Have you ever built Hanging Gardens?

Archon_Wing

Vote for me or die
Seriously, I've built Stonehenge more than I can build this thing.

Many times ... maybe in top 3 of my wonders build ... with China no problems , with other civs its gamble but worth it ...

P.S. Never build Stonehenge on other side

I don't believe I have since the beginning like when I was on Warlord difficulty. :lol: Even Prince can be hard to build this thing. Unless you want to delay settling, but why would you.

When I first started playing Civ 6. Then I realized it’s a completely passable wonder and a hammer-trap for AI.

You do need to rush for it, though.

Rarely, but I do try quite hard for it on
Egypt if I don’t have stone around.

An early wonder surrounded by Sphinxes is pretty strong (if a bit janky looking....)

Pretty sure I haven't. I've captured it a handful of times. In one game, France was uncomfortably close. I watched it being built in Paris and attacked as soon as it was finished. That may be the closest I'll ever come to building it. :p

Only with China
Once built Stonehenge with India because it was near the end of classical, I had Magnus and lots of forest, and nobody else had built it
The only ancient wonders I go for often are Oracle and Pyramids
I did have a ridiculous ToA site recently, about 8 game and some cattle, but it got built whilst I was hesitating about going for it :blush:

Yes, but I often don't try - though I have got it twice in GS so far. I find the presence of the Great Bath gives the AI something else to try for as well as HG and Stonehenge, so if you can start it early enough you have a decent shot at one of those last two.

As for the Great Bath, I haven't bothered trying for that yet as it goes so early, and ain't nobody got time to go for a wonder when you haven't even built the basic essentials yet.

I built the Great Bath yesterday in my first ottoman playthrough. It's effects were underwhelming, my expansion was slowed considerably and I had to settle 6 cities very defensively. Got completed surrounded by incas on south and east, and phoenicia settled a city right on top of my capital and amphibious assaulted me (we we're separated by a lake and mountains) within a turn of founding the city, it seemed very calculated and somewhat genius. I was relatively ready for it... I had walls and an encampment near the ocean in my one coastal city plus ibrahim with +5 damage in friendly territory promotion inside.. and phoenicia still took it. The biremes relentlessly slammed into it from north while catapults amphibious landed from lake in south and chariots harassed from his new city in the east. It was the most impressive naval/land hybrid invasion I've ever seen and it was very early in game.

Anyways, moral of the story is don't build Great Bath. Ever.

Occaisonally, but rarely. The earliest Wonder I ever constantly go for is probably Petra or Colossus.

Hanging Gardens is nice in your capital since it provides additional housing, but I generally find Temple of Artemis and Stonehenge to be better early wonders.

Temple of Artemis also provides housing along with a straight food bonus (just to that city). However, the Amenities bonus can function like a production and food bonus for much of the game.

Also, I often delay Irrigation, so I get access to Artemis and Stonehenge more easily.

Artemis is so unreliable too IMO. Some times it goes on turn 40, other times you can build it on turn 70....

Maybe AI shouldn't get a production bonus to wonders. It'd be like a Malian thing in reverse.

About the only early one I go for is temple of artemis if my starting location is nice for it. I haven't had an issue getting it on Emperor-Immortal but you have to basically beeline it.

I built it once on Immortal about two months after release with the Aztecs. Since then, it usually went right after Stonehenge on higher difficulties. With the revamping of AI wonder priority in GS, I’m not sure where it falls, but I honestly wouldn’t want it anyways. Oracle and Pyramids are far superior.

Not really. Needs some stiffening of the terrain requirements.

Not sure what that would be though.

Then again, its benefits are mild enough that I would mainly only build it to boost Drama & Poetry.

The only time I go for an early wonder is if I'm Egypt or China. And even with either of those I'm usually going for Stonehenge, Oracle, or ToA instead of Hanging Gardens. I generally just consider the Great Bath and the Hanging Gardens as freebies for the AI that I will never get.

Sure, it's an okay wonder, just not normally worth going for (like early game wonders in general). It's a million times better than Stonehenge at least which is still perhaps the worst piece of crap in the whole game if you ask me

The only wonders I still have never built are Machu Picchu and the new temple wonder from GS but I'm sure those'll come one of these days too

Top Bottom