Heathenism and Hedonism

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by wioneo, Jul 16, 2009.

1. wioneo

wioneo King

Is that a word? Anyways, am I the only one who aggressively pursues a holy city? Not necessarily founding a religion, but making sure that a shrine is available to me. I find that I place the VAST magority of the financial burden on one city(the others generate wealth of course, but nowhere ear as much as the shrine city).

Is this slightly stubborn tactic holding me back? I was winning easily reliably on noble, so I moved to prince, and after the initial shock of markedly slower research am winning reliably on prince, would it be a bad idea to continue clinging to this strategy in higher levels?

EDIT: by "pursue" I did not mean aggressively research the necessary techs, as I rarely choose leaders who start with mysticism.

2. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

Shrine strategies are harder to execute on higher levels. You risk getting into fights with other ais over religion.You also might miss the early religion. Also building lots of missionaries is too expensive, you need those hammers for settlers/workers/infra, sometimes military and the occasional wonder.

3. slobberinbear

slobberinbear Ursine Skald

Most of the advanced players on these boards don't found an early religion (say, Buddhism, Hinduism, or Judaism), for three reasons:

1. The AI beats you to it anyway
    2. By going for religion, you slow down getting key early worker techs needed so you can keep up with AI expansion
    3. You can capture the Holy City and get all the benefits of it via military expansion

I play on Emperor, and I never even try to grab an early religion unless I start with Mysticism and have a commerce tile to work early. The other realistic alternatives are to either lightbulb Philosophy (and get Taoism) with a great scientist or to build the Oracle and take Code of Laws (and get Confucianism). You could also lightbulb Theology or Divine Right (and get Christianity or Islam) with a great prophet, but that means you have to slog/trade through all the religious techs first.

Personally, I love founding a religion, but after experiencing the pain of getting beat to a religion (and then having neither the religion nor the worker techs), I have been schooled.

4. wioneo

wioneo King

What do you mean by "miss?" The only religion that I ever found is confucianism as a by product of beelining to CoL for courthouses, and about the fights, you don't have to be running a shrine religion to pull the coins in :)

About the diverted production, are there production maluses for the player as levels go up? I remember noticing slower initial research, but can't remember if first workers were 12/15 turns on noble as well...

EDIT: I usually trade for meditation, polytheism and monotheism sometime around capturing a shrine city or prospective attempt at the Great library. Unless I had marble for the oracle.

5. JBossch

JBossch King

So you are capturing shrines? This means you are always going for early war, a strong strategy in some circumstances but not all. Whether or not the target controls a shrine is a factor in my decision to go to war but no the only one.

On higher levels the player's production is the same but the AIs get bonuses. This means every hammer you spend is that much more important in relation. Techs are more expensive on higher difficulties.

6. SeptimusOctopus

SeptimusOctopus Warlord

You seem to mean pursue with a SOD rather than tech path. This is definitely the most fun and efficient way to get a holy city: you get to tech as necessary, eliminate a rival, and usually you don't have to waste a great person on a prophet for the shrine. All in all, it's a good plan. Oh plus you know your rival who founded the religion has taken a less than optimal path through the tech tree, so warring with them is easier than normal.

7. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

Yes but you'll miss confucianism too on immortal +. Indeed you can run the shrine without converting to your religion. But that makes the religion even less valuable. It's just too expensive all in all, there are far better ways on immortal+ to make money,resource/tech trading for gold being the most important.