Heirs to Alexander: The Tale of the Seleucids

Gruekiller

Back From The Beyond
Supporter
Oh yes. I'm awful. Two AARs at once. But this one's been stewing in my mind since August, and I've been eager to start out on it. This AAR comes on the cusp of good news: I've finally replaced my craptastic old computer with one that actually works! The Carthage AAR is one a laptop elsewhere in the house, and can still be updated.

I've made an unusual decision, and have decided to play as the Seleucids on Giant Earth Map's 200 BC scenario. So I'd like to thank Genghis Kai for his great Giant Earth Map mod, and whoever else was involved with its creation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

200 BC

Spoiler :

Alexander the Great was arguably the greatest military genius in history. He conquered the Achaemenid Persian Empire in a bit over a decade, and spread Hellenistic culture from its roots in Greece to Egypt, Persia, and as far as the Indus. After leading his army over an exceptionally brutal return journey from India across the Persian deserts, Alexander caught ill and died in Babylon in 323 BC. At the young emperor's death, his empire was divided, and the general Seleucus received a large portion of his dominions, from parts of Asia Minor all the way to the Indus.

By 200 BC, their capital, Antioch, was the center of one of the greatest empires on earth.

Spoiler :

At about this time, the Seleucid emperor decided to abandon the city of Attalia to the Greeks and Galatians, moving the troops which had been stationed there to elsewhere in the empire, where they were more sorely needed.

Spoiler :

Parthia had refused to pay its annual tribute to Seleucia, and Seleucid troops sent to enforce the payment had been slaughtered by the locals. Parthian troops now massed on the borders, and intended to take back the Seleucids' Persian cities - something Antiochus III did not intend to let them do.

Spoiler :

And above all, the war with the Ptolemies had been renewed in Syria. As Egyptian troops took up positions outside Hierosolyma, the bulk of the Seleucid army poured into Damascus and the region around the Orontes, preparing to put the Egyptians in their place - once and for all.

190 - 180 BC

Spoiler :

Within the space of a decade, the Parthian forces had finished assembling, and poured over the border. The Parthians' horsemen struck first at Ecbatana in the mountainous regions of western Persia, attacking the well-entrenched spearmen and bowmen in vain. After a mere few hours on the battlefield, the Parthians were routed, and the entire strike force destroyed.

Spoiler :

In 180 BC, after a series of smaller engagements throughout the Levant, the bulk of the Seleucid army, spearheaded by war elephants, marched into Judaea to confront the Egyptians. The two armies met in the Jezreel Valley near Megiddo. The Ptolemaic force, comprising mostly of war chariots, was put into flight by the Seleucid war elephants, and then chased down and destroyed by the Seleucid cavalry. The Seleucids marched into Jerusalem unopposed.

160 - 150 BC

Spoiler :

Electing to avoid the heavily-fortified city of Susa, the Parthian invaders decided to turn south and assault the former Persian capital, Persepolis, instead. Though they had anticipated an easy victory, the numerically-superior Parthians ran into unexpected resistance at Persepolis, and were crushed decisively by the Seleucid defenders. After this embarassing loss, Parthia agreed to withdraw its forces and pay the Seleucids a large sum of gold in exchange for peace.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile on the Egyptian front, the Seleucid army had pushed across the Levant and into Egypt proper, where they laid siege to the city of Memphis. The walled city proved a tough nut to crack, and the Seleucids spent over a year outside its walls. However, a traitor within the city opened up one of the gates, allowing the Seleucids to pour into the city and capture it for Seleucia.

I want more Carthage. :(

Looks good. I play Rome: Total War alot, and the Seleucid Empire is one of my favorite factions to play as. Could you give us a link where we can download this mod?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.

Subscribing.

Also, adding a caveat: careful about too many stories at once! You can go crazy that way (or at least detract from your social life)

Top Bottom