Heading to Eastern Europe

Norseone

Emperor
Hey all, I'm going to be in Eastern Europe for the next five months (living in Hungary). Im looking to take a number of trips to sight see, as this will probably be the only time I can afford to go to Europe for quite some time. I'm going to be flying in to Prague and exploring that city for a few days, then hopefully heading to Poland. I was wondering if any of you happened to have some ideas of things I should see while here. Any ideas would be appreciated :D

Watch out for the gypsies. They may bite. ;)

There was a thread on this earlier. Relating to Czechia, mostly, but it should give you some tips.

Subscription post. I'm going to Eastern Europe too this year.

Just to contribute a bit of advice that actually comes from Winner; don't catch a taxi in Prague.

Watch out for the gypsies. They may bite.

Not in Poland, no gypsies in Poland.

We might've well... :mischief: gone nazi on them...

Subscription post. I'm going to Eastern Europe too this year.

Just to contribute a bit of advice that actually comes from Winner; don't catch a taxi in Prague.

And don't eat in a tourist area in Prague OR Krakow. It will always be 5 times more expensive. Take the subway or bus to some other part of the city and eat there where the locals eat. This rule also works well with shopping in general.

We really need to know where you are going exactly in Central Europe.

See Cracow, its one of the few old cities in Eastern Europe that survived WWII with little damage.

And try not too look too much like a tourist.

TheLastOne36 said:
We might've well... gone nazi on them...

You seem to implying that they were human in the first instance.

Don't drink the water, unless its bottled, watch out for pickpockets, don't give money to beggars, don't drink local alcohol it's mostly homemade moonshine vodka and half poison. Remember to call cities by their correct names. Its Danzig, Krakau, Warsaw, and so forth. Don't insult Stalin or Communism. Try and buy a piece of the Berlin Wall, I hear they sell them in open air bazaars. Watch out though, they also sell old Soviet tanks, and Ak-47's.

Don't drink the water, unless its bottled, watch out for pickpockets, don't give money to beggars, don't drink local alcohol it's mostly homemade moonshine vodka and half poison. Remember to call cities by their correct names. Its Danzig, Krakau, Warsaw, and so forth. Don't insult Stalin or Communism. Try and buy a piece of the Berlin Wall, I hear they sell them in open air bazaars. Watch out though, they also sell old Soviet tanks, and Ak-47's.

Coincedently, In Poland, the water is completely safe, bottled water is just nicer because it comes straight from the Tatra Mountains, pickpocketers aren't more of a threat than anywhere else you are from, nobody begs in Poland because Polish culture is extremely against beggers, who the hell drinks alcahol from the street? You'll find plenty of cheap local and good brands at stores. If you call those cities by there German names, you will start to be answered back in German if you are a tourist as the only logical assumption is you are German, and so forth. Insulting Stalin and Communism is the national pastime and you are welcomed to join in, Berlin wall isn't in this country so no worrying about that, and the military is fairly modern too if that matters.

For most of my time in CENTRAL Europe I will be in living in southern Hungary. But for the next two weeks I will be visiting other areas just for fun. I have looked into Krakow a bit and it really sounds amazing. Ill probably spend a few days there I think!

For most of my time in CENTRAL Europe I will be in living in southern Hungary. But for the next two weeks I will be visiting other areas just for fun. I have looked into Krakow a bit and it really sounds amazing. Ill probably spend a few days there I think!

Some places you should check out:

- Krakow Old town - it covers a large area - there's tons to see
- Wawel castle - very close to old town, on a hill
- Wieliczka salt mine - worth doing the tour, close to Krakow, ended up being one of the highlights of my trip to Poland a couple years ago. if you end up going to krakow, you gotta do this thing!
- Kinda depressing, but Auschwitz is close to Krakow too
- Zakopane is about 100km south of Krakow - a beautiful town in the mountains
- If you go to Zakopane look up Morskie Oko - and go for a hike
- Wroclaw is supposed to be a pretty town - about 300km away from both prague and krakow

Some tips:

- I heard that if you look like a tourist in Prague, cabbies will take advantage of you
- If you order a water in Poland, make sure you say it's a "niegazowana", otherwise you might get a bottle of carbonated water
- If asked if you want juice in your beer - try it! it's pretty good

other than that, have a blast!

- If you order a water in Poland, make sure you say it's a "niegazowana", otherwise you might get a bottle of carbonated water

I believe they use carbonated water in Hungary to.

I never liked it though, but I'm Canadian-bred.

- Zakopane is about 100km south of Krakow - a beautiful town in the mountains
- If you go to Zakopane look up Morskie Oko - and go for a hike

Is Zakopane really all that good? I'll be in Poland for like, one week, and my sister (who will be with me at that point) wants to go to Krakow, Zakopane and Warsaw. Is it really worth it?

Warschau.

where in hungary you're gonna live?

Don't forget to try out "Pierogi". It's some dish found in that area. I hear TLO's grandma makes some really good ones, and that he loves them.

Try it out and tell us what you think about it :) BTW has anyone else tried it?

I'm going to Hungary too this summer. Thanks to a Ryanair cockup, I have an extra day in Budapest. So I have over a week there now. Is there anywhere relatively close I could go for a day trip, or over one night. How far is it to Vienna from Budapest?

Top Bottom