Have you been Baptised?

Baptised?

• Total voters
CivGeneral said:
Actualy, I was refering to my own baptism on finding out if its done by immersion or not. Sorry if my earlyer post was not clear :o.
It most probably was either sprinkling or pouring. With my first baptism, I had water poured on me. With my second baptism, I was immersed into water.

@Drewcifer - Have you considered on which faith you wish to convert to? I often wonder how people rased without a religion can find religion on their own. I guess God works in mysterious ways.

CivGeneral said:
@Drewcifer - Have you considered on which faith you wish to convert to? I often wonder how people rased without a religion can find religion on their own. I guess God works in mysterious ways.
I am partial to Zen Buddhism though it is not a religion per se but more a personal process. It seems to be based on building by looking within and finding trancendenence and understanding internally rather than by being told. I have studied a bit of it and practice zazen meditation regularly, it seems to make a lot of sense for me. Religions may or may have not been born with a spark of insight but they are all products of man today. Man is flawed.

Edit: as I understand it (which may be imperfect but who cares) zen is a path, not a religion unto itself, what you find is the religion. And I respect any philosophy that starts out by saying "we may be wrong" and "we don't care if you agree with us or not" if you don't so be it, find out for yourself.

When I was young I got "baptised" as a baby. But when I was old enough, I realised that that was wrong, so I got rebaptiesed, the proer way, that is, by immersion, rather than sprinkling.
Excuse my ignorance, but what difference does it make? I thought it was just symbolic, as opposed to serving some physical purpose?

Drewcifer said:
And I respect any philosophy that starts out by saying "we may be wrong" and "we don't care if you agree with us or not" if you don't so be it, find out for yourself.
I respect and I am very tolerent of other religions. I dont go around crushing religions just because "I am right". I see individuals with different religious backgrounds as having their own views on whats right and whats not. I see the path to God as having unlimited paths and has no correct answer :).

Gainy bo said:
Excuse my ignorance, but what difference does it make? I thought it was just symbolic, as opposed to serving some physical purpose?
It does make a difference. Because the first one was meant to be one that saves me from my sins. I got rebaptised, because i knew that it was only a symbol of what has happened inside of me. This is really only an issue that seems to affect those Church groups that baptise by immersion.

You should expand the poll options. The last one saying, no, because you are athiest doesn't make sense. It should be no, my parents were not Christian. You also assume that because I was baptised I am now Christian.

I have been baptised, because my parents did it to me when I was a baby. I am not a Christian now. Though I disgarded my Christianity before living overseas, I've now lived in various places with 4 differerent primary religions (Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Shinto) which have made sort of a strange agnotistic, who may be closer to a deist, but certainly not any particular religion.

CivGeneral said:
I respect and I am very tolerent of other religions. I dont go around crushing religions just because "I am right". I see individuals with different religious backgrounds as having their own views on whats right and whats not. I see the path to God as having unlimited paths and has no correct answer :).

Doesn't that presuppose that there's a god to be on the path to? Despite being baptised, first communion, confirmation and 9 years of catholic schooling, the path I'm on isn't going anywhere near any god, real or imaginary. You see no definitively correct answer, but do you see any paths as definitively incorrect answers?

I've been baptised(when I were around 1 year old).

Yep, baptised as a baby. Communion and confirmation were part of primary school and I didn't know any better, I thought it was something everyone did. Now, I'm not one bit happy about the constant indoctrination I was subjected to growing up, especially in school. At least I didn't fall for it.

I think I was...

But I have a very poor memory...

So i'm not sure :crazyeye:.

That's pretty bad actually...

sanabas said:
Doesn't that presuppose that there's a god to be on the path to? Despite being baptised, first communion, confirmation and 9 years of catholic schooling, the path I'm on isn't going anywhere near any god, real or imaginary. You see no definitively correct answer, but do you see any paths as definitively incorrect answers?
Not realy, I dont see it that way.

Apparently I was, my parents were not really religious, but it was seen as a tradition.
Since I was a helpless baby, I was unable to reject the choice to have this done.
But as soon as I was able, about ten years old - I turned my back on all religious tomfoolery.

A few years ago, I found and incinerated the document that my parents got at the ceremony.

Now fully, Atheism is my choice.

Nope, never baptised, though I went to a C of E school.
Ivoted for the atheist option, even though I maintain that I'm not an atheist, as it's closest to my views.

CurtSibling said:
Because he is trying to turn it all into a religious ego-trip!

:)
There is nothing wrong with religion and beleving in God in your own way.

ohh rite forgot, baptized at 36, confirmed at well.....36.

Back In Black said:
ohh rite forgot, baptized at 36, confirmed at well.....36.
So I take it youre a recent convert?

Top Bottom