1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you personally achieved anything you feel pride in?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lohrenswald, Dec 26, 2016.

1. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

I remember the deacon giving a sermon about pride being a sin. It was gay pride week. :D

dusters, Kyriakos and Hygro like this.
  2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

There is a false connection being assumed here.

I find that pride is a pleasant emotion, so I indulge in it sometimes. There is no requirement that I do something world shaking to be able to indulge. My life is full of things I can "take pride in," like every other life.

Just like my life is full of things I could feel guilty about, same as any other life. I find guilt unpleasant and not particularly constructive beyond a "lesson learned" aspect that I can get with a very brief indulgence, so I don't indulge in much guilt.

I find, generally, that people who "never feel any pride" are much the same as people who wallow around in their guilt. They are using their emotions to seek some external confirmation. Demanding that someone chuck them under the chin and argue for all the great things they have done that they could take pride in if they chose, or pat them on the back and tell them the things they have done are not really all that bad. I don't mind these unconscious dominance behaviors, because they are generally done unconsciously, as stated, but being aware of them I make every effort to root them out of myself.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

What about those who don't care about what other people say? On my end, it doesn't really impact me in any meaningful way if someone tries to tell me I'm wrong or tells me I'm right. Most of the time I just agree with whatever's being said so the conversation ends (although I don't find myself in conversations about this very often).

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Those who "don't care what other people say" are not in the category "using guilt or 'lack of pride'" as a dominance tool. They are probably using some other tools, because seeking dominance is inherent in human being, but they aren't using that one.

5. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

There's a difference between pride and arrogance. It's like I've sometimes said when we get into a discussion of patriotism: Be proud of the positive things your country has accomplished. But don't brag about it, because bragging is just rude.

This can apply to many other things as well. Am I proud of that music medal? I was extremely proud at the time, since I was so extremely nervous the day of the exam, and thought I'd done much worse than I had. When I got the letter about that award... well, you've heard of "Cloud 9", right? That's where I spent the rest of the day.

A few decades' perspective on it, though, and I realize that there have been many people who have won that award, and while on that one particular day we were technically very good, the real measure of a musician is how much the audience enjoys listening. I've heard technically perfect musicians who literally put me to sleep. I have always tried to not be that musician who put the audience to sleep (unless the idea was to calm a young child, or even one of my cats; honestly, the Venusian lullaby the Third Doctor sang to the Monster of Peladon worked on my Siamese cat).

dusters and Disgustipated like this.
  6. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

Pride is satisfaction taken a notch higher. For myself I found that satisfaction with my work is more appropriate, and, in the long term, modest. Doesn't let me bask too long in it.

I do find my constant thirst for knowledge rather satisfactory. I wouldn't say I'm proud of it, no, it is what every person should be doing.

7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I have too much pride sometimes. They say pride is a sin. And I do realize it can lead to arrogance. But I can't help the good feeling sometimes. Unfortunately the opposite is true, I feel really bad when I fail.

As for the thread question I take pride in my accomplishment I mentioned in the 2016 accomplishments thread. Sure many many people can do what I did, but for me it was a personal best.

8. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

As I've said in a prior similar thread, I've not only started drawing again, but I've gotten good enough to seriously consider doing commissions. This was something I hadn't even considered at the beginning of the year but have gotten really into.

Synsensa likes this.
  9. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

mmhh...
    Work: my M.sc. degree, the coming year hopefully my PhD degree. Also of some of the research I did in the last 4 years. I also moved to another country.
    Sports: The fact that I'm doing sports, that I feel fit (after being a sloth for 27 years). Finished the strong viking run. Did another race, and did not finish last (actually with a good time). Lost weight.
    Social: Having friends, being a good friend. Having confessed my love to someone. Got rid of an addiction without replacing it with another one. Got help with it when I needed it. Basically turned around my life. Being an adult (living in my own home, earning my own money, and not relying on anyone else for this; directly, at least)

All of this was hard, it took time and nerves/will. Don't want to miss any of it.

EDIT: And yeah, half of this is from the "what have you achieved in 2016" thread.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    yung.carl.jung likes this.
  10. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Got poetry published, and soon, a book. :)

dusters, yung.carl.jung and Kyriakos like this.
  11. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

I believe that I agree, but I'm not sure so wahey
    This sounds made up
    I've tried.
    I'm sure I have a lot of bogus reasons for not keeping up with it, but a very major one is that it takes at least two hours to write an entry
    I'm often afraid I do this.
    On one level I don't want to, since it feels pretty bad to get praise when you know you're actually terrible

12. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Yes, nine things.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

The odds that you qualify as "terrible" are actually pretty slim. Humans all think that we are so unique, but in reality we're all very much on par. Your emotional response is up to you.

Useful exercise: pick any event in your life. Write down what happened in as concise a form as you can. No embellishment, no how you felt about it, as Joe Friday would say "just the facts." Then describe the same event as if you were describing it to someone who for whatever reason would not approve of what you did, as shamefully as you can describe it. Then describe the same event in the most heroic terms you can make fit, real screenplay style.

Notice that the event never changes. You did what you did, and what happened is what happened.

Read all three descriptions over and over until you can read all of them with the same emotional response. This may take several readings, and the eventual response may well be boredom. That's fine, because it makes the point that whatever the emotional response, it is always optional, which makes which response completely your choice.

shadowplay likes this.
  14. MilesGregarius

MilesGregarius Half-baked Renegade

Same here.

15. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Tim that's homework. Booooo

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Yes, it is.

17. Synsensa

That quote isn't really true in any meaningful capacity. Maybe in maintaining health. Good luck selling the idea that you just have to work hard to not be sick anymore, though.

18. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

You have to work very hard for many/most things at least to the point till you can channel consciously the various natural forces through your system without becoming attached to them and to the results they create. After that you dont have to work anymore - you become the pure enjoyer.

May the force be with you.

dusters likes this.
  19. Synsensa

Can I get your chakras from Walmart?

20. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Yes but no.