Have You Beat "Sid" Difficulty?

Tony Montana

Chieftain
Hello once again. Have you ever beaten the hardest difficulty, "Sid"? I'm working my way up the difficulty levels (and I'll keep it to myself ;)) and I was wondering if anyone had actually won the game on the highest difficulty possible. I know I am miles away from it and I shouldn't even be thinking about it yet! If you have, or have any thoughts on it, please post!

If you have beaten it on "Sid", you definitely have my respect.

Some people have. I've tried, but failed.

A. You need to steal techs to keep up. That, or get lucky and get the Great Library.
B. Artillery. Without Catapults, you have no chance.
C. Rig the game. Try an archipelago with a Seafaring civ. Try dry with Agricultural.

I have proved, three times now, that the AI can beat me at Sid.

Nope. Haven't beaten a game past Emporer (which I have beaten).

SirPleb has.

I beat the Firaxis Middle Ages scenario on Sid once, but Demi-god is the best I can do on the Epic game.

I don't consider beating one of the conquests to be a true Sid victory you are playing the same map/scenario over and over learning from your mistakes, plus Civ were eliminated when their kings were killed. If you get a quick start, there isn't much difference between the levels.

Edit: Spelt Sirpleb's name wrong.

Beating Sid will be my first priority once i manage to get a copy of Conquests...
[OFF TOPIC]
homeyg, correct me if i'm wrong but... that program you're advertising in your sig, isn't it a spam engine? And you've also uploaded it in the CivFanatics server. Unless i'm wrong, some people may not like it at all.
[/OFF TOPIC]

I don't bother with Deity or Sid level. You have to rig the game and then you lose too much of what makes the game fun (wonder building, discovering techs yourself, etc.)There's only a narrow path you must follow to win at the upper levels and I don't enjoy it. YMMV

tR1cKy said:
Beating Sid will be my first priority once i manage to get a copy of Conquests...
[OFF TOPIC]
homeyg, correct me if i'm wrong but... that program you're advertising in your sig, isn't it a spam engine? And you've also uploaded it in the CivFanatics server. Unless i'm wrong, some people may not like it at all.
[/OFF TOPIC]

It's a harmless tool to have fun with. This is not like email spamming. If I get more complaints I'll take it out.

Beating Sid? No way. I am happy to just win on Monarch consistently... :p

I have "beaten" sid once, but I can't count that, because I reloaded several(3-4) times, so it was cheating. Deity and sid are two COMPLETELY different things. In deity, you can win without GL and don't need great starting position and you can even make a few mistakes and get away with that. So I disagree with GUNKULATOR, DEITY is still very much playable level for some selfresearching and wonder building and you can use different tactics there. In Sid the game culminates around GL, you have to either build it or capture it to have any chance of winning.

I beat Sid once. As the Byzantines, with a six-cow start. It was not really Sid difficulty. I've also been beaten up badly multiple times on Sid, enough that I've given up on beating again it by myself. Maybe on an 80%-water Archipelago map someday.

Ok, I don't normally post, but I have to set the record straight. You do NOT have to rig the game to beat civ3 conquests at Sid. However, you must understand quite a lot about the game, and you must micromanage everything, and even then you may need a little luck. That is, I don't think anyone can win every single random game at Sid level.
I've been playing Civ since the DOS days, and often. Now my favorite game is Sid level, huge map, 15 opposing AI, raging hordes, and EVERYTHING else random (normal aggressiveness). This setting is suicide for a newbie, but I assure you that I win more often than I lose (maybe closer to even if you count the games I abort very early because my starting position is badly damaged by barbs or evil neighbors almost right away). :cry: Sometimes you take risks that don't pay off and if things go too badly you get the sense of when to throw in the towel. But you'd be surprised how small and pathetic you can be in relation to all the AI and still end up winning.
First advice is practice every civ and really learn how to exploit strengths and weaknesses. Use diplomacy often and get comfortable checking most known civs for possible deals every turn (you'll need it at the high levels).
Start playing whatever level lets you win sometimes but lose often. Then figure out how to change that to win often, lose rarely. Then move up.
The key is that the game itself changes as you move up. That's part of the fun. At low levels you can do anything you want, but if you want to move up you need to learn how to adjust your strategy according to your civ advantages, your terrain, your nearby civs, your borders, what you can buy/sell/trade etc.
At Sid it is impossible to keep up with the AI early, so you must learn a skill not needed at lower levels: how to play "catch up". You must placate all opponents early, usually, and most opponents nearly all game, because you definitely can't fight more than one AI, and usually even then you can only fight effectively in "Blitzes". Use much diplomacy to keep most civs polite to gracious (easier said than done), and let no one be furious for long unless you want war.
Then, buy/sell/trade to acquire resources, luxuries, and techs (the AI will get them first nearly all game until you catch up, if you ever do). Form alliances. Since Ai builds at twice your rate, you have no hope to beat it one on one in a long war. But if you have 14 allies you may wipe up an otherwise unbeatable opponent. Plus you'll make lots of AI "friends" who will give you good terms on your deals.
It follows that you should avoid MPP unless you're very weak and suspect you can't get allies otherwise. Usually an MPP will only draw you into a war you can't win sooner or later, and you'll have to pay big to get out of it, and risk breaking an alliance in the process.
ROP is a real friend, though, provided that the AI on the other end isn't likely to sneak attack, or provided that you might welcome the typically lame sneak attack that might come initially so that you could fight a war without any damage to your relations with other AI.
Finally, when you first start playing a level, abort bad starts. The reason is not just that you're less likely to win. The reason is that you may not get to finish the game. Then you don't get to practice the whole game, so you don't get better as quickly. Alternatively, you could "tailor" your civ to a particular map to insure a good start. For instance, seafaring civ on an island map, etc. The danger of that is you will fall in love with a particular civ and not learn how to play the others.
One more comment about Sid. All the stuff they tell you in the forum about strategies for city placement, etc. goes out the window. Oh, you need to know it all, just in case you can use it. However, the reality is you get your cities in anywhere you can, because the AI will crowd you so quickly as to make you want to scream. And the AI will cheat. That is, it will grab all of those resources that you can't see. So you just grab as much and as good land as you can as fast as you can. Then you hope to be able to defend it and populate it more densely. Then military buidup (usually) and attack for new scraps of land one bit at a time.
My last game (finished this weekend) was set as I described above, and I got Aztecs on a barren, icy rock (many mountains) in the North Sea. Not a good start. Worse, not a single luxury on the rock. But enough land for about 20 very crowded (close together) cities. Of course, another civ invaded my rock before I could settle it all, so I prepared for war, etc. Anyway, I eventually got the whole rock and built it up. I won this awful start (diplomatic victory about 1500 AD) without taking advantage of save/load, etc. So it's quite doable. But it takes lots of practice. Good luck! :goodjob:
ps. Reply about stealing. Yes, there are times you want to steal techs at Sid, because it's often so much cheaper than buying. But remember that this often leads to war. Hence you steal always from one or two civs all game because you can't afford more to be pissed at you. Once you get espionage you always steal from the civ you are fighting. Never steal from any civ with which you have good relations. It's not worth it, except, of course, something like fission if you think you can build UN before AI or Literacy for Gr. Lib, etc. But most of the game at Sid you can forget about wonders. They're for the AI. You won't have the tech to start them first and you can't build anywhere near as fast. The only thing I do is record (on a piece of paper) where each wonder is built because of course my miserable, ignorant hordes dream of the day when we might conquer such a wonder and claim it as our own. :mad:

