1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have republicans already stolen the 2008 election?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JeffIllinois, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Quiet Sound

Quiet Sound - This title left blank -

The concern seems less about people voting early and often than it is about the people counting the votes. Unless you're refering to the voter purging?

2. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Obama and his goons at Acorn know a thing or two about rigging an election.

3. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

Well, it's official.

With Luckymoose writing that, I've now seen posts by CFC'ers accusing both Obama AND McCain of rigging elections.

4. Arwon

Arwon

You know that if it's a country giving permission it's actually exercising its sovereignty, right?

5. Sharwood

Sharwood Rich, doctor nephew

Maybe he wants the UN to override US sovereignty? :p

6. aelf

aelf Ashen One

I say the US elections should be monitored by everyone including Zimbabwe just to piss some people off so that they will go home and cry about sovereignty, which they don't actually give a crap about on principle, pray for salvation and hug their shotguns :D

7. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Here's a thought: if the presidential elections could actually be rigged, why do the candidates go through all this trouble to convince voters they're it?

On the UN: the UN isn't a supranational organization. It's an international organization, meaning if a country doesn't want the UN in, it doesn't get in.

8. I'm Cleo!

I'm Cleo! Deity

Well, given the uncertainty of any vote-counting system, Gore appears to have received more votes, but since you have to follow Florida election law and eventually that results in an end to counting, you might end up with Bush winning Florida's electoral votes because after the counting ended, he had more votes. You know what I mean? (I know I'm not expressing myself well.)

Don't get me wrong: Bush v. Gore is awful. As Justice Stevens said in his opposition to certiorari, "counting every legally cast vote cannot constitute 'irreparable harm.'" But if the Supremes had not taken the case and the recount proceeded as the Gore team had requested, providing a Bush victory according to Florida law, Bush wouldn't have "stolen" the election.

Cleo

9. I'm Cleo!

I'm Cleo! Deity

The people can't think it's rigged. You have to present the illusion of competition. Saddam-style elections wouldn't work.

Cleo

10. McManus

McManus Thinkers friend

No offence, but to have this kind of stuff even possible kinda takes a whiz on the US being the worlds greatest democracy.

(I'll post this in both threads to be fair..)

11. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

OK, let's just say it's rigged. Kindly inform us who's the winner already. The suspense is killing me. (And I'm sure I'm not alone.)

OK, but seriously: US presidential elections being rigged sounds like just like another conspiracy theory. And you can't convince a conspiracy theorist, because he'll just think you're part of it. Although the "Saddam-style elections" kinda does this one in. Iraq had a one-party system; at least the US got two. (Hell, even independent candidates can run. Try that in Cuba.)

12. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Elections don't have to be either completely rigged or not rigged at all. There can be some skulduggery happening without it being a total sham. Why does this even need to be spelled out?

13. Arwon

Arwon

Because not all countries have had a long historical experience of expertly skullduggered but theoretically competitive elections like yours has!

14. aelf

aelf Ashen One

:lol: True. But US-style elections seem to have developed their own expertise in grey areas like the OP describes.

And I was actually replying to the post above mine, which seems to imply that either the elections are rigged or they are not.

15. Murky

Murky Deity

I thought it was only us lefties that had the tin-foil hat conspiracy theories. Soon there will be a shortage of aluminum foil.:rolleyes:

16. aelf

aelf Ashen One

17. JeffIllinois

JeffIllinois Prince

All this FoxNews anti-ACORN propaganda is meant to legitimize republican secretaries of state around the country as they conduct massive voter purges. ACORN flags fraudulent registrations themselves.

If that's what it comes down to, with the republicans having stolen the last two elections, I hope the democrats go ahead and steal this one before the republicans can. I'll go to Wisconsin/Indiana and vote five times under five different names if that what it takes. Just give me the fake Wisconsin/Indiana drivers licenses and the addresses of the polling places. Anything to save this country from another four years of hell.

18. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

Last two???

19. JeffIllinois

JeffIllinois Prince

Yeah, Florida in 2000, and Ohio in 2004. Harris and Blackwell were both Secretaries of State and chairmen of the Bush campaigns in those states.

20. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

So....two non-existent wrongs make a right? Fascinating moral theory you've got there.