Health problems

makeshifttheory

Chieftain
Just curious as to how you keep your cities above in health. I can manage everything except that. I have tried using the land resources but I still get behind somehow. Just curious to see how you experts manage it thanks!

I usually have to combine health sources in order to keep my cities clean.

1/I always try to leave 3 forests in the city cross if I can

2/I usually trade for health resources that I don't have

3/ Make sure to research towards aquaducts, grocer, hospitals and supermarkets etc.

4/I will also build the grocer before building the market since both give +25% wealth but grocer adds a health benefit

5/ Also in the early game one good way to avoid health problems (and also to avoid unhappiness problems) is to have the slavery civic and use the excess population to get some early production. I usually use this to get rid of unhappy citizens but it could help with unhealthiness.

your captial emerges yellow smoke, is unhealthy and suffers unhappiness from overpopulation? just whip something and it's all nice again ;)

The Expansive trait gives you +2 health/city to begin with.

makeshifttheory said:
Yea, I like that trait. I'm starting to get it a bit better thanks.

An easier solution -> Turn off City growth

build the granary in each city, it not only helps with growth but also health. also, the fish resource is very good and build an aqueduct asap and then build the hanging gardens to help with all your citites.

I find you can just push through unhealthiness. IE, ignore it. For example, assume your Health is about 8. You're managing your growth to always have two extra food. When you reach 9, that extra worker starts working on a cottaged grasslands. You now grow half as fast, but are getting the commerce from the grasslands. When you reach 10 pop (slowly!), you stop growing altogether, but you're getting commerce from two extra cottages. Assuming grasslands.

Flood plains are great for ignoring health. They produce three food without thought, which translates to two food to support the worker on it, then one more food to pay the unhealth cost that that pop unit brings to the city. Farm two of them and you can support the unhealth that 5 floodplains gives you just for being floodplains. That leaves the other three to be cottaged. That's -7 food from unhealth before you really feel it, but the benefit of 3 cottages you didn't have before. Or, since these are floodplains, watermills. Then if you have some grasslands or farmed plains... two *more* squares, -9 unhealth food penalty, before you actually *stop growing*. Flood plains rock.

Unhealth limits you, yes, but it limits you quietly... there's no reason to "avoid growth" just because you're unhealthy. (Plenty of reason to add more health bonuses... like granary, harbor, or grocer... which you're likely to want to build anyways.... but no reason to avoid it.)

makeshifttheory said:
Just curious as to how you keep your cities above in health. I can manage everything except that. I have tried using the land resources but I still get behind somehow. Just curious to see how you experts manage it thanks!

Which level are you playing?

I haven't much to say more. Almost everything have been said.

I can add a bit...

Try building next to fresh water (+2)
Harbor in coastal city replace fresh water. Cheap, and you can get usually 1 or two sea ressources rather easily.

As said, unhealthiness slow growth, but doesn't stop it, In the contrary of unhappiness.

Top Bottom