1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you completed any games of CIV 6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by comatosedragon, Nov 12, 2016.

?

Have you completed any games of Civ 6?

1. Yes. Just One.

18.0%
  2. Yes. Quite a few, actually.

58.8%
  3. No, but not for lack of trying; RL issues.

1.6%
  4. No, and I don't see myself finishing one anytime soon.

9.5%
  5. I'm just waiting for the patch.

5.6%
  6. A couple. Not Many.

6.5%
  1. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

That definitely seems an issue with this iteration. Civ V suffered from domination being the tedious victory condition, with excessive unit traffic jams and endless grinds to take cities. It was generally fun to play for other VCs.

That's something of the reverse of most Civ titles and Civ VI seems to have gone back to the older model. But science victory - my favourite in most iterations - is tediously slow, culture is likewise just a case of ramping up a certain resource until you somewhat arbitrarily win the game through obscure mechanisms, and diplomatic victory is gone altogether. I haven't had any interest in trying for religious victory, but the apostle interface is terrible and I can't really stomach having to navigate through that for numerous religious units while aiming to spam religion.

That leaves treating Civ VI as a wargame, which would be more fulfilling if it wasn't quite so easy. As with Civ V the AI presents a better challenge for peaceful victories than it did in Civ IV or most earlier iterations, but it's the worst yet at either taking or protecting cities. AI wars are endless but almost never seem to result in cities changing hands - there's a definite AI issue there that Civ V largely solved (if only by making more use of ranged units).

2. dwarfling

dwarfling Chieftain

Took me several tries to be "confortable" finishing games, but now that I learned how to rush SV I just go for it after the "grab all the land" phase and be done with it.

3. TomeTraveler

TomeTraveler Chieftain

I've finished only one so far, a science victory with Gilgamesh on King. I've had several other games on the same level (and also Prince) that I quit because it got boring, but I've not gotten used to Emperor yet and have quit several of those games out of dissatisfaction. I'm especially annoyed at the way the AI starts with two settlers on Emperor and above now. It was annoying enough in Civ V on Deity, but seems a bit overkill for Emperor.

I'll just have to keep working at it until it becomes easy.

4. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

My advice is to not give up, the AI will always be ahead of you at the start of the game, but if you can survive the start of the game, you can often come out ahead by the end. Time is your ally here, good planning and combat management can help you catch up over the course of the game.

5. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

I mainly win through Tourism. It's the easiest and the fastest on King.

6. johnny_rudeboy

johnny_rudeboy Warlord

Played a lot of games so far, only finished 2. Both science victories on Emperor with China and Germany.
    But I have loads of games where I am winning but I just dont find it in me to finish the game. Rather start a new game and see if I cant get even better adjacency bonuses on my districts or if I can plan ahead to get another wonder with weird but fun building requirements.

It is that part that is the most fun, to be able to get the good city locations to maximize production, faith, science etc. Once that is done it gets a little boring actually.

7. Fredric Drum

Fredric Drum Civilizator

Started 1, finished 1 - domination win on Huge Marathon map on prince. It was really far too easy on Prince, but with a huge map I had to travel around a lot to catch all the capitals. But the thing that gets really tedius is all the denouncing and begging for peace or offering terrible (for me) trade deals ... click Refuse, fade to a different screen with the same leader portrait (why??)... wait ... Goodbye button fades in. Finally able to dismiss. Repeat several times every turn. Really terrible design.

Trade seems to be broken, it wasn't possible to get a deal that benefits both parties, only deals that heavily favor the AI, so I don't trade at all with anyone. 1 war declaration and I'm seen as the horriblest man on the planet for milennia. If that's why I couldn't get a decent trade deal, then it's really broken. Even when I had a best friend for a long while, he refused to do any fair trades. And they often pop up with something that looks like demands, but it doesn't say it's a demand. Or are they asking for a gift? Same thing, really. Thing is that they have absolutely nothing to back it up with. If you make a demand, you better have some realistic consequences if I don't pay up.

