1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you completed any games of CIV 6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by comatosedragon, Nov 12, 2016.

?

Have you completed any games of Civ 6?

1. Yes. Just One.

18.0%
  2. Yes. Quite a few, actually.

58.8%
  3. No, but not for lack of trying; RL issues.

1.6%
  4. No, and I don't see myself finishing one anytime soon.

9.5%
  5. I'm just waiting for the patch.

5.6%
  6. A couple. Not Many.

6.5%
  1. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

Game has been available for three weeks at time of this post.
    (edit) Revival -- 7 months now has the game been available
    (2nd edit) -- I finished my first game!

I am curious how many people have finished a game. I myself, have not. According to Steam, I have close to 900 hours logged. In fact, I used my VPN to play the game early, when it was released in Australia. I have started dozens and dozens of games, but have finished none.
    (Plus, without a Hall of Fame, what's the point?)

I guess the furthest along I got was about 1800 AD with Teddy on an Emperor game, but it seems (much more so than in previous iterations) that this game is won very early, probably before turn 100. It's just tedium clicking next turn until victory .....

I guess one could up the difficulty, but that just seems to create more temporary hurdles to get over, once you get past the AI, there is no looking back.

Maybe it's just franchise fatigue - I have been playing Civilization games for two decades . . . . .

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  2. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Nope. For some reason, when I get further along in a game, typically somewhere between renaissance and atomic era, I'm just getting bored a bit or something, and I start a new one. It even happens in games where I'm actually doing a lot of fun stuff like being well on the way for a domination victory or having more than half of the world already converted to my religion with two of the three other religions having their holy city converted by me and the last having some 3 cities... I don't know. I'm just bad at finishing.

EDIT May 23rd: Thread got revived and I can now tell you guys I did finish a game! Science victory with Australia.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  3. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Prince

I've completed loads of games! Just last week I got 100% completion in Hotline Miami and did a full playthrough of the Silent Hill remastering yesterday since I got Labor Day off!

4. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

:mischief:
    Title changed.

5. bmrigs

bmrigs Chieftain

I'm over it by the Industrial Era.

comatosedragon likes this.
  6. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Prince

Uhm... yes? I mean sometimes I might call a game quits within the first 50 turns if I'm not happy with it for some reason, but once I've actually gotten invested in it then I'm definitely going to finish it

Currently I've finished 19 games I guess? Just got Spain left before I've won once with everyone, should be able to get that over with tomorrow (can probably win my current game in ~2 hours additional playtime or so)

Though yes, I will agree that generally Civ is more fun in the early game when you're still exploring the map, but I won't really feel satisfied with a game by just giving up halfway through it. Also gotta get dem steam achievements

4N4C0ND4, Bad_Viceroy and Ferocitus like this.
  7. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Prince

On a less smart-alecy note I don't own the game yet but seeing as how I tend to finish around 1/4th of my Civ5 games I imagine my experiences will be around the same. While I find the late game rather boring sometimes (my favorite era is the renaissance since that's when all the old world junk meets with the modern cutting edge tools and you get the most noticeable changes in terms of warfare, infrastructure, and trade) I typically slog it out if there's an achievement up for grabs or if want to try out some new strategy or if I'm just really into the role playing. Otherwise I typically leave games in the late medieval if it looks to be a slow renaissance or in the early industrial as I just lose interest once I get to that stage.

8. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

:eek::eek::eek:

Wow. That's almost a game a day at this rate. Glad you're having fun!

9. Mahasona

Mahasona Prince

Finished several but I see what the OP means. I run out of things to build then just do projects until something I'm aiming for comes up.

10. TurboJ

TurboJ Warlord

Finished the game three times on deity and stopped playing after that because the game offers no challenge. Hoping patches will fix this because the game itself is awesome. Civ games need to be challenging though - otherwise the long-term lure is simply not there.

Fierro and comatosedragon like this.
  11. Balkans

Balkans Warlord

I won, i don't just finish :) maybe 5-7 games - but i can't say for sure (thanks hall of fame), one deity, one immortal, rest shuffle emperor ... and had a couple 100 turns restarts, because i love to test and play my first 100 turns.

Ferocitus and comatosedragon like this.
  12. Rossticles

Rossticles Chieftain

Finished quite a few and won 6; including one on Deity.

13. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Prince

136 hours played, two games started, two games finished. First on King, easy victory, second on Deity, also easy victory. A shame how easy it is.

