1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you completed any games of CIV 6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by comatosedragon, Nov 12, 2016.

?

Have you completed any games of Civ 6?

1. Yes. Just One.

18.0%
  2. Yes. Quite a few, actually.

58.8%
  3. No, but not for lack of trying; RL issues.

1.6%
  4. No, and I don't see myself finishing one anytime soon.

9.5%
  5. I'm just waiting for the patch.

5.6%
  6. A couple. Not Many.

6.5%
  1. Rosty K

Rosty K King

I've only abandoned one, and it was when I didn't get to it for 2 weeks or so, so I just started a new one then.

comatosedragon likes this.
  2. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

I've completed plenty of games, but it does seem to require far more time and clicks than CiV!

3. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

I changed my vote; I've finished about a half a dozen games now.

4. historix69

historix69 Emperor

Micromanaging Tech Research, Civic Research and Synchronizing Policy Cards and Production often causes me to reload some turns to correct mistakes, when I was carried away by simply playing the game ...

5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It's an interesting area to ponder over.

I will get to around T100 which is the framework and has huge variation in play
    You then fill the framework out with your aim or in the case of Dom you sort of work in waves

At that stage you can see the end ... or there is an issue

Why bother with another 50 turns when it's won and it's not like it records your successes.

If there is a problem do you bother trying to fix it? Spies again or invading the other side of the world or their science is just too high?

I'm not sure there is one cause

6. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

As of right now (26th may 2017) -- 17.2% of the people who have taken this poll say they have not finished a game. Like @Victoria said, that's pretty telling in a place called "civFanatics". Anyway, I'm not looking for answers or to stir things up (plenty of other threads for that); I just enjoy metrics.

7. Magil

Magil Monarch

I'm a bit of a completionist, so I do complete most games that I'm playing "for fun" as it were. At the same time I leave a lot of games unfinished, but those games are mostly for testing mods or game features. Rarely do I abandon a game I started with the intention of playing "for fun", unless it's due to a new patch, new game that distracts me for a while, or other reason (mod update, etc.).

8. Canadian Bluebeer

Canadian Bluebeer Prince

I even have a full game recorded on twitch. (a silly one to be sure, but still)
    125/1500 for the dom win. (part of another thread)

9. SirWill90

SirWill90 Warlord

I really enjoy the early game most of all: the excitement of trying to grab the prime spots before the AI, the ensuing quick wars if I don't.

If I get to Bronze Working and there is no viable iron source, and I'm not Rome, well that's the end of that game. Until my last game when I consciously decided for the first time not to start a religion, I would also quit if I failed to do so. Also if I have been away from a game for more than a day or two, I just prefer a fresh start. That makes for a lot of abandoned games.

I have two completed games in about 450 hours' play. The first was a science victory with Pericles on Prince. The second was a defeat with Victoria on King.

Incidentally, I was a bit mystified when the defeat video played, and a bit disappointed at the actual content of the video when the Defeat screen popped up. It looks like an asteroid has crashed into a downtown block and Godzilla is about to emerge from the smoking crater. The disappointment was because he didn't.

10. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

On average since February, I'm finishing one single-player game a week, and one multiplayer game every two weeks. The shortest completed single-player game was a win in 85 turns, whereas the longest was a game I won three times at 326, 405 and 500 turns (with three different victory conditions).

I have abandoned a couple of exploratory games at around 50 turns with new civs while checking out an unfamiliar mechanic.

11. lordhaw

lordhaw Chieftain

I just finished one actually with Germany on Prince won a Science Victory at turn 497. With the current version of Civ 6, in combination with some mods, this turned into the best game yet...on par quality wise and addictiveness with games from earlier Civ's too. My previous game was a bust though. Messed up royally and France was kicking my butt at mid-game so quit that one. I usually try to finish a game even if it's a bad one. It can be fun to try and salvage a disaster but will drop a game if it's just not worth continuing.

12. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

I have finished quite a few games at each level above king, and I'd like to say that I finish most games that I start... but that would be a lie. It was the case in CIv5, but not in CIv6. There are really only two reasons for this:

1.) No hall of fame - It may seem silly, but I doubt that I'm the only one who liked to glance over a list of my accomplished games and looked at it as almost a badge of honor. For each game since civ3, I've also kept a spreadsheet that had each victory and the settings for it, actually a double-list, one in chronological order and the other in alphabetical order for easy access. I keep a spreadsheet for Civ6 as well, but it just isn't the same without that HoF.

2.) Snowballing - This has always existed to some magnitude in all games in the series because they've all been games of exponential growth, but the effect seems much greater than it ever has before. There are several factors that contribute to this, but it seems the most impactful is how many cities you can get out and how quickly. I've been in all three positions of power in various games that I've played:
    -so far ahead, and so early, that there's absolutely no way for me to lose; so much of an advantageous position that it could actually prove to be difficult if I tried to lose, and there are still hours and hours of gameplay left before I qualify for a victory condition.

-games where I'm right in the mix. Maybe I'm the leader (in terms of tech/civics/military power/cities/etc.) with a number of other civs right there with me, maybe there's a few that have a bit of an edge on me, maybe there's one runaway but he/she can still be brought down. The point is its still anybody's game.

-games where there's no hope. Defeat is inevitable. Usually has to do with being cornered and not being able to expand enough, it leads to the other civs, with their level bonuses, getting far ahead in tech, productivity and power, and they're just waiting for some reason, probably pity.

Of these three situations, the only one that's fun to play out is the middle one. And since it involves hours and hours of followup, which for me and my schedule means at least a week, often a couple of weeks in real time, I just won't commit to the other two.

13. empresskiova

empresskiova Warlord

I think I've finished 5 games?

1 Domination, 1 Science, 1 Religion, and 2 Culture.

14. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

The infinite looping sounds from catapults, bombards, generals etc is forcing me to play without sound and after awhile it gets boring and Ill just restart so I can have sound again... Have only finished two games I think.

15. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

Save and reload - you don't have to shut the whole game down and never go back to it to stop that bug.
    Also, in general, wait until the unit has completed moving before going on to the next one. I have found it's when the unit that is moving looses focus before it is done, that it never receives the correct command to stop making noise.

Victoria likes this.
  16. gibby290

gibby290 Chieftain

With no Hall of Fame, my desire to play is far less than previous games in the franchise...no feel of permanency that I enjoyed in the past.

17. Balkans

Balkans Warlord

Absence of HoF is kinda lame, but what kills me in the end, that the rankings don't work. After a long immersive game, where you fought hard to create the greatest civilization the world has ever seen, you would want to get a cookie.
    It's not like my life depends on it, but it would be cool to see nice score and Augustus Caesar ranking for my deity 1830 space victory, instead of some horrible next to last ranking. I just can't believe studio this big can't fix a couple of formulas and make this work. It's laughable, and the joke is on us.

18. Ozisl

Ozisl Warlord

I tend to enjoy playing Marathon games (using mods), and not always to win, sometimes to just build a good civ. Don't really care about losing, just finding new ways to play.

legalizefreedom likes this.
  19. Dimplz

Dimplz Chieftain

No. The game starts to drag somewhere in the middle and I lose interest.

20. Captain Pugwash

Captain Pugwash Warlord

It varies. I have completed some games and abandoned others when there was little left to accomplish. I don't really like ANY of the victory conditions so I make up my own objectives. At the moment I just play to survive for 500 turns. For me it's all about the playing not "winning". It is more difficult in the later stages of the game to find something interesting to do. But I love the jet fighter animation and so it's worth it to play into the late era just to build airports :lol: