Heithinn Horgr Improvement

Hrafnkell

Alheithinn
Another heithinn Norse improvement. A horgr, or harrow, was nothing fancy. I based this one on a photograph of an ancient harrow.

In my planned progression of HORGR (shrine) --> LONGHOUSE (temple) --> HOF (cathedral) this is the first. See my signature for the hof. The longhouse I am hoping to post in a day or two as I have only done a sketch of it so far.

In my own mod I make the horgr religious and give it +1 culture and +1 happy faces. The longhouse will give +2 happy faces and the hof, like a cathedral, +3.

Preview:

The Files:

Attachments

• Horgr.zip
    13.4 KB · Views: 196
Bjornlo said:
Your definitely getting good at this. This 1st draft was as good as your previous ones that you did several drafts on.

Thank you. I'm hoping to make a meadhall/longhouse combo that will be the best yet. The only difference will be that the meadhall will be a bit more grandiose than the longhouse. I'm doing these from a sketch I drew so we'll see how it goes. :viking:

Some things I find useful.

Draw big. Reducing an image typically leaves a quality image. enlarging = not so nice.

Save the parts off individually.
ie: complete a wall. Save just the wall as a seperate file.
Since you're doing a themed series, you will likely think of other items you wish to add and having a reuseable library of parts will speed things up.

Do a plain version first. Something like a stick drawing.

This and especially the Heithinn Hof are fantastic! Great work on the civilopedia text for the Hof too, editing excess info down to fit is much easier than trying to expand a stubby single paragraph, especially when it comes to subjects I'm not already familiar with.

The meadhall/longhouse sounded so wonderful, also, but did you ever finish it? I was already hoping to be able to do a Heorot (great meadhall from Beowulf) great wonder but I've been stymied by both the lack of ready-made Civ3 meadhall images and the lack of enough idea of what the Heorot might have looked like to be able to create the graphics myself. I'd really like to use all three -- Horgr, Meadhall/Longhouse, and Hof -- in the mod I'm working on, so that my Scandinavian tribes won't be inaccurately overly similar to other European tribes...

This is a very nice graphic - I'll find a place for it in a mod I'm working on. :goodjob: I'll watch out for any other stuff you do too from now on.

The Jack - I believe that Hrafknell did make some improvements like those you mention. I did, too. Look in the Civ III Improvements section of the File Database (click "Downloads" near the top of the page) and have a browse.

My bad, I should've known better than to bump.

Plotinus, I did find the feasting hall you made, thank you -- it's in Downloads > Civilization III Downloads > Civ3 - Graphics Modpacks > Civ3 - Building Graphics, fyi, there isn't a City Improvements subsection under Civ III downloads.

I did look to see whether Hrafnkell had posted his planned longhouse before I bumped the thread (I checked through the list of all the posts he'd made since this one, do please clue me in if there's a better method) and couldn't find it. The Building Graphics downloads listing only goes back to July 2006, too... is there some trick to finding the older downloads, or do only the most recent additions go into the download library?

Thanks for your patience with my n00bness.

Hey all,

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you liked them. I have been away awhile and I honestly don't remember if I finished the meadhall. I believe I did, but I'd have to check myself. I am using a different computer now and will have to look and see if I transferred all my civ materials to it. If I finished it and it's not here, I'll upload it again.

Avast, ye ancient Briton! It is good to be back. A jar of mead would go down nicely. I cannot believe I have been gone so long. I've spent three days pouring over all the new goodies that have come out since last I posted, your own not least among them. I haven't tried Civ IV yet, though the new Warlords expansion might tempt me that direction. I'll have to try the forums here before I make up my mind, though the glimpse of your leaderheads has me more than half convinced already.

Thanks for the welcome!

I did some checking on my HD and it looks like I never finished the improvement...it's not something I'd care to post "as is" so I'll have to see if I can do some work on it. I've a couple ideas for other improvements I'd like to try as well. At any rate, those Plotinus is using in his Rood and the Dragon are verra verra nice!

Top Bottom