Hatty's Mummy has been found!

Your right. Not directly Civ-related, but interesting :)

Slobadog said:
The BTS forum has been overrun by HRE threads, Poland Petitions, Boudicca lust topics, complaint gatherings, fallency discussions, polls and personal pet Civ/leader inclusion demands.

I figured it was better than all those topics, lol.

That's not my hatty.

I think its not your HAtty. I think the speculation is that Hapshepsut is a differnt mummy found there. We will see what Hawass says.

This is MAJOR, MAJOR news in Egyptology. Its really huge. Hawass had denied the find originally, we will see what changed his mind.

WOW!

Breunor

She has a very large, fat body with huge pendulous breasts
If that mummy is Hatty, they will need to re-do her leaderhead!

This is MAJOR, MAJOR news in Egyptology. Its really huge. Hawass had denied the find originally, we will see what changed his mind.

That's exactly why I'm very skeptical. :) Finding Hatty's mummy is huge enough a topic for even a reluctant scientist to delude himself a little. Anyway, let's see what evidence he has to offer in today's press conference. My prediction is that the experts' opinions will be very divided afterwards.

Grrr. I always was jealous of people who study egypt get their own -ology. I want to be a Teutonologist. :p

does religion freakishness run in the family.

Here's the result of the press conference:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/06/27/egypt.mummy.ap/

DNA testing sounds pretty conclusive, as long as the inner organs that were used for cross-referencng can safely be attributed to Hatshepsut (which I'm currently not sure about).

Unfortunately (though not unexpectedly), CNN is a bit short with regards to the details that matter ...

The New York Times article has more details on the testing:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Egypt-Lost-Queen.html

They matched DNA from the mummy to DNA from Hatty's grandmother. They also matched a tooth taken from a box of internal organs labeled with Hatty's name to the mummy. The mitochondrial DNA tests are only preliminary at this point (regular DNA comes from both parents, mitochondrial DNA comes only from the mother, and the lack of mix-and-match over generations allows for more precise determinations of ancestry).

I think we should start a petition for the press to start referring to her as "Hatty" :lol:

Wow, you guys are quick! I just saw the news at Yahoo and was going to post a thread about it, only to find there are 3 threads on this already!

I've merged the 3 threads into 1.

Top Bottom