14. civplay

civplay Warlord

yes in fact I've finished 60% of the achievements so far. I bet you there has to be at least a few people who have already finished all of them

Though I only have 48 hours, i have 17 wins

15. mnf

mnf King

I've only completed one at the moment, but I could have won 5 or 6 more. It always goes like this:
    • I go minding my own business clearing barbarian camps and expanding.
    • A neighbor (once not even a neighbor) starts sending warriors and slingers my way or simply parks them next to my city.
    • I think, "oh, no, not again" and switch my two cities to producing Archers.
    • DoW on me, mostly a joint war, twice with someone I've not even met before.
    • I repel the first wave, send my forces out, obliterate the second wave on the way, raze the badly positioned AI cities and take the AI capital.
    • Other neighbors start denouncing me (note this is mostly in the Ancient and Classical eras), often they also start sending troops my way.
    • I think, "oh, what the hell, I've got the troops anyway" and eliminate all the AI civs on my continent.
    • After the war ends, I stop and think, "I'm gonna win this game anyway" and start a new game.
    The forced early wars is something I definitely don't like about Civ VI. I can move up to a higher difficulty, but then I will have to start the wars if not getting tied down in endless wars with AI's bonuses. I wish there was a switch for peaceful play where AIs are also averse to war.

damunzy likes this.
  16. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

Is it just me or does the game also take longer to play? My first game took 20 hours 8-O

racha likes this.
  17. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I voted 'just one' because 'more than one and fewer than many' isn't an option. I've only won one game; my first full playthrough I came closer than I should have on Emperor given a novel system but was beaten by a science victory I hadn't been aware was imminent. I have 54 hours logged.

Going for a science victory in this session was a mistake - even by pre-BNW Civ standards Civ VI's late game is empty. Science and civics come to an end too soon relative to late-game production, there's nothing left to spend resources on especially once priority GPs are used up (there's no point taking the remaining culture GPs unless you're aiming for that victory, since culture/tourism generation isn't linked to any other game systems. While ideology in BNW wasn't well-implemented, it at least made the system relevant to practical gameplay in the late game). The static city state envoy system prevents battles over those, and all spies are much use for is sabotaging spaceports - which the AI never repairs, so you only occasionally need to shut down new ones as they appear.

Of course there's domination, but I suspect if warfare is your intended victory condition the game will be over long before the late game tedium sets in - while the changes to city combat make it less of a tedious grind to take them than in Civ V, it also drastically reduces the AI's effectiveness. The AI also appears unable to build aircraft and even into the late game only a couple of civs are predisposed to make ranged units in any quantity.

18. civplay

civplay Warlord

turn on auto-end turn when not in big wars makes the game much faster. also play on smaller maps to avoid lag. I played on huge once to get the achievement, though ill probably have to play two more on huge for the russian and indian achievements. Not to mention you can start in another era. which are also achievements. Like tonight I'm probably play information start, as japan, and build 7 adjacent districts, and finish off those achievements.

But in general mess around with the starting eras. its boring to start from ancient era all the time plus you can win more games and bang out those achievements. (each starting era is a different achievement)

Edit: don't do that. Antiquity sites are everywhere and prevent you from placing down a district

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  19. Kougar7

Kougar7 Warlord

I've seen the AI using aircraft, it's just very uncommon as they prefer to goldbuy >6 AT units and I dunno what else first. But yes, the AI has no concept of defense. It parks a unit in the city, never attacks with it or moves it even when the city is one turn from falling. Doesn't man its own encampments, and will buy settlers + workers in a city that is under siege. On Deity it bought one sub in the capital and two subs from the nearby city, and that was the most it did for reinforcements! It had a gazillion AT crews elsewhere on the landmass that it never moved back to defend with. Currently domination victory is the easiest option in the game.

I had a few really close/tough games. My first attempt on Emperor China spawned on the island next door. Starting aiming for religion but found my three cities religiously converted before 150 turns, so I tried science. Except China was so far ahead I could barely defend my cities. So then I switched to culture, and it came down 50/50 odds between Japan and myself winning via culture within the final turns. Japan barely pulled it out when I was ~20 tourists away, I just didn't have enough cities. After that games started becoming very one-sided. Completed ~55% of the achievements without any of the exploits or savefile downloads.

Literally not one of my multiplayer games with friends have ever been finished and most are already done with playing VI.... so if we're talking multiplayer then 0 games were ever completed. :rolleyes:

20. bladex

bladex Emperor

i mainly just finish science or dom vics the other are just too boring.