1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Having trouble seeing hills?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bcaiko, Oct 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

I've found it difficult in my games to tell visually whether terrain is a hill or not. Especially if there's additional rough terrain like a forest or jungle. It's to the point where I have to highlight over the terrain and read the fifty lines of text describing the tile to figure it out.

Am I the only one having this problem? Does anyone have a suggestion as to setting changes I could make to make hills more obvious? I have a brand-new computer that has high graphical ability, so I should be able to set my graphics any way I need to.

Appreciate any insight!

nzcamel, oedali, Wulf38 and 7 others like this.
  2. RaidandTrade

RaidandTrade Prince

I have this too. I even wasted builder charges clearing the trees thinking to mine it only to find it's not a hill - not good when I put an Industrial Zone next to my future mine... Maybe a "contour" lens: Blue for water, Green for sea level, Brown for hills and White for mountains? (Modders???)

3. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy The Village Idiot

I'm enjoying the game so far. I don't have much to complain about but this is one thing that really bugs me. I can't see the hills and I have excellent vision. I have to mouse over the tiles every time just to confirm what I am looking at. There just isn't enough detail.

4. StrideColossus

StrideColossus Warlord

Agreed, it's probably the only fail as far as the map visuals go, for me at least. Not sure what the devs could do to make it more obvious sadly.

nzcamel likes this.
  5. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

Mouse over - and wait an eternity for the tooltip to appear. :-/

I really hate tooltip delays.

Zuizgond, mnf, valamas and 3 others like this.
  6. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Yeah, definitely, it's pretty difficult for me to tell if something's a hill - I often try and figure it out from the yields. There's definitely some UI info mssing in the game.

7. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

You're not alone, even the game has trouble.. tried to build a wonder that has to be on a hill at the base of a mountain.. I had one within my city boarders but it wouldn't let be place it. ;)

8. Deadstarre

Deadstarre Expert

9. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

Pretty sure there is a fix for that.

from reddit:
    "go to....Sid Meiers Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\ToolTips\Plot Tool Tip.lua

Edit line 32: local TIME_DEFAULT_PAUSE :number = xx (put value of seconds until popup) I use 0.2"

racha, Xyriach, valamas and 4 others like this.
  10. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Yes, they're very hard to see, with or without features/improvements.

11. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

Thanks!

12. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

The problem I have is not that they're hard to see, but that *some* are and some aren't, with no apparent rhyme or reason. There can be 3 tiles in front of me and they're all boring grassland hills, and somehow 1 looks like a slightly lumpy tile, 1 looks like a perfectly flat tile, and 1 looks like an obviously hilly tile. I think part of it is my super low graphics, but part of it is definitely also just indistinctive use of 3D.

Since some are and some aren't, I have to check all tiles. At least if they were all hard to see, I'd just go back to strategic view lol

13. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

I'm glad I'm not getting old before my time. How annoying that they didn't take visually identifying hills into account when they stated their goal for visual identification in Civ6 so clearly.

14. isau

isau Deity

I turn on strategic view to check. It's the far right button on lower left side of screen.

oedali likes this.
  15. Biz_

Biz_ Prince

if you're trying to spot the important hills for settling (plains hill)

look for rainforest and a yield of 2F 2P or woods and a yield of 1F 3P

the tile yields and forest type can be easier to spot at a glance

16. flying_dug0ng

flying_dug0ng Chieftain

If you're adverse to messing around with files, pressing 'SHIFT' while hovering will remove all tooltip delay

racha and Nefelia like this.
  17. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy The Village Idiot

My graphics are max settings and it makes no difference

18. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Yeah, it's sometimes very hard to see hills. Frustrating!

19. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Some of the hills are *hard* to see, sure. But I have some tiles that literally render NOTHING different from flat land. Does that still happen on max graphics, or is it just difficult-to-see hills?

20. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

In my experience, it has been too difficult to identify hills, even at 3840 × 2160 resolution. Definitely needs improvement.