Having workers inside the city, increases production?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Nitrius, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Nitrius

Nitrius Chieftain

So am just wondering, one of my workers, which i've set to "Automated", has been sitting idle inside my capital city for as long as i can remember now, and am starting to wonder why? My initial though was that putting workers in the city increases production or something, is that true? Or is it some kind of bug?

2. Aurelius321

Aurelius321 Warlord

IIRC, the worker AI will move workers into a city when either:

1) That unit is being threatened by enemy units; or
    2) There are no more improvements left to be made (for now)

In my experience, if neither of those is the case than I just thought I put the worker on automate, but actually forgot to automate them :)

3. Nitrius

Nitrius Chieftain

Must be nr.2 then, double checked just now, and the worker was set to automated. Anyway, thanks for the info =)

4. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Although you were mistaken, that seems like it could be a nice little future addition to the game. That way, when you have Workers with nothing to do, you can park them in a city to provide a small production bonus. And, if a city is struggling with production, you could send a Worker over and garrison it to help out. They are Workers after all.

5. Lord N.

Lord N. Chieftain

Great idea indeed. After all, they are sitting idle a lot of time, and why not give them something to do inside the city? :D

6. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

I like colonization model.

For those not in the know, in colonization, your "city population" is "removed" from the city to "make a unit". pretty neat, i think. perfect? naaah.

but once your used to it, it's hard to go back.

7. Aurelius321

Aurelius321 Warlord

Previous Civ games had you reduce population for settlers (and workers once they were introduced into the game). I'm neutral on the mechanic. I think, in early Civ games, it was supposed to help slow down early game ICS from happening... But with Civ III (?) they began introducing better mechanics to deal with ICS.

8. DKRI

DKRI Chieftain

That feature sometimes annoys the hell out of me, as ending automation seems to take a whole turn. If I am going to build a wonder with a great engineer and forgets to move the worker sitting there, idling and spending my gold, it takes me another turn wich by the end of time could turn out to be game changing.