1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever killed? (animals, insects etc)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I envy you. I wouldn't wish rats or mice on anyone, they rank among the most terrible of pests.

You are probably far enough north (and in a suburban-enough area) that you don't have tons of cockroaches either.

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I think I ran over a cat a few minutes ago :sad:.

3. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

Mammal evolution.

4. galdre

galdre Emperor

I don't believe in harming animals - I buy my meat from the grocery store, where no animals are harmed...

Seriously though, I leave most bugs and spiders alone, but if it's something that will bite me, I bite back (or squash back), so mosquitoes beware... I've killed a few fish in my life, but the only other animal I killed was on accident; a deer jumped in front of my car while driving through the California mountains. I'm about 99% a vegetarian so I do cause a few animal deaths indirectly.

5. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

Killing a thing that is trying to eat you (even if it is a small insect) is hardly comparable to pillaging a dwelling of small things not concerned with you at all until you attack them or torturing of a random small thing to see how it reacts when you tear off parts of it.

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Well personally i was more interested in the possible fact that the ants were oblivious to the difference of size between us (for all one knows they may have thought i was the size of my thumb), and this annoyed me a bit due to having to deal with hostile people in elementary school at that period, who i am pretty sure got symbolized by the ants (i had very low view of their capacities for anything).
    So killing the ants ceremoniously meant i was ridding myself of the symbols of those people.
    Of course that is just one part of it, but i am pretty sure it was indeed part of it.

7. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Yeah! Also where I live there aren't any spiders that are even potentially harmful to humans (apart from the occasional stowaway in a banana crate from a warmer country, or whatever).

I've killed any number of mosquitoes and flies, and have murdered countless fish (mostly assembly-line style while working summer jobs in aquaculture when I was younger). However, the only cases where I've knowingly killed warm-blooded creatures have been mercy killings of injured rodents or small birds (choose to live with outdoor cats, that becomes your responsibility). Never felt like taking up hunting as a hobby and never had any compelling reason to seek employment in a slaughterhouse either.

8. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Actually I have. I was a particularly sadistic kid, pinning mice in their cage doors by their necks, even holding a rabbit by its ears and bumping it into walls. Not even a week into owning that rabbit, it had died and I probably was the indirect cause of it's death.

It still affects me greatly today even though I was like 10 at the time, but I think it's affected me for the better. I recall a few years after the rabbit, my familiy's maid found an injured bird in the parking lot and brought it to me. I tried so hard to make the bird comfortable but it died in the night and I just cried my eyes out, even holding a little funeral for it in the back of the apartment building. I still get a little teary eyed about it today.

Really the only things I'll kill are those giant mosquito eater bugs that fly into my apartment. You know, the ones that are so big they can barely fly!

9. Ai Shizuka

Ai Shizuka King

It was a frog. A very small one, about 2 cm long.

I would have killed a bug/spider of the same size without hesitation, most likely by dropping it in the WC or vacuum-cleaning it if it was particularly disgusting.

So it's not about the size or the mess cause by squashing it, but probably just about the cuteness or the lack thereof.

I actually took a picture:

Spoiler :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

10. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Awww what a cutey. I'd buy it a little dish and decorate it like a pond

11. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

But you are a mammal ;). Mammals are known to take other things sentimentaly, especially if they have two cute eyes and look as helpless piece.

12. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

I'm currently involved in an animal physiology project, involving isolating mitochondria from the livers of bluegill that have adapted to survive in a power plant cooling lake (~90 F, year round). We want to see how cellular respiration differs in fish that are living in abnormally hot environments, as compared to fish in ordinary lakes.

Anyway, mitochondria suffer serious damage if they go without oxygen for more than a minute or so, so we have to guillotine the fish and rip out their livers in less than a minute, storing the tissue in an ice-cold medium that preserves respiratory function until we can analyze it. So yes, I have been killing quite a lot lately, in the name of science! :evil:

For what it's worth, I rarely kill for other reasons. I typically even leave ants and other bugs alone in the house, although sometimes I'll kill an ant in a group to watch the alarm pheromone response in the nearby ants. Spiders and whatnot are fine by me too, unless they are, or resemble, a brown recluse. Wasps, bees, mosquitoes, and flies are the only bugs I usually kill on sight.

13. Tycho Brahe

Tycho Brahe Emperor

When I was a kid, me and my friend fried a spider with a magnifying glass while it was still alive.

14. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

This year, about five frogs or toads fell and got stuck in my basement window well. All at once.

I was too lazy to rescue them, until a few died. Then I felt sorry for them and got the remaining out.

15. Rulle_Kebab

Rulle_Kebab Warlord

I remember my dad, getting VERY upset with me one day. I got persuaded by my friend to scorch ants with a magnifying glass. When he saw it he got VERY angry. Since then I dont think I've killed animals...
    I will kill cockroaches when I see them but besides that, I can't think of any animals I myself would kill.
    I see the hunting today as totally a sadistic behaviour and can't even see why one would!
    I agree that species cropping is needed to keep a sort of balance but I would never do it myself.
    Burning ants is one thing, but to kill animals for no real reason at but to feel like a neanderthal i find very offensive! But just as offensive as keeping huge herds in small pens or chicken farms where they are sitting in 30x30 cms cages.
    I might actually be the militant vegan that there is another topic about altho I think people are free to decide. I just feel discusted at people who choose the cheap way out.
    Can't afford a free range chicken dont eat chicken - that simple.
    Wanna kill animals? then use the WHOLE animal, use the fur, the intestines, the meat and bones.
    This whole use/kill and throw out society we have right now sickens me.

16. NetGear

NetGear King

I pick up bugs or trap them and chuck them out the window if I can. I'm not against killing though. Especially if its impractical and they're pests. I do want to keep my house clean after all.

I think most people killed ants when they were little. Its immature thing to do but I wouldn't consider it sadistic . just curiosity of a child that's all.

17. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

So now you call me an immature teen? :trouble:

18. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Bugs and insects freak the hell out of me, so I could never get close enough to kill them, and I feel weirdly bad after doing so anyways (I've killed some nasty looking spiders will febreeze and my lamp before).

I probably couldn't kill anything larger than that and not go all depressive, unless it was by proxy, then I could probably do it.

19. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

Heck, yeah! I'm not supposed to welcome cockroaches and stinkbugs into my home, am I?

20. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

I can imagine that I accidentally killed a bunch of ants when stepping on them or whatnot, but I always found the idea of *just killing things* to be wanton. But like I said, I'm sure I used the flyswatter every now and again.