1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you won an always peace game at deity?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Mark1031, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

In the old versions of civ playing an always war game was considered to be 1 or 2 levels more difficult. Now I think always peace is the most difficult. I just lost an always peace game as the Cree on T 280 or so to space (I was about 7 turns short) while I won an always war game on T187 as the Aztecs. I’ve played some in between which is easier but essentially involves early war to capture as much as you feel you need to win in whatever way you like. This is quite formulaic and rather boring. At deity the AI is very good at expanding fast and all your space is taken. However, they are easy to beat militarily to take whatever you need as well as what they built for you. What is the point of all the other mechanics and strategy for winning other ways than just domination. I’d like to know if anyone has won at deity w/o ever taking an AI or CS city, just self built. I’m sure it can be done and I was close but to make it interesting you have to put self imposed restrictions on the game even at the highest level because the AI is so poor you can just roll over it and this is almost necessary at the highest level. There is really no penalty for expansion and the more space/districts you have the better you do. The addition of loyalty is easily handled and really adds nothing. It all seems pretty one dimensional to me. Why should I try to pretend I’m in a space race with spies and sabotage when all I really have to do is roll over the nearest civs, get 20 cities to manage and be in a dominant position to win?

2. hongyu20

hongyu20 Chieftain

Yes, it is fun to try different things, like you said, always going to war will get boring over time.Winning on diety peacefully may be slower than domination into science, but is definitely achievable.

3. huntss

huntss Chieftain

I am actually awful at war and I'm not sure how to fix that. I've yet to succeed with it, and when I have captured cities on deity they end up just flipping through loyalty anyway. I've won 2 peaceful games on deity as korea so far. Not sure what to try next, was thinking kongo culture victory or trying to war monger as aztecs or someone else that's good at it.

4. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

Did you win w/o ever taking a city or CS? Early war is pretty formulaic. Basically just build 4-5 slingers head to archery for upgrade, slip in a worker to get the craftsmanship boost, get craftsmen->Agogie or whatever it is called and swarm your nearest neighbor with archers warriors while getting to horses. You can usually take a couple early cities with just warriors and archers, even if they have wall if you play it carefully and kill off their starting units with archers. Then horses/swords with a ram and you can usually swallow the first 2 civs. For loyalty just let the first city revolt and keep moving. For longer term the governor that gives loyalty to nearby cities along with the 2 loyalty/garrison civic and you will eventually get things under control. The main thing is to just crank military and to act early.

5. huntss

huntss Chieftain

I see, I guess I get too greedy and try to get away with too few units. But yeah in both games I didn't conquor a single city or CS, in the 2nd game I flipped a 1 or 2 pop city like 10-15 turns before I won the game but it was inconsequential. In one of the games I tried for a knight timing push by pre building heavy chariots and upgrading them, but right as that happened a swarm of barbarians came at me and by the time I finished with them the ai also had knights and crossbows. The times I've tried to early warmonger I've usually built 2 slingers and 4 warriors and then would transition into non fighting units, and those early units would generally only be enough to take 1 city if that, which would get flipped anyway. I guess I should try actually using agogie and just pumping out units before transitioning into buildings and settler spam.

I suppose on that note, is it worth it to make corps and armies when you get that available to you? My first instinct was they don't increase enough in strength to justify losing the units to do it, but I have no clue.

6. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

Yes armies and corps are awesome, my first warrior usually becomes the head of a 4-5x promoted infantry army and that first slinger leads a 2 shot field cannon army, or more like several armies of each from the highly promoted early units.

7. Boyan_Sun

Boyan_Sun Chieftain

TheMeInTeam likes this.
  8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

sure. In vanilla, I have not played a R&F peaceful deity yet. The main issue is you need a good start and that requires much restarting which I dislike.
    It should be more possible now with "even spread" and the extra mechanics messing the AI up.

9. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

Yes in my game as Cree I was right next to Tamara. I rush forward settled blocked some of her settlers to grab another forward good site and back filled but her 2nd or 3rd city was right on my capitol 3rd ring. I got all I could I think but still only 6-7 cities. I am not an expert at science wins so I'm sure I could do better with different civ/strategy. I had great success with spys etc but Mvbemba was a monster and beat me. It seems strange to have to self impose restrictions at even the highest levels to make it interesting. Of course I could have rolled over the entire continent and won if I wanted but I think this is just a testament to how bad the AI is at war. In civ4 I never beat deity. Didn't try that much but it seems that is the way it should be, use every strategy you can and not win most/any games at the highest level. And civ4 difficulty was not just due to production bonus. The AI knew how to take advantage of weakness and bring the hammer with stacks of doom. In civ6 unrestricted I know I can win every game.

Frostburn likes this.
  10. huntss

huntss Chieftain

Has anyone made a video of one of the fast SV yet? I'd be really curious to see it.

11. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I am not the greatest at the game yet, so I wish I knew how this was possible. But for me, I just can't figure out how to play peacefully and win, even on Emperor. I need to take some AI cities early on to catch up to them. Once I expand early, it's easy and then I can run away with the game, but without early or at least medieval war I find it too difficult to catch up.

Frostburn likes this.
  12. hongyu20

hongyu20 Chieftain

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ky-rome-video-strategy-and-discussion.627129/

This is done by @civtrader6 and the video is very well explained.

13. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

14. Athmos

Athmos Chieftain

I've been trying to replicate The Pericles culture rush, but in my games It felt like I had a hard time expanding enough and maintaining good relations with the AI. Once I got declared over, and another time I snapped and declared war when the AI grabbed the city spot I wanted to settle two turns before me. I still need to better judge when to use units to hinder AI movement vs / exploring vs barb management, I also have to get a better hang of the district discount formula. Anyway It felt to me at the time like start conditions still played a huge role.
    R&F changed a lot of things, but I'm still intrigued by the all peaceful thing and I'll probably try it again once I have a better idea.
    Not sure about the viability of the globalization route, but now that papal primacy is gone, CS get conquered a lot more, and CS only give their bonus to district building. On the other hand, chopping became that much stronger with Magnus, and Monumentality by itself is having a large impact on the way we look at faith.

15. Pietato

Pietato Chieftain

I did it as Rome. Huge continents map, and I had built up the usual archers + warrior to attack someone. Turns out no other civs were on my continent, so I just mass expanded. Won with science thanks to spies.

16. whacker

whacker Chieftain

The problem with a fast peacful game is the map. If there is no room to expand, peaceful games are just slow grinding. On the other side, with the ancestor hall, god of the harvest and golden ages, peacully builidng up 10-15 high developed cities is most fun. :)

Boyan_Sun likes this.
  17. EpicWestern

EpicWestern Chieftain

Yeah I've won at least one peaceful game for each of the victory types, (I think two culture, two science, and a religion). The culture and science games have been slower (rationalism, eurekas, and inspirations are a lot worse) for me by it seems about 10-15 turns but I haven't really been able to take full advantage of govt district and governor timing yet. Also great people for science was bugged, not sure if its fixed yet. Religion was actually faster since the extra apostle promotion from the bishop is amazing. Having a prosthelytizer with 8 charges is pretty awesome.

18. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

Peaceful vics in VI play out like non peaceful in terms of win time, just add 50 to 100 turns. You run out of space fast, and have to use a lot of time and chops spamming early settlers and are forced to settle bad spots. Its also harder to save chops for space citys on SV when your not conquering.