Have you ever lost your Capital?

Rombizio

Chieftain
I never heard of any human player losing a capital. Anyone had this unpleasant experience?:lol:

I think most people stop playing when they realize their capital is about to be taken - losing your capital usually means you're about to lose the game.

Yes. It sucks. I had a 16 pop capital get taken. Once I recaptured, the pop went down to 4. Game over for me.

Erm i lost my capital once on prince. I was Byzantium, and was going all out religon, I didn't notice Napoleon building his army on my borders. Um, so yeah.

I've had it happen a few times, once during a random game long ago, once during a GotM, and a handful of times trying to win as the Boers on Deity in the Scramble scenario. I usually am thinking maybe I can hold out so I don't quit.

I almost lost it in GnK once. I didn't build walls and castle for some strange reason, and Russia was my neighbor. In GnK Russia spammed cities like crazy, so it didn't take long before she dropped dozen of cities around my three cities. Then she swarmed with huge number of knights, xbos and catapults (didn't even denounce, was willing to give me full price for trades, didn't turn hostile first, she just attacked out of nowhere).

She dropped my capital at red, but so I had to sell most luxuries to rush buy defenses. I got lucky, because some other civ attacked her (my guess is she expanded into other AIs as well) so she split her forces, so I easily picked them off then.

I was playing a game as Dido where I was warmongering pretty hard. I spawned around the middle of my continent, Brazil was to my south. He expanded NORTH of me on a really sweet city spot I was saving for after building NC. I let it go for a few thousand years while I conquered the Greeks, Spanish, and most of the Dutch. As my army was across the world dealing with an Egyptian backstab on my new Spanish cities, Brazil launched a dirty counter-attack from his isolated city (which happened to be right next to my capital. I have no idea where he managed to get all of those units, but he did manage to take over Carthage during the 8 turns my army was on the way back. I quickly retook my capital as well as his isolated city, then headed south to finish him off.

Rio de Janeiro ended up being my trading center, at least until I declared war on the rest of the world.

On a side note, I really wish there was a surrender option for AIs when they're the last civ left and they're friendly with you. I felt really bad destroying Assyria after we'd been friends for 300+ turns. :(

I've been getting my bum handed to me lately on immortal. I think I am doing good but then the surprise double DOW by my neighbors and 3 turns later every tile around my cap is occupied by bad guys. Game over man, game over!

I guess you've never tried Diety........xD

Yeah only once playing as Washington - got swamped early game by huge Celtic army. I can't remember my capital even getting attacked much apart from that, it's always another city the AI goes for (and doesn't get very often). I quit the game above but I don't quit on the rare times I lose a (non-capital) city I man up and go and get it back. Well that's the Press release version anyway...:)

Once as China, was really stupid-was building Notredam and when the roman legions arrived, I did not want to switch production to protect myself(somewhat underestimating the numbers against me). Reloading from an auto save I easily crushed his attack and proceeded to wipe him out.

I've lost smaller cities and recaptured them and won the game. But like many others here, I won't still be playing if I can't defend my capital :lol:

It happened to me when I was playing as Spain, was neighbour with Shaka and you probably know the rest

Top Bottom