1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you completed any games of CIV 6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by comatosedragon, Nov 12, 2016.

?

Have you completed any games of Civ 6?

1. Yes. Just One.

18.0%
  2. Yes. Quite a few, actually.

58.8%
  3. No, but not for lack of trying; RL issues.

1.6%
  4. No, and I don't see myself finishing one anytime soon.

9.5%
  5. I'm just waiting for the patch.

5.6%
  6. A couple. Not Many.

6.5%
  1. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Absence of HoF + Long turn times (granted, better than Civ V prior to its second expansion) + game drag in late game (a problem endemic to all Civ games, even to a lesser extent, in Civ IV) = No, I don't finish many games. I also resent how finishing a game early doesn't give you a scoring bonus for end-game scoring, so I always get Ethelred the Unready or similarly dreary leader quotes when I *do* finish (I don't enjoy settling dozens of cities just to increase my score).

2. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

Hey! I'm the author of this thread, and in case anyone cares, I finished my first game last night! China, continents, standard, emperor, Science victory, turn 310.
    Now I'm going to try again, for a lower turn score. Damn, I still wish there was a HOF though.

Locke_Daemonfire and WillowBrook like this.
  3. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

Was looking for a thread like this one. I've tried about 10 games so far to get familiar with Civ VI (started in Civ III, went back to Civ II a bit, then moved to the rest of them).

Thing is, at least on Emperor, if you play the first 150 turns optimally, I don't think there's a way for you to actually lose, unless you suddenly pull a 180 and do every single thing wrong. And that ain't possible, realistically. Which is the reason why I usually start over after T220 or so, if I see that the only thing I have to do is basically click "next turn". I finished one game on turn 330, Science victory with Japan. With more optimization, I am sure this can fall down to T250 or so. I am gonna try more stuff now, and maybe go up to Immortal before finally settling for Deity, like I did in Civ V.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Completed a few....

Main problem here is the lag towards the end-game. It can take 15 seconds or more per turn and I had to turn off "auto-end turn" because I kept making moves in between turn and that messes things up. I also get really sick of the game animating city state and other civ's moves. I don't really care!

Also overseas invasions suck. Maybe I should stop playing continents.

5. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Well, it is really better IMO to treat Civ as an activity rather than a game, because that seems to be how it is designed. The thing that really holds Civ VI back from feeling truly competitive is one of the things many feel is one Civ's iconic features: the victory conditions.

6. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

You mean Civ VI lacks in victory conditions? Well, I don't mind all that much about that, as my favorite 3 ones are in there: Science, Domination, Culture, in that order.

7. Locke_Daemonfire

Locke_Daemonfire Chieftain

I recommend quick movement for this reason.

8. Photi

Photi Governor

if by "optimal" is meant doing the fewest things needed to win in the shortest possible time, then if you haven't won by T220 you are not playing optimally. I say that as one who only has a few wins before T220.

9. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

Yeah that's what I mean by the term "optimal playing". I obviously cannot do a sub-220 victory right now, as I am not familiar with the mechanics like I was with V's. I know this is off-topic, but can you PM me any links to YouTube videos where someone has achieved an early victory (let's say sub-240 to be cool) on Deity, with the latest patch or at least the one before it?

10. Photi

Photi Governor

@JamesCivFan

here's a good thread for quick culture games: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/gorgo-culture-rush-questions.614577/

pay particular attention to @Victoria 's posts. i thought it was in there that they spoke of another civfantic who writes about very quick culture victories, though his or her strategy becomes less and less effective above king level.

in the game of the month subforums, 6OTM 18 after actions thread has @whacker describing his science victories that often come in the T150s. that game is currently open and so if you plan on playing it, you shouldn't look in the after actions until you have completed the game. He has also written quite a bit in several of the beta guantlets in the Hall of Fame subforum, in particular Beta gauntlet ii he posts quite a bit, iirc. i believe he has also written a guide or something like that, but it is in German so if you happen to understand German..

my own personal quickest victory was a 100% peaceful T183 culture victory (King level; i was using the strat i mentioned above for quick culture victories, Victoria probably remembers the thread where that other civfanatic details that) you can find some description of it the the 6OTM 16, that game is now closed for submissions, so here is the link: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/6otm-16-after-action-report.616344/#post-14773229

the link is for the after actions, in the "opening actions" for the same game there are additional details.

11. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

Thanks for the links, bro. I am not ready to play Deity yet, let alone GoTMs, but I'll give them a thorough look!

12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Yeah @walkerjks did a lot of test runs however as @Photi says look in GOTM for @whacker in particular always gets sub 200 victories... its all about efficiency and violence... GOTM18 post discussion has some really good tips from him , its more a question of how you want to play

Photi likes this.
  13. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

I completed all my games so far, but I've played only quite few - I haven't played a game as every leader yet so I'm going for the achievements for winning as leader XXX. In fact I didn't finish one game, as England, because the game started crashing at one point during the enemy turn and no matter what I did during my turn before the crash, it always happened. I had this problem already before this (as another leader) and it helped to lead a much older safe (like 10 turns) and try to do more things differently. But I was a little bit bored with the England game already (it was certain I would win and I just had to find a way how to win and do it), so I gave up. Thankfully I already had the harder specific achievement (have a city on every continent).

14. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

58 hours, 3 science and 1 culture win on Prince though with a bunch of scrapped ones due to messups or boredom. I guess I don't move fast enough. Was trying to go for a domination win in the latest one and had subdued my continent, and that took a while. Hojo demanded I pay him 25 GPT just to cede cities with no extra demands even though he has done nothing but get slaughtered down to 3 cities so natually I just had to beat him down to 1 city (Good thing I didn't wipe him and Gandhi out otherwise would have lost to a religious victory) Invading the other side turned out to be even worse. And this was just small map but there's already so many cities to deal with! Had to deal with 20+ cities' worth of prompts, and even more prompts from traders refreshing roads (Arguably the worst thing to carry from Civ 5!) even if I were to beeline their capitals and burn everything in between; I probably would have to at least break through several more cities to get to them.

And it seemed to take forever to invade too. Missile cruisers didn't seem to do a good job lowering defenses; even with 5-6 firing and rotating them out for fresh ones (actually I should have used the fleet feature), and then ramming destroyers into them. Makes me shudder about fitting things inland since the navy won't help there. So I thought it'd be faster to launch a spaceship which was true after grabbing some great people to boost the production. Pedro somehow stole Carl Sagan when I wasn't watching, but whatever.

Also captured cities spawning rebels? Fine. Captured cities spawning rebels that are more advanced than anything they had previously just and are actually tougher than the actual resistance because I am ahead in tech; that's just stupid.

In any case, the game is more fun in the early stages, but that's not really unique to the series. I often end up starting new games because since victory depends on early game management much more, might as well practice that more often as opposed to skills I won't need if I actually play well.

Also funny enough, they kept making demands even though they had so little power and it was only city defenses that keep them alive. Montezuma succeeded once because I misclicked accept by accident. Good tactic.

Oh they really need to add stats like who built what wonders and best cities and stuff. The graphs are incredibly underwhelming.

But there was 1 thing good, and it does feel good to just completely ignore diplomacy. It helped that the game contained pretty much every personality I despise (well, except Gandhi, but that's what you get for Joint Warring me for no reason). Tomyris tends to be either BFF or worst enemy ever; in this case the later because of missionary spam. All they needed to do was throw Trajan or Gorgo in, though ironically it would be one of the few times we would get along.

Spoiler you mad bro :

Of these I actually hate Pedro the most, but he doesn't even seem that upset that I ruined his cultural victory.

Incidentally, while the AI freaks out over having troops near their borders it seems that warships are perfectly fine. Unless of course, you have some infantry in a boat.

Spoiler :

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  15. gilesjp

gilesjp Chieftain

Just started playing Civ VI in April my roomate in college played Civ I so I had a little exposure to the series and knew it was a good series. It had been many years since I played a PC game. I can't believe how far they have come. I finished maybe 16 games winning a dozen or so using Arabia, England, Japan, Germany, and Australia. I lost with Poland more than once. Won on every victory condition which was my goal. Beat the Inland sea, continents, fractal and Earth maps. Can't seem to beat Island Plates ever. Play mostly large or huge size because I like to have lots of Civs to trade with, but Earth makes you play standard size only. Most wins were on Prince with two wins on Emperor. I haven't played in a month, waiting for the DLC with some new scenarios that everyone talks about. I really liked Vikings and Outback Tycoon scenario. Probably abandoned 30 games or so in the process of learning how to play.

16. Sukayo

Sukayo Chieftain

i finished also a lot of games. Sometimes i finish early, often to try another way to get somewhere i never was before. Play it extra long and huge or larger, so it takes also longer to finish.

17. stinkubus

stinkubus Emperor

If you're a dom player and find you start getting bored try small maps. The game will be over much quicker. I've only needed tanks once.

18. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Same here. I either get swamped and killed very early, or I become the global superpower by turn 200 and the game is over. I know nothing will happen for the rest of the game unless I decide to take a risk that has no payoff.

Forget finishing a game, I haven't even reached turn 300 (at normal speed) in 8 or 9 months.

comatosedragon and JamesCivFan like this.
  19. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I don't think I've finished a game since early III.

I usually don't intend to finish, but in the rare occasion I'm enticed to win, its tough to keep playing once the game is in the bag.

I've currently got a one city deity dom game going (not razing capitals obviously), and only two caps to go with 300 turns left... but its hard to muster the energy for repetitive sieges that have a predictable outcome.

I very much enjoy no vc/ no turn limit games though.

comatosedragon likes this.
  20. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Prince

I cant work up any enthusiasm for continuing my save game. When I realised that my musketmen were going straight to modern infantry it just seemed kind of stupid. And that messy screen with stuff all over the place. And the brown map. Its just depressing! Sort it out Firaxis!