Having problems in the modern era...

jjake101

Warlord
You will need this mod for this game... (its 10MB)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10220

I started to research the techs needed for a ICBM (Physics, Fission). I sunk all of my resources into research and now... I cant really do anything, the population of my cities can barely get above 1 and my production is incredibly slow. Can anyone help?

[Scroll Down for screen shots]

Attachments

• Kim Jong Il AD-2090-July.CivBeyondSwordSave
    426.6 KB · Views: 28
Without opening the save because I'm lazy...

Are you starving your cities accidentally with the governor? Maybe starve cities for a great person? Are your cities working food tiles is what I'm essentially asking.

Has someone nuked your cities? That causes fallout, meaning those tiles can't be worked until you clean them up, which you need the Ecology tech to do IIRC.

Sorry if I'm treating you like an idiot, but you always start with the basics first.

Without opening the save because I'm lazy...

Are you starving your cities accidentally with the governor? Maybe starve cities for a great person? Are your cities working food tiles is what I'm essentially asking.

Has someone nuked your cities? That causes fallout, meaning those tiles can't be worked until you clean them up, which you need the Ecology tech to do IIRC.

Sorry if I'm treating you like an idiot, but you always start with the basics first.

1. No idea
2. Im not trying to produce great people
3. No, because the cities only have a population of 1
4. Yes, I have been nuked once, but those tiles aren't being worked and dont have any improvements (I dont have Ecology yet anyway)

Maybe, you would be able to understand the situation better if you loaded the save?

If your population can barely get above 1, there must be very serious problems, like having gotten mass-nuked so there is barely any tiles to work.

Global warming issues could perhaps cause some problems too, but this sounds more like you got massively nuked. Do you have food tiles to work? If so, your cities should quickly grow well beyond 1.

I can't even bother to mess around to load BUFFY saves, so sorry about that, but maybe somebody else are less lazy :D

If your population can barely get above 1, there must be very serious problems, like having gotten mass-nuked so there is barely any tiles to work.

Global warming issues could perhaps cause some problems too, but this sounds more like you got massively nuked. Do you have food tiles to work? If so, your cities should quickly grow well beyond 1.

I can't even bother to mess around to load BUFFY saves, so sorry about that, but maybe somebody else are less lazy :D

Buffy saves?? The save file is less than 500kb (takes no time at all to load up for me) and the mod is less than 10mb...

TBH, its kind of difficult to explain the current ingame situation (I haven't been seriously nuked though).

Edit: I really hope someone can help, my civilization is literally at a standstill when compared to the others (Russia, China, Japan, America & Germany)

Instead of having others download a mod to look at your game, post a few screenshots that show your problems. Some city screens and an overview of your lands should already tell a lot.

Instead of having others download a mod to look at your game, post a few screenshots that show your problems. Some city screens and an overview of your lands should already tell a lot.

here are some screen shots, hope it helps. If your wondering why my empire is so small, I got boxed in by Japan and Germany quite early in the game

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 114
You have some extreme unhappiness going on there and none of your citizens are working. Mouse over the red angry face in a city screen and it should tell you where it comes from.

You have some extreme unhappiness going on there and none of your citizens are working. Mouse over the red angry face in a city screen and it should tell you where it comes from.

Anyway I can fix this?

I think the only reason Japan hasn't wiped me of the map is because of my defensive pact with Germany. :)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 62
Unless it is some mod specific issue, you've been defying UN resolutions. That's why the world considers you a villain. It gives 5 angry/city each time and wears of very slowly, or it should go away if you vote yes on a succesful resolution.

Unless it is some mod specific issue, you've been defying UN resolutions. That's why the world considers you a villain. It gives 5 angry/city each time and wears of very slowly, or it should go away if you vote yes on a succesful resolution.

I wish I knew that before I defied all those resolution. The main resolutions I was defying was the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty and world wide universal suffrage and universal free religion. Is there any way to recover this?

Looks a bit boned there yes. To take the overview shot though; you know you can cut down forests, right? There is a fish resource without improvement too, though I guess it has been destroyed by some enemy unit.

The big problem is all the unhappiness. Like mentioned above, have you defied countless resolutions?

Edit: Cross-post.

Given the leader you are playing as, it is amusing though... "The world considers you a villain" :lol:

Edit: DAMNIT, ninja'd again :(

Just vote yes on the next resolution and hope it passes, that should fix it. I'm not sure what happens if you raze the UN city, would that remove the unhappiness?

Though I would perhaps recommend starting a new game because this one will be very hard to recover...

There should be some civic that counters unhappiness from defying resolutions in my opinion, because at the moment it's a bit harsh. Probably a civic with some other negative effects, but one that would allow you to play through a game defying every single resolution if you so like, without completely stagnating your empire.

To some extend, Hereditary Rule can outweigh unhappiness - but not exactly practical when it is this high.

I agree though. It's always a pain when Emancipation gets around and at some point you are pretty much forced into making the switch. That always frustrates me. Would be nice if there had been something similar to War Weariness and Police State.

Yes, emancipation is the other annoying thing. There should be some North Korean government form where you basically use censorship and propaganda to make sure that what happens on the outside doesn't have any effect on you. Probably this would mean a global trade embargo against you and possibly it should have even some other negative effects like -1:food:/farm or -1:hammers:/mine. But at least it would still keep your empire somewhat functional even if you give the rest of the world the finger.

Just vote yes on the next resolution and hope it passes, that should fix it. I'm not sure what happens if you raze the UN city, would that remove the unhappiness?

Though I would perhaps recommend starting a new game because this one will be very hard to recover...

There should be some civic that counters unhappiness from defying resolutions in my opinion, because at the moment it's a bit harsh. Probably a civic with some other negative effects, but one that would allow you to play through a game defying every single resolution if you so like, without completely stagnating your empire.

I think I will start a new game with a similar set-up. At least I know my mistake and wont do it this time, it's hilariously realistic, but the game is just unplayable (ill just click 'no' on resolutions instead of 'defy'). I post an update later :)

Yes, emancipation is the other annoying thing. There should be some North Korean government form where you basically use censorship and propaganda to make sure that what happens on the outside doesn't have any effect on you. Probably this would mean a global trade embargo against you and possibly it should have even some other negative effects like -1:food:/farm or -1:hammers:/mine. But at least it would still keep your empire somewhat functional even if you give the rest of the world the finger.

Yeah, there needs to be some kind of International Isolation and Information Censorship civics

Don't forget that the culture slider is there too, it allows for a large happiness boost at the cost of the more useful forms of commerce.
Though in this case it seems even that wouldn't be able to pull this game back, defying absolutely every thing was a bad move, if you intend to ignore what th UN/AP would be pushing you have to be in control of it yourself, which means being bigger.
I started to research the techs needed for a ICBM (Physics, Fission).
"a" ICBM? One isn't going to do squat, you need dozens to win wars effectively, and swap to tactcal nukes as they have twice the bang for the same buck!

Top Bottom