1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you personally achieved anything you feel pride in?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lohrenswald, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Nope, I have decided nothing. I cant decide to get happiness by being gay since that not part of my nature and I cant decide to be happy by following my straight instincts either - its something I follow upon.

Paths that you know that leads you to happiness...

2. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

He did not say nor imply this, though. Also kind of a silly answer, since I don't think anyone can tell beforehand which path leads to happiness. It's better this way, too. I don't even want to know in advance.

Good example.

3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Sure you have. You have decided that you "can't be happy by following your straight instincts"... while I have decided that sex makes me very happy indeed.

But if your point is more technical, along the lines of ... I can't choose that literally anything makes me happy, ie the colour orange makes me happy, so the "whatever" in "happiness is whatever you want it to be" is technically incorrect... then I concede the point. "Happiness is whatever you want it to be" is a lot more philosophical than deciding that a ham sandwich makes you happy... (although ham sandwiches make me very happy tbh;))

Mechanicalsalvation likes this.
  4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I'm proud of doing all those hikes I did and not dying. I feel slightly proud I am able to venture out into the middle of nowhere and survive. But it's not really something I think about

dusters and Synsensa like this.
  5. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Its true that I had more in view the technical side of the issue but never the less I claim you dont decide that sex or anything else makes you happy. You observe what various actions offer you in the term of satisfaction and than you act on that. Your decisions arent in many ways suverein but are compromises or represent various degree of cooperation between your physical-emotional-mental nature and the surrounding social environment. Your decision are itself not exclusively yours but are essentialy a tool of some wider nature which it uses for its own purposes. The decisions are to a large extent illusory - you dont decide but you merely ACCEPT from the pool of possibilities presented to you at any given time.

P.S. I have just realise we may not be on the same page. While I take happiness as something self-evident when you talk about "deciding what makes you happy" you seem to be pointing out to some mental ascertainment of that fact.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  6. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

We might also be talking past each other in the sense that by "happiness" I am talking more in terms of overall contentment-with-life, than an individual serotonin rush.