1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you pre-ordered Civ4 Colonization?

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by Aemilius, Sep 7, 2008.

?

Well, have you?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

52.4%
  3. No, but I'm planning to

14.3%
  1. Aemilius

Aemilius Guest from Overseas

The title says it all.

2. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Chieftain

No. Easier to just go to a computer or games store after work one day and just pick up a copy.

3. Ellestar

Ellestar Prince

Well, i tried, but...
    Official store shipping method: mail blah blah blah
    Publisher in Russia: no information

Digital Download anyone? I mean, it's 2008, come on, they can't be THAT ********. Well, i guess torrents will be online in several hours. If they don't want my money, then so be it... I brought Civ 4 in international store back then, but i don't see why should i pay excessive shipping costs for a game when just about everyone else sells games online and they're too lazy to do it.

P.S. googling 'colonization "digital download" shop' gives me Stardock's Gal Civ II as a first link. Well, i already have it, but i guess it's a sign from above - instead of buying games from gay publishers, it's better to buy games from publishers who actually care about their customers.

4. NHJ BV

NHJ BV El Presidente

No, I'll just pick it up release day.

5. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

I just pre-ordered from Amazon yesterday.
    They finally clued in to the game. :D

6. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

I can't trust that my PC will be able to handle the requirements (very likely it will, but still), so I need to demo it first, and I don't think the demo is going to be here in time.

7. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

I will definitely demo it, both because I'm unsure about the computer requirements, and I have no faith in anyone any more. I've been burned too many times, so I will NEVER EVER buy sight unseen again. I already refuse to pre-order, as I think it's pretty stupid in most cases, however, I did do it ONE time, for the Civilization boardgame (from Eagle). By the time I have decided whether or not it's worth my money, the price will come down some and patches will be out and I'll get it then. I really don't like paying for unfinished work; I sure couldn't get away with dropping my trailer 2 miles from the destination and then making the customer hand-carry his order from there.

8. Honolulu Blue

Honolulu Blue Chieftain

I'm not sure where to put this, but decided this was as good a place as any.

According to Amazon.com, Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization is #6 in sales among PC games - behind two versions of Spore and three other games that aren't out yet. So there's definitely demand for it, which warms my heart, if not the ones at various interested corporate headquarters.

P.S. BTS is #20.

9. jediliz

jediliz Chieftain

no, cause Best Buy doesn't list it yet, and Target doesn't do that (preorders) for PC games and I may be waiting until November.

10. SoonerNation

SoonerNation Chieftain

Nah. I'll probably pick up the game at a store or order online as soon as I can get a new graphics card. :(

11. Sol_Invictus

Sol_Invictus Chieftain

I never preorder and usually wait a few days until I read some feedback before I buy a game; though I think Colonization is a very safe buy on release day.

12. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

no, I'll wait a while for the price to drop

13. Apocalypto

Apocalypto Chieftain

Pre-ordered with express delivery. :D

It warms my heart as well! I hope it sells really well, so that all those involved feel it was worth it and maybe we'll get an expansion in the future..

14. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

This.

I'll probably take a break from working and get it late afternoon.

I live in a huge city overloaded with retail.

I'd rather digitally download and not deal with media in the drive or DRM though but I'll probably get a physical copy of this game.

15. Ellestar

Ellestar Prince

Yeah i finally found a digital preorder.

16. Berba

Berba Warlord

I won't pre-order the game because then i maybe have it later then anyone else in sweden :(....
    So i'll pick up one on the release day:):)

17. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

If you mean Steam, it has its own DRM, and its own patch system (you can't use the same patches everyone else does). If you know some place where we can legally download new games and NOT be forced to install viruses on our computers, please share this information with us!

18. Berba

Berba Warlord

What's DRM??

19. Aemilius

Aemilius Guest from Overseas

20. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

DRM is essentially (in modern terms) a piece of software whose actual purpose (as opposed to its stated purpose) is to corrupt your computer and cause it to crash unnecessarily, requiring a reinstall of your OS and all your software, preferably with the loss of as much personal, irreplaceable data as humanly possible.

DRM companies try to tell you that it's to "protect their work", when in actuality, it does nothing of the sort. ALL DRM has been broken or bypassed. Professional pirates crack it before it's even released. The actual intent of DRM isn't to protect rights, but revenue streams, and indeed to create new streams. There is no crime in buying a movie disk and watching it on your computer OR your personal DVD player OR your home DVD player, but with sufficiently restrictive DRM, it becomes impossible to do so, and you have to buy a separate copy for each place you might conceivably want to watch that movie.

When it comes to computers, DRM tends to be as buggy as any other software, and it's also intentionally invasive, doing things to your computer that professional virus writers only get to have wet dreams about. Want to play such and such game? It comes with a huge risk in the form of a rootkit or custom drivers that CANNOT be removed without a complete OS reinstall.

DRM succeeds only in pissing off paying customers whose computers become unstable or just plain can't use the software they PAID FOR, and drives them eventually into the arms of the pirates, who simply bypass it.

$50 for something that trashes my computer and might stop working whenever the publisher wants it to
    vs
    $0 for something that just works but may be out of date for a couple weeks when a patch gets released

I wonder why the PC industry is flagging.

Read up on the controversy surrounding Spore.