Other than that, for the AI ... it does so many stupid things it's unreal. Settle a city on my continent where I have a large army standing by ... then wardec me. What did they think would happen?? Then later in the game settle another city on my continent and with great fanfare declare a reconquest war to take back the first city, then send 1 archer at me, and not even to that city ..... Or when I bombard their unit and it just stays where it is, not even trying to run, I guess it's trying to heal up, but it just lets me bombard it again and again until it's dead. Do they even have anyone working on AI or did they just copy the AI from Civ 1?

8. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

I just can't. Not only do I prefer the early game, but on my laptop, turn times get ri-donk-ulous by even the middle ages. When I get into modern...forget it. I can click "next turn" and come back the next morning.

9. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

Hojo, Science Victory
    Monty, Science Victory
    Cleo, Religious Victory
    I am now thinking of winning Culture victory with Trajan.

10. Alaric410

Alaric410 Chieftain

I have 142 hours up and have only completed one game, which was the second one I started. My first game saw me over-run quickly, so I played another with the same settings (King difficulty, as Qin Shi Huang, large map, Continents, Epic pace) and ground out a science victory that took a lot longer than it should have because I didn't realize the 6-tile radius thing on factories, or the need to bee-line Rocketry to start the first of four sequential projects. I've since gone reasonably deep into several games at Emperor level but quit once it was clear that I was going to shoot past the AIs in science despite aiming for other victory types. I've now started a huge number of games at Immortal, but am struggling to do more than survive (and sometimes not even that).

11. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Prince

Yeah, I completed 5 games I think. At this point I've done all victory types, and now I'm starting to work on the civs I haven't played yet.
    I had to quit a few games because things just weren't going very well. Playing as the Aztecs without any enemy civs nearby to war with, running behind as Scythia because I invested a lot in an encampment & stables (which I don't even really know what they do at this point), stuck in a huge jungle as Sumeria, stuff like that. I try to finish all my games unless I find myself too hampered by bad decisions or idiotic starting locations.

12. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

Something similar happens to me. The last time it was the missionary spam - I ended up declaring war on 2 AIs (Russia and Japan) that kept spamming my cities with their religions. After I killed Russia I headed east towards Japan and I think it was Poland's (a woman in armor) capital that was just sitting in my way. Heck, I have this army here I might as well use it! There just isn't a challenge when it comes to war and the AI. So I try to avoid it.

But to answer OP, I haven't finished one yet because it always comes down to war and it just takes so long to slog through with all the units and virtually no chance to lose. :(

13. JtW

JtW Prince

The only game I've finished was an accidental religious victory.

14. RNorth2

RNorth2 Chieftain

I've had this issue since Civ IV. The game's almost always decided by the 1800-1900s and I don't really feel the need to 'seal the deal' when there is absolutely no way that I can lose at that point. I'd rather start up a new game.

15. Shorlin

Shorlin Warlord

I have a bit of ocd when it comes to Civ, I always finish games unless I have obviously lost.
    I've won every game of civ6 so far.
    With not automation options and a big empire, civ6 endgame is excruciating.

16. Pico 22

Pico 22 Chieftain

I checked "one" although I finished two. Big difference.

My real problem has been the same since Civ 2. I hate it when my quaint medieval towns (German, Japanese ... whatever) turn into modern monstrosities and when I lose my knights in shining armor or my brave samurai, etc. I simply lose interest and anyway, at that point it's pretty clear whether I will win the game or not. So, as a rule, I quit and start a new game with a new civilization. By now, I tried all of them on different settings and there are new games out there (and I have a horrible backlog as well) so I will certainly come back for a few turns every now and then but mainly, I'll be waiting for patches and DLCs.

17. Francis Xavier

Francis Xavier Chieftain

Have finished about 3 immortal games and 3 deity games with a 4th in the bag. There's a point that you get where you know you're going to win and it's just a matter of time/conquest/turns.

18. Francis Xavier

Francis Xavier Chieftain

When conquering, one thing I've noticed, is that the AI just isn't good at building empire infrastructure / districts yet.

19. bladex

bladex Emperor

limit the amount of civs to 6 (including you)

20. TomeTraveler

TomeTraveler Chieftain

Thanks, indeed, my last tries on Emperor have turned out much better--currently around turn 125 in a game with Gorgo that looks good for (I hope) a peaceful CV, though Pedro may prove to be a bit of a fly in the ointment.