Heathen conversion work on rebels?

Oh yeah. Are you at -3 happiness anyway? Annex a city and hard-build your courthouse. Get -10 happiness, take a little penalty to hammers, save 500 gold, gain a couple units. Odds are good the hammers it takes to hard-build the units exceeds the 14% hammers you lost.

BROWD:

Captured missionaries of other religions if you have Heathen conversion *DO* convert barbarians. The heathen conversion belief is associated with the player--not the missionaries. All missionaries of the owner of that belief will convert.

Captured missionaries of other religions if you have Heathen conversion *DO* convert barbarians. The heathen conversion belief is associated with the player--not the missionaries.

The question, and answer, was about capturing a missionary from an AI when the AI religion has HC. Sadly, it does not work.

I don't know if it is "sad", per se. That's just the game rules. There's a flip side to it, anyway: if you pick HC for yourself, captured missionaries are very much useful!

I agree, not sad really, just not a missed chance to experiment with HC without burning an SP.

Flip side is almost without value. Since you've unlocked HC, it follows that you have you have religious tolerance. So unlike all games in GnK and most BNW games, captured missionaries are already useful -- they give you pantheon beliefs.

If Shaka's captured half the world and not bothered to fill Commerce, I guess there's worse things than stationing a defensive unit and a HC Missionary near Ulundi :)

The way I tested it was in a real game. I captured Buddhist missionaries, modern era. They had god of tundra pantheon (useless). I don't want to be burning faith on missionaries then. Anyway, it's a good game rule to know.

Rebels spawned next to my #2 city, not my capital. They pillaged one tile before I got to them. No big deal.

Can't imagine this tactic being very useful unless you had a way to flip your happiness back up into the positives almost instantly. The -20% combat penalty for being at -10 Happiness (minimum) would be really painful.

You might have more units, but serious questions about concentration of force start to come to mind. How much good are a couple of extra back-rankers going to do when your front line is at 80% of its best-case strength? The freebies would be your weakest troops as there's no way to get any XP for them and there's no way for them to have other stuff like free promotions or the Heroic Epic bonus.

A possible loophole, but you have to go Piety to Reformation (not ideal), take one of the worse Reformations (uh oh), and then keep yourself at Happiness levels where you stop growing (NOPE NOPE NOPE).

I like the 20% combat when I'm xp farming. It takes more hits to kill stuff.

On raging barbs, I'm putting heathen conversion toward the top of the reformation beliefs; sometimes OP. Converting rebels is just a way to make a bad situation not as bad. The bread and butter is farming camps off in the snow and ice.

Without knowing of this exploit, I never would have bothered with HC. Now I am tempted to give it shot. I absolutely agree with GoStu about the costs, 0xp units as far from the front line as possible are pretty marginal. Still, it seems like it could be fun! Please remind me, where is the SP that gives benefits for city garrison?

Tradition and Honor have the two city garrison SPs.

Freedom has the tenet that gives you 15 influence for gifting a unit, no matter how far away it is. You be the judge what to do with that.

Now imagine combining HC with Just War. You already have cheaper missionaries from one policy on the way to reformation. Now you can also have +20% combat strength near enemy cities following your religion, which is offset same the penalty for going negative happiness, depending on how negative it gets.

Since missionaries convert all barbs, they can't be captured while spamming them all over the map. Making sure to convert your next target before the war. Just keep in mind that prophets won't convert barbs. I learned that the hard way.

So what if the converted units don't have promotions. They were free, thus can be great cannon fodder on top of the previously mentioned garrisons with Honor or gifts to CS's.

Missionaries don't convert cities which already have another religion very well. Which most of the time after you've got reformation, they do. But if you get interfaith dialogue, you won't care much.

Top Bottom