1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Heavy stuttering makes this mod almost unplayable

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by zulu9812, Sep 20, 2011.

1. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

I've noticed that Caveman2Cosmos runs very slowly on my system, which had no trouble with A New Dawn at all. Stuttering is so severe that terrain animated graphics (such as waves) is extremely slow and choppy and moving the mouse around the map is very cumbersome.

I've also noticed that when I alt-tab to the windows task manager, there is severe spiking of CPU usage. This is on turn 1, I might add.

Finally, when I quit the game to windows, I get an error message saying that Beyond The Sword had stopped working and that Windows could check online for a solution. This is unusual in itself, but when I click "Close the program" to get rid of the message, it pops up a second time.

For the record, my system specs are very high and had no trouble with A New Dawn:

Windows 7 x64
    Core i7 980x (Gulftown)
    6GB DDR3 RAM
    Crucial C300 SSD

I tried running the mod at lower resolutions and with graphic options turned off anyway, but this had no effect on the stuttering.

There are 2 things that I think could be going on with this mod:

1) This mod runs a lot of python. Having a multitude of python scripts has been known to cause this kind of slow-down (i.e. sheer volume of code)

2) There's something in the DLL modifications that's causing this (i.e. bad code)

Has anyone else been suffering this kind of problem?

2. EldrinFal

EldrinFal Chieftain

I have similar specs as your system w/o the SSD and don't experience those issues. What kind of video card are you using?

Alt-Tabbing out of Full screen has always been sketchy for me though. But I think that is a video driver issue. Before I recently updated my driver, I could tab in and out
    a few times before eventually it would crash. Now when I do it, I come back to the game and the screen doesn't draw. It's just all black with the music going. Sometimes if I go out and back again a few times it eventually comes back.

3. zulu9812

Card is a Sapphire 5850 Extreme

4. EldrinFal

EldrinFal Chieftain

Guessing 1GB+ on the card?

And are you using Sapphire's driver or ATI/AMD's?

5. zulu9812

Yep, 1GB video RAM. I'm using ATI drivers. I wasn't aware Sapphire did unique drivers for their cards.

6. Nevets_

Nevets_ Chieftain

I set the game to run in windowed mode and I haven't had a problem playing while web browsing yet. I'm running Win 7 at 1920x1080, and if you set the game to 1920x1020, when I maximize the window I don't get any stretching and everything appears to display correctly and I only lose a little of my screen to the title bar and taskbar.

7. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

I have an old system and do get a bit of stuttering, which has increased significantly in the last release. I play with it in windowed mode because it wont work for me otherwise.

8. EldrinFal

EldrinFal Chieftain

I've been thinking of switching over to that since I do tend to frequent the board when I'm playing-- or check email etc in general.

Is there a command line setting to tell it to run in either Windowed or Full Screen mode? I'd like to have a shortcut for each.

Edit: Bingo. Setting in the ini file can have the game ask each time. Nice!

9. EldrinFal

EldrinFal Chieftain

I can't say for sure if they do now, but I had Sapphire before and they used to. I stick to ati/amd's drivers now for my HD 4870. Your system seems pretty beefy, so I can only suggest trying a different driver, or scaling back some of the bells and whistles and find out what is causing it.

10. zulu9812

I don't think that the video card is the issue, since a) civ IV hasn't really been that reliant on video hardware in the past and b) I have tried scaling down the graphics options with no effect.

For the record, I went on the Sapphire site and downloaded drivers from there but they seem to be AMD/ATI drivers (at least the installer was branded that way).

11. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

It actually plays significantly faster than AND does for me, so your results are strange. The mod has very little Python (a few events - all callbacks have been eliminated a few releases ago). Is it that way from the start or is it a specific game giving you difficulties? If the latter post a save game (max compat, and I'll take a look)

12. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Chieftain

Scale down on your graphics cards handling of buffering and antialiasing in games. I think you can set it individually for each program/game you use. CivIV isn't designed to run on 64 bit systems and was built when graphics cards weren't as advanced as they are now. It can't use more than 3gb RAM and can't cope with high-end graphics engines running top end.
    Might want to disable the CPU's internal graphics too, if you have that in your i7 and are able to do that for just Civ.

I'm on a Core2Duo, 32-bit W7, GTX260 graphics card with 896 mem, running 1900x1200 in full screen and my graphics don't stutter one bit.
    I do have a delay of a second or so from giving units orders until the next unit pops up though, and between turns can be a bit slow with game freezing when the computer works at full capacity for a few seconds.

Just so you know older machines can handle it. *wink*

13. zulu9812

It's a 1366 cpu, not 1155, so there are no cpu internal graphics. But I must reiterate that this is a problem specific to this mod. I can run vanilla and AND with no problems whatsoever.

Koshling, it's all games on C2C. I am playing on Huge and Giant maps - but I was playing AND on Gigantic.

14. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Yeh, I play both on Gigantic, so it's certainly odd. Does the stuttering happen in association with any particular actions or all the time? I presume you are talking about during your turn, not so much during processing of AI turns? (when it does stutter for sure, but then so does AND)

15. zulu9812

It's all the time.

16. EldrinFal

EldrinFal Chieftain

17. zulu9812

18. EldrinFal

EldrinFal Chieftain

Yep ;)

19. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

I get a "delayed" action almost all the time when i try to move units also lately, plus there is also the white-arrow to move to next title that still stays on also(when you try to move forward that is), even tough you can NOT move one more turn, it happens for ships also. But this is after Medieval Era, when there are alot of things going on ingame.

20. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

for the modders with CHIPOTLE (u know what I mean)

Try CTRL+D and in the menu > Rebuild Terrain.

It helps remove the stuttering when it gets to slow.
    and ofcourse the SHIFT+LMB when loading a savegame, but u all knew that I hope ;)