1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you completed any games of CIV 6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by comatosedragon, Nov 12, 2016.

?

Have you completed any games of Civ 6?

1. Yes. Just One.

18.0%
  2. Yes. Quite a few, actually.

58.8%
  3. No, but not for lack of trying; RL issues.

1.6%
  4. No, and I don't see myself finishing one anytime soon.

9.5%
  5. I'm just waiting for the patch.

5.6%
  6. A couple. Not Many.

6.5%
  1. blasto

blasto Prince

My first game I apparently killed myself.. which made me note how crappy the end screen is.. it had NOTHING that told me what happened. I think I killed the last AI that didn't have the major religion so I basically gave away a religious victory to someone

2. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

I only play Prince, but have completed 2 games already. I play on Huge maps, at Epic speed.

I've done Domination as Gorgo and Culture as Catherine.

I'm now working on Science as Cleopatra.

3. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Oh, I can't do that either. I'm ridiculously particular. I've got to play a wide field or I don't want to play at all.

4. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

Hey everybody, this poll is open again, I am just wondering if anybody has changed. I still have yet to finish a game. I am very curious as to see how people vote going forward, but I can only assume that now I will be very much in the minority. 900+ hours!

5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It's a strange poll on a fanatics page so quite telling when even a small % say no.
    Definitely gonna finish current game as have 6 cities at turn 50 and my first campus just about finished.

comatosedragon likes this.
  6. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

Have finished every one I've started. One each patch.

7. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

I finish most of my games, the one I don't are usually because some real life stuff pops up and I have to walk away for a while, I tend to find it hard to settle back into a game that is full-swing after a decent hiatus. Other than those I enjoy running my games out.

CPWimmer likes this.
  8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Even when I'm playing a lot (no matter which version of Civ) I probably only finish around a quarter of the games. I'm always thinking of something I want to try different "the next time." And I don't have big marathon sessions, so I'll also want to start a new one when I fire the game back up.

9. Kougar7

Kougar7 Warlord

Started two games in the last four months, haven't finished either one. Got tired of the basic AI, unresolved bugs, and complete lack of the ability to finish multiplayer games.

10. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

... so why do multiplayer games fail?
    A runaway and everyone gives up?
    People disconnect?

11. Kougar7

Kougar7 Warlord

Friends just get tired of it immediately. They've lost interest by mid-game and so games never get resumed. Public multiplayer is usually due to unknown disconnects, or someone throws it by trading away everything before leaving. I remember one game where a player said he had to leave but before he did he gave the AI most of his cities and stuff. There is zero accountability in Civ multiplayer in V, VI, or BE which is an issue given the lengths of time even short games require.

12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I've never understood the attraction of Multiplayer Civ. There are plenty of games better suited for it IMO. Of course plenty of people do like it, so have at it.

13. Kougar7

Kougar7 Warlord

Maybe because the AI in VI is pointless to play against? The AI in V was predictable, but it was still fun to play against. The AI in VI is just a broken record of meaningless message spam based off banal utterly pointless inherited preferences, and the spam slows the game down considerably. I can give a deity level AI that has tech superiority multiple advantages and even 50 turns after war declaration, but it only takes a couple battleships and two land units to win. Yet that same AI would go to war with me multiple times in the same game.

In VI AI amass armies it doesn't understand how to use, and don't even use in the first place. That deity AI had land units in every city and naval units elsewhere, but never moved ANY of them back to defend itself.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  14. cll3

cll3 Chieftain

quite a few.
    my first game I completed 4 or 5 times I don't remember. For the achievements IIRC.

some games I've obviously won already I'll test the AI in various ways for vulnerabilities, sometimes to exploit one aspect to maximize. (ie try to hit 60k gold per turn: got to 53k gpt last time before I couldn't handle another 5 minute turn timer, try to get one city to 200 population like that guy did in release week on reddit, except now without IZ stacking etc, try to get one city to 2000 production, I once tried to hit 10k end game score but that was too boring around the 7k mark, things of that nature) I'll finish those kinds of games usually because mars habitation is just sitting there at 1 turn remaining.

15. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I abandon over half the games I start within the first 30 turns or so if the start seems uninteresting or unsuited to whatever goals I might have for the game (often a steam achievement or three). But if I make it past fifty turns, there's a high chance I'll finish. I've completed probably a dozen games or so.

16. VainApocalypse

VainApocalypse Warlord

I've been into the franchise since 2004, and I've completed more singleplayer games in VI than for any other iteration (about seven).

Compare this to Civ IV that I played for six years but probably only finished 2 or 3 games in.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Victoria and comatosedragon like this.
  17. isau

isau Deity

I've never made it past the Atomic era. Its hard to explain why. The game just loses steam for me sometime around that point. I don't think I've ever built an Aerodome or an air unit.

I like this game a lot, but there's something about it that makes the eras not feel as immersive as past games. I don't really "feel" like I'm in the ancient era versus later eras like I used to with Civ 4 and (kind of) Civ 5.

One thing about this game versus Civ 4 in particular is other civs dont really threaten me enough to make the competition aspect very compelling.

18. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I've still completed many games of Civ 6.

I find (as others mentioned) the Conquest and Science victories seem the most "complete", whereas the Culture victory seems sort of hollow. Occasionally I will win a Culture victory while aiming for a Science victory. Religious victory is quite fun, but in more recent games (since January), I have typically been setting the Religious victory winning condition to off. I don't recall ever winning a game by score / time's up.

19. Yzman

Yzman Deity

I complete 90% of games I play. Only reason I ever don't is if I am going for an achievement and realized I can't get it.

20. historix69

historix69 Emperor

So far I only brought one game to a finish with 50+ cities but I finished it with Dominance, Culture, Science and Religion ... tried out all VCs from a save game. Other games I abandoned around turn 100-200 when I felt I could do better in early game ...