards the city and actually attacking it, not just bombarding...

Since I don't play at a level unsuitable for me, yeah sure. It's called upping the difficulty.

Cute. There are however people who dislike the elegant "difficulty", that simply provides massive bonuses to the AI...

Quite a few times. Sometimes, I just haven't teched towards rifling, or haven't upgraded my units, so when 10 or so rifles start pouring over my border it's difficult to repel the invasion. Or sometimes the city is not close to my centre of power, or the AI is more powerful than I expected, or has a million planes/nukes that I can't seem to shoot down. It happens sometimes, and often having lost one city, in certain circumstances, can lead to certain death. Other times, it's easy to just take it all back

Sure, I've lost cities. Sometimes, if I have a lot of natural barriers on one of my borders (e.g., a mountain range), I'll settle or capture a city on the 'exposed' side of that barrier, and that will become a defensive outpost. I'll keep a handful of defensive units in my core empire and then I'll litter the land of defensive outpost with mostly offensive units. That outpost will often change hands numerous times, thus wearing down any aggressors and ensuring the safety of my core empire. I had a great game like this awhile back where I was situated somewhat like Spain is irl: on a peninsula with a long, tall mountain range blocking almost my entire landward flank. Where the chain had passes there was either marsh or a 5-tile-wide range of hills.

I think I won a time victory that game, as I was experimenting heavily with diplomacy given my virtual impregnability. At one point I single handedly got the entire continent involved in war without lifting a weapon myself. That was one of the most enjoyable games of civ I've ever played.

I also had one where Napoleon made a strong push into the edges of my sprawling empire, managing to take 2 - 3 cities before I managed to get them back and take a few of his. I had overextended myself quite a bit and was lucky I wasn't overrun. We ended up at war for most of the rest of the game while Darius ran away with the game on another continent.

Cute. There are however people who dislike the elegant "difficulty", that simply provides massive bonuses to the AI...

Everyone's different I guess. Some people are playing just imagining make believe story worlds in their heads, others play just to relax. I approach the game like it's a puzzle, the hardest difficulty levels are a specific challenge that I have to overcome by really thinking about it and working out a way to win. Hey, at least everyone's catered for.

Unfortunately, they really don't have a leg to stand on concerning complaints about the game being too easy. It's not like it's something new to the gaming industry, or even Civ, that difficulty is often achieved not by making the AI smarter, but by increasing the AI's bonuses. Every previous Civ game worked difficulty in precisely this way, and while it's not ideal, it's all we're going to get any time soon.

But Snarz nailed it - people play for different reasons. Some people play not wanting to feel like the the reaper is knocking on their door every ten minutes and rather want to see their empire grow without the AI threatening to hammer it into pieces. Eh, if they enjoy the game that way, more power to 'em - it's one of the ways the game is meant to be played.

Top Bottom