1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you found your favorite GS civ/leader yet?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Starwars, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Starwars

Starwars Warlord

For me, I've really taken a liking to Phoenicia, which I didn't really expect. I like that get some additional trade routes, and I kinda like naval powers. The ability that gives full loyalty when settling on coast on your continent can make for some fun (and trollish!) gameplay. The Cothon is a nice district.
    Moving the capital takes a really long time but it's a fun ability to use.

My least favorite has probably been Canada (though obviously more time is needed to test out a lot of these civs). I find the lack of surprise wars to be a good ability but it also removes tension and I think Civ VI really needs that.

What are your favs and least favs?

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I play marathon so I'm only on my third game.

Sweden and Canada are both pretty boring in the early game, but they get a bit more interesting later in the "how can I best maximize the arrangement of things" sense. Canada is weak in particular, but not necessarily unfun.

Maori is very fun from beginning to end. You start with massive exploration and fighting to extend your foothold on a landmass to later exploiting the natural landscape for eco-tourism. Plant all the trees! But it is perhaps too powerful.

MisterBoomBoom likes this.
  3. MaryKB

MaryKB Deity Supporter

I don't think I plan to play anyone other than Eleanor ever again.

blackcatatonic likes this.
  4. ZeroSuitSenpai

ZeroSuitSenpai Warlord

It's Dido and I knew it would be. I love early expansion and playing a gold-heavy trading game.

Ziad likes this.
  5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm not sure. I'm at a point now I've played each leader once. I got all the non scenario achievements except Peacekeeper which seems a bit impossible atm (I hope AI Canada can do it for me).

Now I can play more for fun and also more challenge by upping the difficulty level. Incas I still like a whole heck of a lot. Mali and Maori are both pretty cool. Dido isn't bad, I do love those cheap harbors. Both Hungary and Ottomans are strong at what they do. Kristina I like as well. For me, the bottom of the list is Eleanor and Wilfred.

I think my next game will be Hungary, but a more hybrid style this time.

6. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Does New Egypt count? They seem to play a lot different post-expansion (even moreso than the changes).

Icicle and ZeroSuitSenpai like this.
  7. ZeroSuitSenpai

ZeroSuitSenpai Warlord

I agree. Egypt is a blast in GS.

8. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

Honestly I am torn.
    On the one hand, there are so many worlds in dire need of terracing. The masses pray to Pachacuti for 3D agricultural salvation. Even if they toned back some of what the inca do, I'd still love them. terrace farms are everything I wish polders could have been. They just so radically change how you play and plan cities. A+ to FXS.

On the other hand, before this my favorite civ has been Germany; with their massive buff of getting a production queue, I finally don't have to click so much when I play them. Oh, and coal plants, which are casually giving their cities +14 production here, +22 there, occasionally +51... The ramp up from Medieval->Renn->Industrial is, frankly, insane. They are, IMO, the most buffed vanilla civ in GS by a massive margin.

I have done 2 kupe games, and I like the playstyle niche, but he's just way too strong.

Icicle and Jewman like this.
  9. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I have only tried four of them so far (Freleanor, Hungary, Phoenicia and Inca). I haven't even got to the Maori yet! I like to take my time over my games...

I guess I kind of like them all, though Eleanor and Phoenicia are the closest aligned to my favourite playstyles (and I love that Eleanor has made France so much more enjoyable for me). Eleanor will probably be the first I try again.

One of the reasons I love this expansion so much is the civ/leader design just seems so much better. For both the base game and R&F, it was about playing once as each leader in order to unlock the achievements, and I ended up thinking "good, I'm done with them". With every G&S Civ I've tried so far, I've ended every game so far already planning what I will do differently the next time I play as that leader. It's pretty great.

Noble Zarkon, j51 and Sostratus like this.
  10. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

For GS I loved playing Ottoman a lot more than I thought I would as I'm not a fan of one trick warmonger ponies. I think it's the synergy between Ibrahim and Victor that makes conquest so much smoother.
    Also played a pacifist Maori culture game, you gotta love all those yields stacking up.

11. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Inca probably. I don't care about fighting, but I love building and unique tile improvements.

Sweden and Maori are probably in second.

12. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

I haven't played them all yet, but I know the way I play and what I like.
    It's Eleanor.

13. Jewman

Jewman Prince

The Inca. I love everything about them, I can never have enough workers when I play as them.

Sostratus likes this.
  14. Mr_PeaCH

Mr_PeaCH Chieftain

While Inca are my favorite in a sense, I feel they are overpowered. My dark horse favorite is Mali. I love a desert-friendly civ and I love a civ with trade bonuses and here are both. The synergy between Religion/Faith and Commerce/Gold is really good too. I haven't played yet all the way through but I'm going to dream up a 'hot' map on an 'old' earth so I can have a great and peaceful Malian empire victory.

15. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I find Mali challenging early game and they are my current favorite for that reason. Also a huge fan of the Maori and Eleanor (France), as both require some plotting instead of the simple (murder everyone) that the Ottomans present for example. Not tried Phoenicia or Canada yet, and I'm looking forward to the Inca.

What changes were made to Egypt?

16. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

For Inca and Maori, who most seem to say are overpowered, I think the answer is to heavily nerf the unique units. That way you'll still be able to play what their main abilities were SUPPOSED to be. Who needs another powerful unique unit rush civ anyhow?

17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Just the thing where river flooding doesn't hurt them. I think the new maps and better rivers help them leverage their abilities more though--I just seem to get more interesting starts than before, without it being anything the civ itself is directly doing. The chariot UU seems better to me too--or at least I've been trying it out more.

18. DannyMustardpants

DannyMustardpants Chieftain

Kristina for sure.

19. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Eleanor. Something about a domination game without any war is so satisfying.

20. ZeroSuitSenpai

ZeroSuitSenpai Warlord

The flood changes are nice, but the main buff is that she can now place Sphinxes next to each other while she couldn't before GS. This means that building an early wonder and surrounding it with Sphinxes for +6 culture and +18 faith is a possibility early in the game. With Stonehenge ToA or Oracle, she is really quite fun.