1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

have you seen a city flip?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Sal, Aug 2, 2013.

?

Have you seen a city flip?

1. Yes

51.0%
  2. No

49.0%
  1. Sal

Sal Warlord

Simple yes or no. I was looking forward to this but despite getting massive tourism and revolutionary wave against other civs I can't make a city flip. Had -20 happiness too and mine never flipped.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I managed it in my first game, but I haven't seen it since.

3. Sal

Sal Warlord

Also, I meant to ask, if you have seen a city flip some description of how/when or a screen print would be great!

4. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

I've seen several cities flip to me and to other AIs in different games. I was particularly amused when Brazil -my main competitor at that time- flipped a Chinese city and China imeditely DoW'd him and reconquered it.

5. Eagle Pursuit

Basically, you just get the Liberate/Annex/Puppet/Raze prompt at the beginning of your turn. The one I flipped was a former capital of a third party, so I chose to liberate it.

6. Loucypher

Loucypher King

I've had two cities flip to me in one game. Basically you get a screen asking you to Annex/Raze/What have you, and if it had Great Works in it, then you get a message notifying that as well (though it doesn't specify which, just tells you it had great works).

7. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Half of Japan flipped to me in a Venice game. I ended up as the largest civ in the game.

8. Teaf

Teaf Warlord

I had four of Russia's cities flip to me in the same game.

Novgorod was the first to flip. I remember being suprised when the annex/raze/puppet appeared on my screen. St Petersburg was next to flip to me. After that, one on on the coast to the right of Ulundi which I razed (red box around the city ruins) and the fourth (bottom left on screenshot 2) was also flipped to me but I gave her it back as I had massive unhappiness due to getting so many of her cities. She chose Order for her ideology but she was hugely influenced by my autocracy and she ended up at something like -45 happiness and her cities just kept flipping.

9. Scott Jegg

Scott Jegg Warlord

I posted about it in another thread earlier.

Brazil/fractal/standard size/standard speed/immortal

Montezuma was at -23 unhappy. His second city, Teotihuacan (size 26), flipped to me, which I puppeted. He did nothing about the unhappiness, so Milan (size 22), flipped to me, which I liberated.

He was such a pain during that game. How I laughed as his empire was split in half by those flips.

That was the first time I'd seen cities flip. Neither were even bordered with me, which is what I was expecting would be a requirement. I was also expecting it to only happen with smaller ciies, but Teotihuacan was his biggest city apart from the capital.

10. Rohili

Rohili King

I did not even know that was possible, lol. I had runaway culture and happiness in a few games (at the lower difficult levels) but never got any flips. What are the factors that cause a city flip?

11. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

^This...same with my games so far.

12. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

I never got flips despite winning a culture victory. I had other civs say "we bow down to your BA culture, dude" but no flipping of cities. I liked that in Civ IV. I liked the culture visual in Civ IV, too... you don't see that in this one. The bright glowing line of your civ pushing its way onto another.

13. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

A civ must have -20 happiness and at least one city apart from their capitol, that's all it takes as far as I know. The target civilization is determined by cultural influence (tourism) and, at least according to some pre-release announcements, proximity of the other players' capitals to the flipped city.

14. dac050

dac050 Warlord

What tourism level do you have to have to do this? I was dominating (literally, tourism 200% of culture) the Mongols, and nothing ever flipped. All I've ever managed to do with tourism is cause revolutions so that eventually the entire world is following the same ideology.

Short version of the question, will a city flip if the ideology of the other civ is the same as yours? Or do the ideologies have to be different?

15. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

Yes, several times.

16. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

They won't flip if they have more than -20 happiness, which means "most of the time" since the AI still cheats a lot when it comes to happiness.

17. pilot00

pilot00 King

The need to be under severe ideological pressure (influential tourism) and have major unhappiness issues (to the -20 + mark me thinks) before they switch ideology, once they switch flipping doesn't happen as far as I know.

18. Eagle Pursuit

You must have a different ideology than them and they must have -20 happiness penalty due to ideological pressure (via tourism). You don't necessarily need to have a dominant or influential tourism level against them. Several civs with the same ideology as you could compound the pressure against the civs who do not follow it, allowing them to receive a bigger penalty than you would give them by yourself.

19. number51

number51 Warlord

So when Russian cities flipped to you, did Kathy give you a diplo hit? Did any other civ? I would hope there is a small hit (Kathy only), but much smaller than a war conquered city.

Did you get a diplo bonus for returning the city?

20. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

I experienced no (visible) diplomacy hit when I got cities from Tokugawa. That's just ridiculous if you ask me, if someone was stealing my cities I would be at their throats.