Heavy variations on local happiness with city growth

Noob Fanboy

Warlord
Hello there!

It has been a while since I posted someone in the forum and I don't know if this was worth making into a thread or it would be better to be on the quick questions / quick answers one.

I am playing a game in Deity Epic now (mind you, trying to make the super religion combination of Syncrethism / To The Glory of God on capital with another building religion that i got from conquering my neighbour).

Anyways, I stopped growth on multiple cities due to being worried about happiness management, and I don't know if I am maybe abusing the system, but I have this city.

upload_2022-2-3_8-2-22.png

This happened multiple times during the game and I did savescum to check the status and the prediction on unhappiness growth matched the information displayed on screen. It's not a bug but I am curious to see if any of you ever have cases like this, where due to how the system works a one population growth can heavily change the local or even global happiness (Before this I have three cities on the same way, and I decided to grow two of them since I was feeling like I was cheating lol)

Good luck in all your games

Nah, this is intended. Authors of VP said explicitly that locking growth is one of the main ways to prevent unhappiness issues. Personally, I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Yea, but there should be a way to curve the change on unhappiness. One thing is changing from 1 to 5 or 6 unhappiness. But 1 to 10 or even 1 to 11 seems a bit too much

Yea, but there should be a way to curve the change on unhappiness. One thing is changing from 1 to 5 or 6 unhappiness. But 1 to 10 or even 1 to 11 seems a bit too much
The longer you lock your growth, the biggest change in unhappiness there will be, because it wasn't updated for so long. There is no "partial" or "smooth" update.

I just take the multipliers way down for the unhappiness factors. Locking city growth and massive increases in unhappiness when cites do grow are neither fun nor realistic. If left unchanged, the entire game just devolves into unhappiness management through very un-Civ like means.

This isn't specifically caused by "locking growth". Unhappiness from unmet needs only changes when population changes. The longer it takes for your population to increase, the more the world's median yields/pop will increase between population increases. Your technology/empire/etc needs modifiers will also be increasing during this time.

The world's median yields/pop is smoothed out turn-to-turn.

Top Bottom