Hearts of Iron - what the #$%@* am I doing?

Sure. It was my very first time with a paradox game back then. Couldn't even read most of the english text (i was 5th or 6th grade or so), so I had a dictionary at hand (since we had no internet either).

There is no shame in sucking at something. It's the first step to get better. :D

HoI2 is a lot easier to learn than HoI3

This. I never bothered with HoI3 because it seemed to me that they had added
unnecessary amounts of complexity to the game.

And apparently a lot of people thought that was true of the supply system
since Paradox came out with Arcade Mode (bypasses 99% of supply system)
in the first expansion.

This. I never bothered with HoI3 because it seemed to me that they had added
unnecessary amounts of complexity to the game.

And apparently a lot of people thought that was true of the supply system
since Paradox came out with Arcade Mode (bypasses 99% of supply system)
in the first expansion.

DUDE. I can vouch for the fun of HOI3. Though I've never played HOI2 so I can't compare. You guys think I should check it out? I love HOI3, except for the buggy supply system and of course the micromanagement, though I suppose that's half the fun.

And wow thanks for pointing out arcade mode, didn't even know that existed. However, seems like not being able to encircle and cut off supplies is a big downgrade in the fun of HOI.

I'm at the end of my first game now as Germany, conquered Poland and France of course, then invaded and puppeted Republican Spain, occupied Portugal, Yugoslavia, then Turkey. Annexed Istanbul as part of Germany because it felt like a Fuhrer thing to do, and am now attacking the Russians from both the Polish border and through Georgia and the Caucasus. And I launched an amphibious and aerial assault on the Crimea. This game is sweet.

Wasn't there supposed to be a HoI 4?

It was supposed to be released first quarter 2016, but they've delayed it again to fix glaring problems with the game. It's apparently now in a solid beta state.

I wouldn't recommend HOI3 as a first Paradox game. I've probably played it a similar amount to CKII (about 50 hours), and still hardly know what I'm doing most of the time, even with the HOI3 Wiki. Of the most recent 4 Paradox grand strategy games, the only one that I'd consider comparably complex/hard to understand is Vicky 2. And the in-game tutorial in HOI3 is pretty miserable.

On the other hand, I've successfully introduced real-life friends to Paradox games from Civ/Total War via CKII and EU4. Combined with the CKII/EU4 wiki ready for Alt-Tabbing, and it's doable (like Lohrenswald, I'm not really one for YouTube videos to learn games) without the help of a friend who's already into it, though that certainly helps. Overall, I'd recommend EU4 without expansions as a first step into Paradox games coming from Civ, starting out with someone like France or the Ottomans who can tolerate mistakes.

In terms of ease of use, I'd rank recent-ish Paradox games in the order EU4, CK2, EU3, Vicky2, HOI3, though 1/2 and 4/5 are somewhat subject to preferences/past experience. So unless someone was coming from a hardcore wargames background, preferably with a focus on WWII, I wouldn't really recommend HOI3 as the first game.

I'd take V2 over HOI3 in a heartbeat. That game was nothing short of a train wreck.

The thing about EUIV and Vicky is they both make use of single-force 'armies' because that's how battles were fought during those time periods, there just weren't enough men for a continuous front. Vicky starts to get into the time period of fronts late game, especially if you've conquered, say, all of India. The thing I love about HOI3 is being able to move individual divisions along a massive front (and the fact that you instantly capture territory). Vicky still forces you to move massive armies, and battle basically comes down to pilling as many units into a square as possible. In HOI3, it's much more in depth, especially because you can manage the makeup of your own divisions down to the brigade.

I do have some gripes (I'm playing right now). I hate how you have to constantly redirect your industrial capacity because it fluctuates so often. Should be automatic. The supply system is a little buggy, but I prefer to play with it because it makes army maneuvering and encirclement much more realistic . Also, micromanaging 2 land theatres + fleet actions + air missions is O so very tiresome after a while. At least playing Germany you can neglect your fleet and just put interceptors on air sup to kill those damn Brit bombers. Once you get to the Ostfront, though...Russia becomes a legit Bear to fight. The land micromanagement alone is daunting.

But, damn, I do love this game. Pouring SS Bridages and Panzerkorps in the Ardennes and busting ass to Paris is oh so satisfying for my inner Fuhrer.

Top Bottom