1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Haven't played since this game came out, are industrial districts still vital/op?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by sasin, Nov 9, 2017.

1. sasin

sasin Chieftain

My impression was, when the game came out, production was really, really limited, and with the AoE effects on factories and whatnot, industrial zones were pretty much the thing you'd plan your whole strategy around (city placement, etc.). And, the Germans were OP because of that.

Has the balance on that changed?

Has the balance not changed, but people's views have?

Am I wrong about what the consensus was before :)?

2. Japper007

Japper007 Chieftain

Could've done a forum search, or at least read the patch notes, before posting. IZ AoE stacking was removed in one of the first patches and later era techs were made less cheap, so factories aren't as easy to beeline. The "meta" right now seems to have evolved to spamming Campuses and Commercial Hubs, with Industrial hubs only coming much later for endgame production.

3. sasin

sasin Chieftain

Ahhh, I had seen the thing about AoE stacking. But in my hazy memory I was thinking it was the removal of the AoE, so I was confused to see that still in the game in the civilopedia. Thanks, that all makes sense.

And I did do a quick forum search, but everything I found was either old or too new sort of, and I didn't want to read too too much about other people's strategies, so asking a quick question seemed harmless enough.

4. Spudsie74

Spudsie74 Chieftain

Germany is still a good choice, the just can't build power plants & factories the fuel multiple cities. As nerfs go, this was probably reasonable. Too bad they didn't buff the u-boat while they were at it. :cringe:

5. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams Supporter

Industrial Zones were absurd when they stacked, but now they've been nerfed down into near-uselessness. They're only viable if you have great adjacency bonuses, and then you have to carefully plan how many cities your factory will cover. It's easy to invest more hammers into them than you get out.

6. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

They're not that great anymore Even with a good adjacency bonus, you're looking at 12-13 production per turn. And that's 1360 hammers not counting the industrial zone itself! You could almost build a wonder with that kind of production.

But Germany can build the zone for cheap and maybe you can get some use out of great engineers.

Japper007 likes this.
  7. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The district itself is fine and can get some strong adjacency. Being half price and not counting toward the limit. It's just the buildings are expensive for what they make apart from when a few cities can benefit.
    Also if you are playing a long game they become worth it, it's just for sub 200 victories they often will cost more than they produce.

8. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

The only real purpose of an industrial hub is for enhanced production trade routes.

9. Archon_Wing

So just build the Hansas and forget about the buildings; enjoy adjacency and/or GE points? Also I do believe they count towards the district limit now.

10. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

... what for Germany? Surely not. That's a pretty big nerf to Germany. It's not that hanzas don't count, it's that Germany get an extra free district, are you saying that's gone?

11. Archon_Wing

Well, you wrote
    So I found that confusing.

But it's a fairly minor nitpick since in practice you can indeed just place the Hanza anyways thanks to Germany's ability. A 7 pop city could hold 4 districts which is more than enough to hold anything you'd need.

12. chazzycat

chazzycat Chieftain

At launch they were extremely OP, first priority for every city and all strategy revolved around it.

Now they are just situationally useful in a location with good adjacency + reach to multiple cities. Not bad tho.

Germany's ability is 1 extra district. Unique districts used to not count towards that limit, but now they do. Germany still gets 1 extra district. Just not 2.