1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearts of iron

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Ramjack, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Ramjack

Ramjack Chieftain

I love stratergy games especially civ iv. I was wondering about buying hearts of iron 3 but I've heard about how complicated it is to play.it's took me a long time to fully understand civ iv .Has anyone here played it? Just wondering what you think?

2. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

3. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

I've played HoI2 and its relatively easy compared to Victoria..

4. bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer Steppin' up!

I've played HoI3, but I think it is really slow, and it's not the same as EU3, Victoria, ect

btw, shouldn't this go in All other games?

5. bob_page

bob_page Warlord

I recommend HOI2, but I've only heard bad things about HOI3. It has a pretty steep learning curve to start, but once you get past how overwhelming it all seems and you get the basics down it's not too bad. You can ignore the more complicated facets of the game until you're ready; for example, I didn't use my air force or navy at all when I first started playing.

6. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Moved to Other Games.

7. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

Likewise, I haven't yet bought Hearts of Iron 3 due to the somewhat bad flak it gets. However, I highly recommend Hearts of Iron 2 as a complex, yet rewarding Grand Strategy game. If you like complex combat (taking into account air force, naval, and ground forces; specialized brigades, weather, terrain, leaders, supplies, etc.) with a relatively simple economy, then this is definitely the game for you.

If you do pick it up, I highly recommend that you read the manual and skip the mostly useless tutorials. I also suggest that you take a look at the HoI2 wiki, which has several useful guides for a newbie. Finally, I highly suggest looking at this for a great overview on how to play: "How the heck do you play this game?!" A simple tutorial AAR

8. serek000

serek000 Chieftain

I'm not a big fan of the HoI series, although I do on occasion play HoI 2. I'm more fond of Victoria and EU2/FTG (not sure about EU3 still). HoI doesn't have the same scope that I like - guiding a nation for a few decades is fine and dandy, but compared to the grand, 400 year EU games, the short time spent in HoI doesn't really satiate my desire for counterfactual stuff.