1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you even been to court?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Highgeneral, Jun 24, 2004.

?

Have you ever been to court?

1. yes

37.9%
  2. no

62.1%
  1. Highgeneral

Highgeneral Gone forever!

Well i know people how have been sued or got in troble with the cops etc. So i was wondering if any of you people have even been to court.I have never been but i do know people who have.

2. FearlessLeader2

FearlessLeader2 Fundamentalist Loon

Yes, I was summoned for jury duty, and declared ineligible due to conflict of interest. 4 years of freedom!!

3. Iggy

Iggy Deity

Are you a shareholder in a private prison company? That would be an interesting conflict of interest for the authorities to consider.

4. col

col Old Fart Retired Moderator

Been in the jury. :)
    Been in the dock. :(

5. FearlessLeader2

FearlessLeader2 Fundamentalist Loon

No, it was a jury to decide the amount of award in a wrongful injury lawsuit. I had been injured at work, so the defense didn't want my sympathy driving up the award.

6. Abulafia

Abulafia Warlord

Been called for jury duty twice to take my place in the panel of fifteen. Was only used once though.

7. Evertonian

Evertonian Bluenose

Only for the jury. The case was sooo clear cut not guilty I wondered how it had ever come to trial.

2 teenage boys were accused of assaulting a police man. The evidence boiled down to the policeman's word against everybody else who had seen the incident including all the other prosecution witnesses (and it happened at a busy station so there were lots of other witnesses). What really struck me though was that the 2 defendants were both black, and I bet if they had been white the charges wouldn't have been pressed in the same way.

The case was so weak I even began to wonder if they weren't notorious troublemakers who they were trying to pin something on Al-Capone style, but then it came out that they were both hard-working well-behaved college students who'd never been in any trouble before.

Really reduced my respect for the police (which was already pretty low. And then right at the end it emerged that the policeman had been off sick for months after this so-called incident! Giving him quite an incentive to talk up its seriousness of course.

It took us about 60 seconds to decide on the not guilty verdict.

8. carlosMM

carlosMM Deity

only as a witness. a guy had stared so hard at my GFs leg (short summer dress ;)) that he ran into a parked car when driving backwards out of a driveway. He drove off and ended up being fined about US$ 14,000 and 1 year confiscation of drivers license.
    Plus, a false account given under oath sank his testimony under oath in ANOTHER case of similar circumstances, winning him a 1 year prison sentence on 3 year parole.

:D gotcha!

best of all: the damage he did - and ran away from paying - was around $300!

9. WS78

WS78 Chill moan!

Never been to either Wimbledon's centrecourt or criminal justice court.

10. joycem10

joycem10 Deity

im an attorney so... ill be in court in about 2 hours.

11. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

1. Yes, got into trouble with the law once.

2. Had to go and ask the judge to drop a restraining order. (An automatic court-ordered one that was placed on the other person to stay away from me).

Close, but doesn't count:

Been a victim, but didn't need to testify.

Was a potential witness in a murder trial.

Was a potential juror in a rape trial, but wasn't selected because I worked with the son of one of the main witnesses.

12. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

No, the Bush administration said I was an enemy combatant. :(

13. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Nope.

A friend ended up in court for computer crimes, tho. He'd DL'd software that could potentially circumvent our school's e-nanny, and saved it on his pupil's account. He never actually used the stuff.

Pretty stupid of him, if you ask me, but dragging him off to court was rather OT if you ask me. Well, the school's netadmin is generally acknowledged to be a power-crazed bastard ...

Ended with a settlement; he didn't have to pay any fines, but couldn't use the school's computer's for the the rest of his stay there.

14. BassDude726

BassDude726 It's Just a Phase

Between jury duty and working for 6 lawyers, I'd better hope I've been to court.

15. FredLC

FredLC A Lawyer as You Can See! Retired Moderator

Only as counseler, so I voted no.

Regards :).

16. CenturionV

CenturionV Warrior Forever

Nope, they would probably not let me on the jury if I paid them, due to my religious beliefs.

17. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

I've been to food courts. Toured old courthouses. Watched a sentencing (civics class) - man got like 20 years for attempting to kill three officers in their car with an assault rifle.

Been in court for anything official? Nope.

18. KaNick

KaNick Deity

Once for a traffic ticket.

19. -0blivion-

-0blivion- Musically inclined

Went to magistrates court for a mock-trial last year to learn about the law.

20. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Did you fight it?

If so did you win?