Have we gone mad?

classical_hero

In whom I trust
http://genderfluidsupport.tumblr.com/gender/
Gender Master List

This is an ongoing list of gender identities. If you see an identity with a confusing or wrong description, feel free to message us about it and we will answer as soon as possible. Feel free to mix and match your own prefixes and suffixes to create the identity that best describes you.

Any gender named _gender may be made into _boy, _girl, _nonbinary, etc.

(example: demigender, demiboy, demigirl, deminonbinary)

On this website there are a list of 112 "genders" you can be. Are they serious?

Here are some really good ones.
Affectugender: a gender that is affected by mood swings
Ambonec: identifying as both man and woman, yet neither at the same time
Collgender: the feeling of having too many genders simultaneously to describe each one
Genderfuzz: coined by lolzmelmel; the feeling of having more than one gender that are somehow blurred together to the point of not being able to distinguish or identify individual genders; synonymous with blurgender

Quite frankly the way they are described they sound more like the ramblings of a mental patient than someone who is serious.
http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2016/01/16143/
Where Is the Evidence?

More fundamentally, there is no consensus on the etiology of the diverse expressions of “gender identity variants.” Some LGBTQ advocates theorize that nonconforming sexuality is caused by certain family dynamics in the context of a bi-gendered patriarchal society. Others postulate that unidentified genetically based sex-hormone abnormalities cause transgenderism or homosexuality, even when there are no abnormalities of the reproductive anatomy.

Evidence-based conclusions are utterly lacking, whatever the claims of activists. Without clear distinctions not only among categories of the potentially mentally disordered but also between the mentally disordered and the normal population, how are diagnosis and treatment decisions to be made? It is hardly possible to pass disability laws without reliable diagnostic categories.

Most proposed legislation is driven not by medical research or theoretical differences but by the desire to make private or government insurance money available for hormone and surgical “treatment” for nonconformists experiencing psychological distress. The American Psychiatric Association has stated this unambiguously in its DSM-5, the current diagnostic manual. Pathologizing states of mind—even distress—simply to make insurance money available for attempts to change those states through surgical, medical, and cosmetic alterations to the body is simply not sound science. Neither is it just to the larger community that pays for medical insurance and funds the Affordable Care Act. Surely, in a domain with such drastic proposed “therapy,” it is not too much to ask for a solid evidence-based statement of who is being treated, for what, and why, before writing the prescription.

Our society cannot reasonably be expected to unquestioningly accept psychiatric “treatments” that strain our concepts of medical ethics, standards of care, and malpractice up to and past the breaking point.
We have gone this way without any evidence at all. This is quite frankly madness and should be stopped.

Which one do you identify with ? There are so many to choose from!

Systemgender: a gender that is the sum of all the genders within a multiple or median system

I feel like that mostly. Sometimes I feel like that divided by pi.

I frankly don't see how one could feel as something other than male or female or possibly a mix of the two. It's also curious that male and female fall under these cryptic labels or are added as a suffix in some form rather than being genders in of themselves. It's all very strange to me.

But then again who am I to tell other people what they should feel like?

..."we"?

This more or less identifies the problem with permitting 'gender' to be an identity construct. There's a theoretically infinite number of identity constructs, so the moment that you let gender be an identity construct you basically are forced to empower some agency to sort through the possible constructs and label some subset of them to be meaningful while disallowing others. Otherwise, the concept loses all meaning and atrophies.

It's worth noting that, at least in the US, people are essentially giving the government tacit authority to do exactly that via the Census with regard to race.

Don't think there's anything mad about this, these people do what socially awkward teenagers always do, come up with things that make them special to counter the fact that they're probably having a hard time in reality. It's ridiculous and the internet has certainly driving this stuff further towards the extreme, but I assume people will grow out of it as the generations before them also did.

Also, in my generation those people celebrated self-harm, depression and suicide. I'd argue the current stuff, while ridiculous, is comparably harmless.

It seems we also do the same thing with religion, yeah?
We've known for a long time that neither gender nor sex were binary. This doesn't imply I like long lists of options. I can just see why they exist

Eh. How is sex not binary?

There is no social concept of sex, that's gender.

Thats great that you're using good terminology. Now, are you uncertain that sex is non-binary in:
a) Humans
b) Mammals
c) Vertebrates
d) Multi-cellular eukaryotes?

Because there are obvious examples of species with many different variations and reconfigurations of male and female, and I'd have thought sufficient less common developmental pathways in humans that it wasn't a controversial concept.

and I'd have thought sufficient less common developmental pathways in humans that it wasn't a controversial concept.
By that logic the human species does not have 2 legs biologically, it has 0, 1 or 2 (possibly also 3+) legs, because the body does not always manage to correctly form our lower-body extremities.

It is clear that when the body is being formed the blueprint for that is either a male or a female. Everything in-between is a biological accident. A person that is born with such biological accidents will, assuming they're even able to reproduce, once again produce babies that again use the blueprint of either a man or a woman.

Sex is a binary.

I think it's no weirder than the various neologisms coined to describe highly specific positions on the asexual spectrum. Autochorisexuality is a particularly odd term, though I have heard aegosexuality used instead.

By that logic the human species does not have 2 legs biologically, it has 0, 1 or 2 (possibly also 3+) legs, because the body does not always manage to correctly form our lower-body extremities.

It is clear that when the body is being formed the blueprint for that is either a male or a female. Everything in-between is a biological accident. A person that is born with such biological accidents will, assuming they're even able to reproduce, once again produce babies that again use the blueprint of either a man or a woman.

Sex is a binary.

Biology has no "intent". You're confusing most common developmental pathways with correctness.

Top Bottom