@ philclasses,
Can you post a save game file from your last game so I can search and study how a truly masterful and experienced player like you play sid? That way mere mortal like me can maybe someday be as good as you.

When i got C3C, the first thing i did was play Sid. I played 2 games only that i gave up on. After conquering 1 opponent, i ran into a brick wall as all cities were extremely well defended for the AI had fought no wars amongst eachother. They were not certainly lost, but a conquest victory seemed impossible and i don't want to spend time trying to go for UN. UN is not a real victory for me.

Afterwards i did one more try but i only played the expansion phase of that game and then lost my save when i forgot to back it up during an OS reinstall.

So unfortanately i have not beaten sid. I am however fairly sure i am able to. I was reasonably close in those first tries, i have learned a lot since then and i am very comfortable at deity level. I am just too lazy to do it since it requires a rediculous level of care and attention. Every city should be micromanaged meticulous, every few turns, i should take a day to evaluate my strategy and plans etc.
I have more fun just playing some comfortable emperor/diety gotm games and compete against humans.

I have enough trouble as it is beating Deity huge lush pangaea 15 civs.

Sid = :suicide:

Time breakdown:

Monarch= 20% civ 80% social life
Emperor= 50% civ 50% social life
Deity = 70% civ 30% social life
Sid = 100% civ social life ? waz that ? :lol:

Say Philclasses, I suspect you already know you can hit the F7 button to see where all the Wonders have been built without having the need to record it on a piece of paper. Oh, and welcome to CFC ! ;)

I can agree with everything philclasses wrote.
Just keep in mind that large/huge is easier than standard/small on Sid, by a wider margin.
On Sid, there is absolutely nothing you could do about one AI with 50% land. Not even allying the world will stop them. But this situation is a lot less likely on bigger maps.
On Civs: I agree you have to learn how to use any Civ most effective. However, I would exclude EXP Civs from Sid. The whole trait isn't working (AGR Civs/ England/ Hittites start with Pottery as well, and you can't get anything useful from huts).

Techs: Usually, you can trade/pointy stick for AA techs. You need to steal about half of the MA ones, and most of the IA techs. Don't expect to get a IA/Modern tech for peace. Even if you managed to beat down an AI to a single undefended (Bombers) size 1 town, they won't give you any techs.

Wars: A general rule: Yo can succesfully and efficiently attack a Sid AI. But, you cannot defend against an average Civ on the same landmass. You must smell the beacon, and strike first in such a case.

Resources: A key element. You cannot outproduce/outresearch the Sid AI ever. But what's a tech lead worth when they have no Oil ;) ? Or, without Alu and Uranium, they cannot launch ever...

Yes, I have beaten Sid. A few times only, but I can beat it with enough work - I just do not consider it much fun for the most time.

Tomoyo said:
Some people have. I've tried, but failed.

A. You need to steal techs to keep up. That, or get lucky and get the Great Library.
B. Artillery. Without Catapults, you have no chance.
C. Rig the game. Try an archipelago with a Seafaring civ. Try dry with Agricultural.

I play as the only civ that starts with alphabet
Minimize writing and literature
Build the GL and by the time it expires you have around 10,000 gold

Jopedamus I said:
I have "beaten" sid once, but I can't count that, because I reloaded several(3-4) times, so it was cheating. Deity and sid are two COMPLETELY different things. In deity, you can win without GL and don't need great starting position and you can even make a few mistakes and get away with that. So I disagree with GUNKULATOR, DEITY is still very much playable level for some selfresearching and wonder building and you can use different tactics there. In Sid the game culminates around GL, you have to either build it or capture it to have any chance of winning.

Yeah diety is so much different I actually got 15k in one city without even trying it, and I was so far ahead in technology

Top Bottom