Hearts of Iron 2

XD, yes, I do recognize the event now that you mention it. Shame on you, sinking people to steal their maps.

Ha. In the first EUII game I played, I tried to play as the Iroquois. In the game, exotic cultures needed to interact with Europe before they could do lots of things, including build cavalry, ships, and exploring new lands, so I was able to build my ships only after England and France showed up in North America. They attacked me as soon as they found me, and before long I had enough contact with them to start building ships. Stolen rutters revealed the map all the way to Europe, and it allowed me to capture provinces in Portugal... as the Iroquois! (That's not very easy to do.) I was hooked.

Oh, back to original post. Hearts of Iron II is fairly complex, but really fun once you learn it... if you have the time.

Brilliant! One of the best around. Armageddon is much improved - especially with the combined unit/attachment construction.

Unfortunately :p I left my cd in a library book - so I can no longer play :rolleyes:

After hearing them babble on in #fiftychat about it, I bought the Victoria games, HOI, HOI2, Doomsday and Armageddon online right on the spot. I have installed them and there they sit. Every time I go to fire up a game, my mouse convulsively gravitates towards the Civ shortcuts.

I've spent many hours on HoI/DD Vicky and EU3

: )

Many hours.

It's a great game.

The diplomacy is relatively simplistic compared to Civ IV just due to the nature of the period it is modelling - the war is basically inevitable most games and the three major power blocs are all either half-formed or fully-formed depending on what year you start the game in, so it's not nearly as changeable as diplomacy in Civ, but it can still be interesting.

There have been quite afew AARs in the All Other Games forum if you fancy having a quick look and checking those out, you will probably learn quite a bit on how to play the game just by reading them. :)

Brilliant! One of the best around. Armageddon is much improved - especially with the combined unit/attachment construction.

Unfortunately :p I left my cd in a library book - so I can no longer play :rolleyes:

...Aren't Paradox games amon the very few out there you can still play without your CD?

...Aren't Paradox games amon the very few out there you can still play without your CD?

I know that with HoI Anthology you can play without the CD. I inadvertently discovered that when I launched the game with my C3C disc in the drive.

Absolutely awesome.

I am now playing the Modern Day Scenario 2 v1.5, where you can unite Europe (peacefully) as the EU - terrific!

I recently got the modern day scenario but I can't find much to do

something about Putin not being the leader in Russia just bothers me enough to ruin it

oh, that and North Korea has no tech teams

Brazil intervening in the Spanish Civil war is cool. I loved that part of my current game.

Does anyone else like turning a small nation into a large power (Bulgaria, Romania, Republican Spain), or do you all enjoy taking the helms of already large and well established nations (Germany, USA, USSR)

well I've turned Canada into a major power so I guess I apply

I even had Communist China win the civil war once

Does anyone else like turning a small nation into a large power (Bulgaria, Romania, Republican Spain), or do you all enjoy taking the helms of already large and well established nations (Germany, USA, USSR)

I played as Saudi Arabia once. Got my rear handed over to me. Granted, it wasn't as if I fully understood everything in the game when I did that. :lol:

Trying as Hungary right now... No guarantees for succes yet.

Failed to find that original one, I am resurrecting this thread.

I am facing a strategic debate as Soviet Union. Mid-1944 I've defeated Nazi German and her allies. The outcome is far better than historical: All of continetal Europe besides Scandinavia and Iberian Peninusula is under Soviet hands (and those of its allies). Americans have created two 4-province enclaves and have given them to France. Thus there's still a constant threat of allied landing.

In the meantime Japan has literally conquered Asia. Having defeated China in 1941 they have proceeded to submit India, Indochina and Persia to their will. As of June 1944 there is some limited fighting in Indonesia with allied forces.

Portugal has stupidly joined the war as Axis 2 months prior to end of Fashist Italy. I guess it was done for the prestige of being the chief Axis power if only for a little while.

In short, Allied-Axis war will be over in a matter of months. In order to bring Communism to people of the world, I as USSR, need to defeat both Allies and Japanese within the next 8 years. Here lies the dilemma:

Allied forces amount to 320 infantry, 30 aroured divisions, 56 fighter and 20 bomber squadrons, 22 Battleships, 25 Carriers and over 200 smaller ships.
Japanese forces are under 400 infantry divisions, and airforce of 3(!) squadrons. They have also 10 Battleships, 11 Carriers and 90 smaller ships.
Militarily the advantage of Allies is clear. My technologies are on par with modern requirements.

A War with Japan would require only a transfer of forces from Europe to Asia. This, with the figting involved, would require about 2 years to push the Japs out of Asia. If we do that however, the position of Allies would strengthen as opposed to ours.

War with Allies would require a creation of a large fleet (by 1945 when technologies have been researched) as well as Marine and Paratrooper force. I cannot estimate how long the war would take, probably till the end of scenario.

We have Brasil as allies. Soviet Fleet atm is level I. I have around 250 infantry and 60 tank divisions. Soviet airforce is also relatively small - 30 squadrons and 30 allied (Brasilian ones).

Here is the question. Do I prepare for war with the Allies or the Japanese? What strategy should I employ in either war?

If you concentrate on the Middle East and Africa, you can start a ground war with the Allies and not need the fleet immediately. Create puppets as dissent allows. Spam infantry.

Top Bottom