Have you EVER had the AI say 'yes' to a demand?

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
I've wiped out other Civ's, I have a huge army right outside their borders, I say 'I demand crab' and they tell me to F.O.

I've never had anyone give in to a demand. Makes no sense.

I think if they are Afraid of you they will give in to your demands.

Nope, tried it myself with Korea, saying quote: "Come and take it from me." So naturally I razed all of his cities to the ground, nuked his capital twice & pillaged every tile he owned. Man it's good to be Songhai :D

I think about the only use for the "Demand" feature is if you're TRYING to make that civ mad. I don't know if you could actually tease the AI into declaring war though. I know it doesn't hurt.

It does work (at least it did back in g+k, that's probably the last time that I did that ^^), but not that often. I think you have to be way stronger (so that they're afraid of you) and your relationship must be somewhat neutral at least. Ais that hate you didn't seem to accept tribute demands.

Yes it suprinsinly worked a few games back.Most of the time I think the Ai is calculating how much you actually want it / they know you actually won 't do anything about it.But I have mixed feelings about the mechanic.
In Civ 4 I believe it was if you tried to bully the Ai and they gave in you could not invade them for a certain amount of terms.I like that.I don 't like that.But on Civ 5 you can demand something they can give it to you and you can invade them without any barriers.I guess that should be the way it happens.

The Civ4 demand makes sense. The target can use the precious time to shore up defense against the aggressor.

No, not really. It's usually rare for me to ask for demand from an ai because of rejection. Most of the time, a is will ask me for tribute and I will say no. As for the ai saying no to me often it is because I hardly ask. I have asked for tribute mondy and gpt to make peace, bur then again the ai doesn't always like to pay for peace.

I have successfully demanded Open Borders when the other civilization hated me (Hostile or Guarded) and wouldn't trade me OB for a reasonable price.

I've successfully demanded several times when the AI is afraid of me.

If your demands are too onerous they won't give in, even if they are afraid.

Nope, tried it myself with Korea, saying quote: "Come and take it from me." So naturally I razed all of his cities to the ground, nuked his capital twice & pillaged every tile he owned. Man it's good to be Songhai :D

Get nukes, get them afraid. They will give in to your demands.:king:

I actually forgotten we have this option in CIV5 :D

Yeah, that's quite a reflection of its utility...

Which reminds me, does the AI ever demand stuff anymore? I had a game way back in Vanilla where Harun Al-Rashid kept harassing me for money/luxuries/strategics, but it hasn't happened ever since.

In one game I was playing the Zulus on a Fractal map. I marched my army through a maze of German cities on a peninsula to get to (and wipe out) Byzantium at the tip of the peninsula. On the way back, I discovered Germany’s borders had grown and blocked off my passageway through his cities (I wasn’t able to embark yet).

So I asked Bismarck (who was Friendly, I think) if he wanted to exchange Open Borders and he declined. I asked, “What will make this deal work?” and he replied “There is no way to make this work.” So I demanded that he give me Open Borders and he said, “If it’s the only way to keep the peace.” So, instead of receiving Open Borders from me, his stupid stubbornness caused him to get nothing in return. All my units were parked on his borders (not to coerce him, but simply because I was trying to get them back home), but I don’t remember him being Afraid. Of course, this was almost a year ago when BNW first came out, so I might be misremembering.

Which reminds me, does the AI ever demand stuff anymore? I had a game way back in Vanilla where Harun Al-Rashid kept harassing me for money/luxuries/strategics, but it hasn't happened ever since.

The AI can only ask, where we can only demand. When you say yes to a DOF it's an open door for the AI to ask(not demand) for stuff usually gold, should you say yes you get a bright green positive diplo modifier with them saying something like "we helped them out when they asked".

Yes I have. The problem I have is knowing how much to ask for.

All the time. Mid to late game if I'm flush with cash they ask for it a lot.

Top Bottom