1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

hello everyone.Just thought I would shout out.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by DeXteR_, Sep 17, 2011.

1. DeXteR_

DeXteR_ Chieftain

Hows it goen in civ land. I Just got civ3+conquests. Kinda find it hard but very fun. theres alot to this game. But anyway so i take it this is were civ peeps hang out?... can anyone tell me were does one find others that play this to game online?
    So ya just thought i would say hi to all of you and hope to game with some of ya's in the future. PEACE...

DeXteR

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

There is a forum or a sub forum for MP games here some place.

3. Theov

Theov Deity

4. DeXteR_

DeXteR_ Chieftain

thanks. I'm finding game a lil hard. cant seem to get anywere. I see it's goen to take me awhile to get good enough to play against peeps online.

5. DeXteR_

DeXteR_ Chieftain

6. Theov

Theov Deity

What I really recommend is to browse these forums and look for beginner tips. It will keep you from getting used to making bad mistakes (like building early wonders, having not enough workers, not knowing that fresh water makes your cities grow past 6...).
    Paradoxically, your learning curve will be steeper (better) when you play at a higher level. Don't get used to chieftain or warlord.
    You shouldn't touch Chieftain and Warlord is only good to get used to the mechanics - not to the game itself. Regent is the baseline where you and the computer have no advantages. I recommend to just pick that level until you beat it.
    Go to the options screen (left top) and select 'color blind help' and 'advanced worker actions'. Those will make the screen make more sense for you.

7. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

Hello, and a belated welcome to you.

Check out the War Academy. It's full of useful advice and tips for beginners. Also, I have to concur with Theov's recommendation of not starting with Chieftain level. This level gives the player too much advantage--so much that you learn a lot of bad habits that will become hard to break as you advance.

Also, don't give up too easily. Once you get the hang of it, the game will be quite addicting. :D

8. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd King

What everyone else said! Welcome.

Sometimes there are "training day" games where an experienced player will review and critique several people playing the same starting position and the save is emailed among participants. That can be a helpful experience.

9. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

In fact I'm going to start one this weekend... The thread will appear in the "Succession Game" forum shortly.

10. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

There's also the Civ 3 War Academy, and an Archive of Training Day Games (that link is in my sig).

11. DeXteR_

DeXteR_ Chieftain

You can count me in. and thanks everyone for the greetings. Theov has bin an great help we comunicate VIA Teamspeak server. great guy. Im not sure how this training day works but when your able to talk with each other threw teamspeak 3 it makes it for very quick learning and good times. I like to encourage more to join us in TS server (T2K.INFO) is the address to connect to. I sit in that server 24/7 would be nice to discuss and get different views and tactics with people that also share an interest in CIV. And well other interest as well. so please feel free to come and chill and talk an ear off. O and check this saved game out. give me your input thanks.
    And yes DesertSnow your rite. once you get the basics its very addicting. I have alot more to learn but im hooked dude. DAMN GAMES.

I do apologize for my grammer and spelling. dropd outa school at grade 3 you would think they way i spell and word my sentences. yip.

Attached Files:

• d.SAV
      File size:
      123.4 KB
      Views:
  12. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

A Training Day game is specific kind of Succession Game (SG). Like the Always War (AW) games, it has certain rules/guidelines/boundaries.
    1. Generally, it has a more experienced person as leader/teacher/instructor. Sometimes it is more than one. Outsiders to the game (lurkers) will also drop by and offer comments, suggestions or try to explain things.
    2. It tends to be played at Monarch or Emperor. The map size is standard, with continents, mid-settings on the climate and the VC tends to be going to Alpha Centauri.
    3. The players on the team are rather inexperienced and want to get better at playing the game.
    4. There is lot more discussion of options than in a normal SG. City placement, worker moves, what to research, who to befriend, who to fight, etc, all of these and more are talked about before any action is taken.
    5. Some Training Day games start with each teammate playing the first 20 turns seperately and then comparing the results. The team then decides which start to use.
    6. Since the game is played 10 turns at a time, the difficulty is not a great factor in the game. Yes, it is important, but when you only play 10 turns at a time, knowing that what you do will be seen by others, you tend to play a bit better than normal.
    7. Since it is a SG, the players are expected to keep a fairly detailed turn log of what they do on their turns. I Alt + Tab from the game to Notepad as I play. Others use Word. But it easier to do this as the game is played. It does slow down playing and that is fine. The goal is to play better, not faster.
    I feel like there should be 3 more traits of a Training Day game, but I can't think of any more. :D

The purpose of grammar and spelling is to provide clarity in communication. To communicate clearly is the goal; grammar, spelling, punctuation and such are just tools to help achieve that goal.

We are not grammar-nazis here. We will figure out what you mean.

13. DeXteR_

DeXteR_ Chieftain

Nice Nice. I will keap an eye out for your post on training day. if i happen to miss it and its getting close to training day let me know please if ya can thanks dude.

14. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Thanks, CommandoBob, for this excellent explanation of the Training Day concept! I have taken the liberty to quote you in my start thread, as I wasn't able to describe the idea any better... Hope you don't mind!

Anyway: let's the fun begin! I got the ball rolling today:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=441045