1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Haven't Had Any Barbarian Rampages in Some Time...I Think I Might Miss'em.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by steveg700, Jun 20, 2019.

1. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

There was a time when a nearby barb camp could throw a civ into a state of total defense as a torrent of units would spawn all at once and come a-whompin' and a-stompin', complete with horsemen and those mounted archers most players don't even get. Not so much lately. Camps are just things I easily farm for GA points, sometimes with a single warrior or archer.

Started a couple games now on the Seven Seas map, and I haven't even managed to get boosts to Bronze Working or Military Tradition. Anyone else feeling that their barb anxiety has all but faded away?

2. MonkeyPaw

MonkeyPaw Chieftain

I play on Continents and the Barbarians have been back with a vengeance since the update. Lots of camps and massive attack waves.

3. jddods

jddods Prince

I miss the set up options for barbs you had in Civ 5. Some games I'd feel like selecting Raging barbs, other times I'd select whatever the lowest level was above No barbs. Was a mood thing.

4. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Worst Civ player ever.

Same here. It's so annoying. In some games I could not found a religion because barbarians continously pillaged the holy site.
    I absolutely cannot understand why they do not let the players choose in the game setup if they want extremely aggressive barbarians. As you said, there was an option in civ5, it cannot be that hard to put that in civ6 as well.

5. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

Well to be fair you can turn them completely off if you so wish...
    I just had exactly what the op described: a barb camp spawning horse archers and horsemen slowing me down quite a bit. I like that they ought to be a challenge! But what they don't do in my games is attacking the cities. I'd love them to try to capture cities..

King Abbas likes this.
  6. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

To be razed, or to be set “free” (i.e. as a Free City)?

Whichever way, I would have to agree.

Stilgar08 likes this.
  7. Abaxial

Abaxial Prince

I did once see Canada knocked out by Barbarians razing their cities.

8. jddods

jddods Prince

I think I've used the no barbs option only once and I can't for the life of me think why it was. But to be able to choose again the level of barb activity. Raging barbs was so much fun.

9. Icicle

Icicle Prince

Yeah I missed the barbarians, they're actually a thing again now and I love it.

And now that there are free cities, letting barbs turn their captures into free cities would make a lot of sense. Maybe even sprinkle a few around at the start of the game too.

10. alancsilver

alancsilver Warlord

Man alive the barbarians are back with a vengeance! Just waves of them coming and new ones spawning all the time. I can't ignore units as I used to and I think this has been adding to the challenge. I've been playing on immortal since the new patch came out.
    Consider me a fan...

acluewithout likes this.
  11. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

lol the barbs are stronger than the AI on deity. Makes it such that AIs that go after someone else early end up having some barb trouble (and if they fix it such that barbs are just as aggressive to the AI as with the player, most likely some AIs will outright die in the early game)

12. Gloompy

Gloompy Chieftain

Funny, im currently in a game where a barb camp spawned on a one tile island in an important region and is flooding the sea's with their seacraft. I think it's great! Lost a couple of ships.

13. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Weird. I keep spawning maps (still Seven Seas), getting huge, unoccupied stretches of land with no barbs. I'm really missing my boosts for Archery and Bronze Working. I'm going to have to find a victimizable CS to oblige me.

14. Abaxial

Abaxial Prince

Finished an interesting game in which there were no wars whatever. Looking at the end-of-game graphs, the number of combats was very large - they must all have been against barbarians. Tellingly, the civ with the most combats also finished last in terms of score.