heihojin's 13th PBEM Game - Middle Ages!

heihojin

Prince
This is the home thread for my 13th PBEM game, a Civilization III: Conquests scenario ("Middle Ages"). Only players who had participated in at least one of my epic games were invited to play in this scenario.

We begin the game with the following eight players:
  1. heihojin (Abbasids)
  2. Norlamand (Germany)
  3. portuga (Kievan Rus)
  4. Playboy (Byzantines)
  5. Rubberjello (France)
  6. prettyvacant (England)
  7. DogBoy (Denmark)
  8. Isildurs Heir (Cordova)
Future PBEM scenarios I administrate will likely be invitation-only as well. If you would like to play, please be sure to sign up for one of my epic games.

heihojin

I just sent the welcome e-mail and the first turn (843 AD). When you receive the welcome e-mail, please send me a reply indicating that you've received it. The protocol is identical to my epic games.

I'm really looking forward to this - it looks to be a good game! :D

heihojin

I'm just glad the pitiable Franks are far, far, away from the Byzantines. (Playboy would understand!)

I will be out of town this weekend. I will play my turn Friday night before I leave, and I will be back Sunday night. So basically I will only miss Saturday night. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It seems I was a little hasty in requesting the upgrade to v1.20, as I simply assumed (wrongly) that Firaxis gave a damn about their PBEM players. Once again, their fumbling developers have screwed us and I am forced to ask you to maintain an obsolete v1.15 Beta installation.

It is relatively simple to maintain two distinct installations of Conquests. If you haven't yet upgraded, and are still using v1.15 Beta:
  1. Rename the Civilization III\Conquests folder to "Conquests v1.15 Beta" or something like that.
  2. Uninstall Conquests with "Add/Remove Programs" from your Control Panel.
  3. Reinstall Conquests to the default folder.
  4. Install the patches for both v1.20 and v1.22.
If you have already installed the v1.20 or v1.22 patches, you can follow the above steps to rename your Conquests folder to "Conquests v1.22", uninstall Conquests, reinstall Conquests, and then install the v1.15 Beta patch. Thankfully, all three patches can still be found at http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3patches.shtml.

I have sent what I'm sure will be the first of many negative feedback submissions to Firaxis. If you would like to add your two cents and let them know how miserable they've made your game-playing experience, the URL is http://www.firaxis.com/contact_gamefeedback.cfm.

heihojin

In an experiment to convert this game to v1.22, we will do the following:
  1. DogBoy already loaded the current turn (861 AD) with v1.20 and was apparently successful. If you haven't yet played your 861 AD turn, please do so with v1.20.
  2. When I get the turn beginning 864 AD, I will attempt to convert it to v1.22. Assuming I am successful, we will play Game 13 using v1.22 from that point forward.
heihojin

hehe, guess I should have posted under the thread of the game I'm talking about. I just posted a message under game 14, but was meant to post it here. You answered my question, thanks.

Originally posted by prettyvacant
why can't we just go direct from 15 to 22?
I attempted to load a v1.15 Beta save using v1.22, and it failed.

heihojin

OK, I finally got my Conquests working again after the patch debacle (It crashed my install).

I've got two vers on my PC now, 1.15 and 1.2 (and less HD space I might add).

Played the turn with 1.2 (1.15 would not open the turn from Dogboy) and sent on to Heihojin.

My two cents...This is the 2nd time we've got burned by Firaxis. I'm sure we all remember the patch debacle from about a year ago where they released a patch that only worked for English players (and didn't tell anyone thats the case), which put our games on hold for awhile. Not to mention releasing a BETA patch to the public to save money from testing themselves (or at least using some public volunteers).

My advice for next patch? Lets give it a week or two for somebody else to play guinea pig, and load it after they've proved it'll work.

I successfully loaded the game using v1.22, and so we will play it on this version from this point forward.

heihojin

Is this game well and truly dead? Is Playboy still having a patch problem?

I got it last night, played it and will send it out today.

*** This position has now been filled. Thanks for your interest! ***

I am currently looking for a replacement player in this game. This is a v1.22 Civilization III: Conquests PBEM scenario ("Middle Ages"). The year is 1161 AD, and the position is that of the Kievan Rus.

This is a well-developed game with a deep history of political intrigue and military conflict. The position is one of five remaining and is quite tenable. It's anybody's game at this point.

If you are interested in taking this position, please send me a private message through CFC with your e-mail address.

heihojin

*** This position has now been filled. Thanks for your interest! ***

I am looking for another replacement player in this game. This is a v1.22 Civilization III: Conquests PBEM scenario ("Middle Ages"). The year is 1173 AD, and the position is that of the Byzantines.

This is a well-developed game with a deep history of political intrigue and military conflict. The position is one of five remaining and while perhaps somewhat disadvantaged, may still have a reasonable chance of winning the game. It's anybody's game at this point.

If you are interested in taking this position, please send me a private message through CFC with your e-mail address.

heihojin

how long has this been dead or where is the real thread?

This is the real thread. The game has been going on for a few years, and there hasn't been much need to update this thread. Most communication takes place via e-mail.

Speaking of which, please send me a private message with your e-mail address so that I can send you the turn.

heihojin

Top Bottom