Have you had value for money out of Civ3?

Is Civ3 value for money?

• I've had my $50 worth and a whole lot more

Votes: 69 69.7%
  • It's ok - still happy I bought it

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Not really - not bad but wish I'd waited

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • A waste of $50 - I want my money back!

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters

Exile_Ian

Warlord
My short answer is YES, YES, YES!

Sure there's some problems, and the larger games are simply too slow to play - but in terms of bangs for my bucks - its simply the best $50 I've ever spent! :p

I would have to say that I am Happy I bought it. One night at the pub is easily $50 and I have played longer than one night. Civ3 has stopped me going to the pub a couple of nights so it has maybe even saved me money.

Yup, worth every single cent I paid. In fact, I paid RM140 (about USD36.8) for it when I can get ( do not even mention the "w" word here :eek: ) :lol:

After buying Civ3 my internet charges shoot through the roof (mainly due to visiting the forum ;) ) but its worth every single cent I must say!

Actually I believe Civ3 is reasonable priced for a game that can last your months if not years. Considering the fact that I have to pay RM120 (USD31.5) for an expasion pack (read The Sims : Hot date). And someone is complaining that Civ3 is expensive :rolleyes:

Yes, it was worth what I paid. Lots of things I don't like, but Firaxis earned their money. I hope someone comes up with ways to make the endgame less tedious. Maybe more modern units have higher support costs to prohibit building 500 of them ?

Er, ben, you can always build wealth instead.

I like these polls. The anti Civ III crowd can be so vocal that I think they're the majority, and it's nice to see that the people who hang out on a fan board actually like the topic.

I love Civ 3
I even have a nice story coming along in the Story forum and it is not a story of victory! It is a story of excess pride a massive ongoing war and one that makes me feel good to fight the odds and take on the world :rolleyes:
so to anwser your question I think I got 100$ worth out of the game :goodjob:
but no I would not of paid 100$ for civ3.

I do build wealth instead. But the computer players also build relatively large militaries and if you don't match up in the arms race you get whacked. Believe me, I am not the conqueror type (until attacked, that is. Then I hold a grudge.) A better way I could have phrased it was to 'discourage' or 'inhibit' building 500 of them instead of prohibit.

well you can change some rules like that in the Civ3 mod just make sure you don't have a game saved at that point ;)
I changed a few things in my game like I added the "in love with" and "Repulsed by" in the culture ratings of civs.
also I made swordmen be able to upgrade to marines and Infantry upgrade to mecanical Infantry also calvery now upgrades to tank!
I created the government Theocracy which has a 20 unit free support and are imune to propaganda and citys do not flip very easily! but to even it out I made the rush buy "forced labor", science can only be 70% and citys you take over (esspesolly other Theocracys) can be hard to control and easy to flip. so its best to destroy other civs citys when Invading!
I made Theocracy the Favorite gov. of the Aztecs. and the shuned gov. of the Romans.
A few other things I did was change Regent to Prince, up the city count before massive corruption and made science (for everyciv) quicker to get! also oil is not as quick to dissapear from the map.
thou through all of the changes I made I make sure not to tip the balance in my favor anyway!

ren, I prefer Civ II also.

The threads and posts are many about the myriad assortment of irritating problems with Civ III. I've spent hours in the Editor alone trying to get the values correct, accurate, and playable - things Sid should have done before marketing the game.

Culture flipping, corruption, useless navies, stupid cheating AI, and on and on with the problems.

For the more mature consumer, we are disappointed. For the less educated and less sophisticated consumer,well, they likely fawn over Civ III. :crazyeyes

I have to admit I was one of those who was initially disappointed with Civ3 having played Civ2 a lot. But I kept on playing and I am gradually finding ways to handle the different challenge. Even one-shield cities dont annoy me any more cos I have turned some of them into size 12 fully-equipped cities over the course of a long game.

Sure, its worth the money, and there are a few things I am still not fond of but I'm working on it. I guess I am much more likely to give up if its too easy rather than too hard. As long as there is a challenge that I havent found an answer to ...then I will just have to play another game (or two....) :lol:

:beer:

So basically 9 out of 10 owners (who expressed a preference) think they got a good deal. That's about what I would have guessed and puts the often negative tone of the forum in some context - doesn't it?

Unhappy people tend to be far more vocal than happy people, it's human nature. Just ask anyone who works in customer service.

And Troyens, I find your statement that people who are tolerant of Civ 3 are "less educated and less sophisticated" to be highly offensive. How would you like it if we said we found those who dislike Civ 3 to be "more pompous and more self-impressed" than those who do like it? Well, try those feelings on for size, because I'm saying it.

Well let's see.

Average of 1 hour per day.

I've had it for 2 months.

So at around 1$/1hr I must say quite good entertanment for the price :lol:

Originally posted by Rosicrucian
Well let's see.

Average of 1 hour per day.

I've had it for 2 months.

So at around 1$/1hr I must say quite good entertanment for the price :lol:

So at around 1$/hr for 2 months at 3 hrs/day I must be making lots of profit already ! :lol: :lol: Eventhough each instalment is costing me more (I got Civ1 for RM40 back then. Some company produced it in Singapore under licence from Microprose I believe.), each is so far better than the last. ;)

I've had the game two months and lose sleep playing it three to four times a week.

That is a first for me...well actually a second, anyone who remembers Empire, that game kept me occupied for a while.

I played CIVIII for a month before I allowed myself to tweak anything in the editor, and by then I had grown to appreciate many of the balance functions. It is interesting to note that some of the longer running threads and mods offered in the other forum end up almost coming full circle back to the beginning if you look at what they changed at first and then go back and tweak.

For me, an adjustment to the HP for units based on experience, and a slight adjustment to the optimal number of cities, has created a great game environment to my taste.

I think the AI is about as close to PC state of the art as you can find, especially the first time I saw it target my strategic resources with bombers and amphib assaults rather than sacrifice it's army against my superior numbers.

So this game is great value for the money, and I am especially impressed with the presence of Firaxis Dan on these forums. There are always things to improve, and I hope to see Civ4 someday.

Bill

Yeah, I like Civ3 a lot, and I think that I've got the bangs for my bucks... Considering the many short-life games we see nowadays, I'd say that Civ3 is a very attractive deal...

Unfortunately, I don't have much time to play it as I'd like to, due to some real life constraints, but whenever I have some free time, then it's Civ time!

We all know that the game still has some problems, but nothing that a patch (or even an expansion pack :cringe: ) could not fix...

I enjoy the game thoroughly.
I more that got my money's worth out of it.
It is quite amusing to see how people get emtionally charged over it though.
Even to the point where a very few disgruntled Civ3 people like to insinuate that maturity level or intelligence has something to do with why they dislike Civ3.
I say get over it, and get over yourselves while you are at it.
You like the game or you do not, no other modifiers need be applied.
:)

Originally posted by Bill_in_PDX
anyone who remembers Empire, that game kept me occupied for a while.
Bill

Manybe that game should count as Civ0 .:lol:

Man did I loose sleep over that! But strange as it sounds - I could get hooked on that today. Probably I`d split my time 50:50 between CivIII and Empire....

I posted a thread a few weeks ago in which I claimed that the Civilization series represented the best entertainment value per dollar that I'd ever spent. I still say that's true.

I went and shelled out US$62 for the limited edition on the day it was released. Haven't regretted it for a second, and I doubt I ever will.

Top Bottom