Have you been Baptised?

Baptised?

• Total voters

classical_hero

In whom I trust
This topic does seem to be at the forefront of many Christian Religious conflicts in the past. So have you been baptised

Why have i added the second optionn? I added this because it helps explain the situation I am in. When I was young I got "baptised" as a baby. But when I was old enough, I realised that that was wrong, so I got rebaptiesed, the proer way, that is, by immersion, rather than sprinkling.

yes, despite the fact I'm a rabid atheist these days I was once one of the flock of the First Baptist. I even have a certificate it says

certificate of chruch membership
this certifies
that (my name)

has publically confessed Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and has been recieved into the full membership of the First Baptist church of (my hometown) IN on this 19th day of September in the year of our Lord 1999
Rev. James Harris pastor

I know that I was baptized into the Catholic faith as an infant. I am not sure how to find out if I am validly baptized eventhough my mother has my baptisimal certificate.

classical_hero said:
I added this because it helps explain the situation I am in. When I was young I got "baptised" as a baby. But when I was old enough, I realised that that was wrong, so I got rebaptiesed, the proer way, that is, by immersion, rather than sprinkling.

I thought to be validy baptized was if the priest said the Trinity formula ("In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"). I dont even know if I was dunked in water (immersion), let alone know if Catholics practace baptism through immersion. Is there a way to know if my baptism was through immersion? since I dont remember anything from my baptism.

Why does your poll assume that all non-Christians are athiests, as there is no "other religion" answer?

Strangely enough, I have been baptised. My brother, who is 4 years younger, was not. I suppose if some of the superstitions are true, I'm in pretty good shape if I go repent my sins...;)

yes, i have.

Sims2789 said:
Why does your poll assume that all non-Christians are athiests, as there is no "other religion" answer?
Eyrei, since you are here, could you please change the last option to: No, I am not of the Christian faith.

I've been baptized and confirmed... (first communion as well)

On a side note: I'm giving a message at my nephew's baptism next weekend...kinda excited.

Yes, got catholic sacraments as a baby/primary school student. I wasn't old enough to know better at the time.

Moss said:
I've been baptized and confirmed... (first communion as well)

On a side note: I'm giving a message at my nephew's baptism next weekend...kinda excited.
I feel like that I am way behind in my faith. I never had first communion, never had confurmation, and never had a first confesson :sad:.

(FYI, I am an fallen baptized uncatechized Catholic)

CivGeneral said:
I feel like that I am way behind in my faith. I never had first communion, never had confurmation, and never had a first confesson :sad:.

(FYI, I am an fallen baptized uncatechized Catholic)
I believe that You do not need to be confirmed or confess your sins to a Priest/Pastor.Eldre, because you should be doing that to God.

classical_hero said:
I believe that You do not need to be confirmed
Well, I do feel a sense that I have missed out in the rite of passages that normal christian children normaly have. Much like how a high school drop out feels a sense of missing out on graduating and they went back and gotten a GED diploma.

or confess your sins to a Priest/Pastor.Eldre, because you should be doing that to God.
I dont know how God, as busy as he is, can hear my confessions out of billions of other confessions made by other people and fear that mines would be overlooked becuase God has heard the same story from other people.

CivGeneral said:
I dont know how God, as busy as he is, can hear my confessions out of billions of other confessions made by other people and fear that mines would be overlooked becuase God has heard the same story from other people.
Absolute Rubbish. Do not forget that he is everywhere Present and is all knowing, so he will know what you need. God is never busy. He will always make time for your prayers, no matter who you are. It is like being in a relationship and not talking to the other person. How would you feel if that happened to you? God desires contact with us, so noones prayer is unimportant to him.

Back on topic of baptism, is there a way to find out what baptism methoud is used on me, if its done by immersion or by sprinkiling? Since I hardly remember my infant baptism.

CivGeneral said:
Back on topic of baptism, is there a way to find out what methoud is used, if its done by immersion or by sprinkiling? Since I hardly remember my infant baptism.
Are you talking about the early Christians?

classical_hero said:
Are you talking about the early Christians?
Actualy, I was refering to my own baptism on finding out if its done by immersion or not. Sorry if my earlyer post was not clear :o.

I can't honestly answer the poll.

Dad is an atheist, mom is agnostic; ergo, I have never been baptised and am not a christian.

However I have come to believe in God, though not in any particular religion. I also believe in science, there are questions though that science cannot answer. What begat the big bang, how did that chain of events arise and what set it in motion? I call that unknown God, whatever it is. I don't think it is a guy with a long beard and grey hair, it is something unknowable and yet perhaps everywhere around us and within us if we have the vision to see. It is more than this or perhaps less, more likely both. I am not sure I can articulate it properly. God is a beautiful work of art, it is a puddle with cigarette buts floating in it, it is my ingrown toenail, it is the flirty girl who wants my phone number, it is also what she had for lunch, it is my gas bill, a comb, physics, a sock, a TV dinner in a convienence store in Akron, Ohio, all of it is me, all of it is you, all of it is everything, all of it is also nothing. Every fibre of existence or nonexistence is God.

Top Bottom