Hello Everyone. Why does Brazil always take Fascism?

Draco_Wolfgand

Chieftain
Hi. I am sorry, I dont know whether it is common around here, but I thought I should introduce myself. I am Brazilian, played from the fourth to sixth game, and thought I would come to this site because generally, I am tired of the constant political debates I have been getting trapped on in the internet, and thought I would talk a bit about this game.

So, I am a noob player, but one thing that always bugged me are all the people that have been going with Fascism as Brazil lately. It just makes no sense in my eyes. Brazil is base bonuses are clearly built for a culture victory, while Fascism as a form of government is built for a military victory. I just do not understand why would people want tto choose Fascism as Brazil, that is all.

I see a lot of Theocracy from the AI as well. But you are right about the late game governments. If the game lasts long enough, they generally choose Fascism.

Maybe the AI is calculating that in order to defeat a human player, they need some military muscle. They choose Fascism because it offers military bonuses, hoping they can achieve a military victory before the inevitable culture / science / whatever victory the human player is speeding towards.

It makes me wonder if you set up a game where you were (as human) coming second or third overall, whether the AI would still adopt Fascism, or aim for more advanced late game governments.

What do you want me to say? If you ever been in our country, we know there is one thing and one thing only we do right: Hotdogs. But out jokes are kind of okay too,

Uh, what? Normally you've won or lost the game by the time anyone would get fascism.

Not everyone plays Small Maps on Settler difficulty.

But yeah the Ai nearly always picks Fascism as their third tier government and it's a weird bug, but normally it matters little. The neg modifier is not enough to dislodge my alliances, so I care very little for it.

Hi. I am sorry, I dont know whether it is common around here, but I thought I should introduce myself. I am Brazilian, played from the fourth to sixth game, and thought I would come to this site because generally, I am tired of the constant political debates I have been getting trapped on in the internet, and thought I would talk a bit about this game.

So, I am a noob player, but one thing that always bugged me are all the people that have been going with Fascism as Brazil lately. It just makes no sense in my eyes. Brazil is base bonuses are clearly built for a culture victory, while Fascism as a form of government is built for a military victory. I just do not understand why would people want tto choose Fascism as Brazil, that is all.
I will admit that even in this forum I read this post as a discussion of Brazil's current political situation.

But I agree the Pedro II AI choosing Fascism in Civ VI makes no sense at all. Wonder if any tech savvy/code savvy people can delve into the machine and find out why Pedro does that.

I see the ai sometimes choose Democracy, but never Communism. Kongo usually chooses Democracy in my games.

Maybe the AI evaluates they have no shot at beating the human player at science/culture/religious victory and opts for domination victory. If you have enough diplomatic visibility you can see which victory they are aiming for. Would be interesting to compare their government choice with their end game goal.

Another possibility is they just deplete their military forces with their pointless many wars, and need to replenish. Which is fine if they would later switch to a better government, but I don't believe the AI switches governments once they get to the next tier do they?

I just do not understand why would people want tto choose Fascism as Brazil, that is all.

I see what you did there.

On a more/less serious note, the extra amenities from Carnevals can be pretty helpful if you go on a conquest spree.

Also, there are two introduction threads here for new members.
One in the Civ 6 forum and one in the off topic section.

It just makes no sense in my eyes. Brazil is base bonuses are clearly built for a culture victory, while Fascism as a form of government is built for a military victory.
You would go for fascism too if your neighbors were stealing all of your great people. :mischief:

Welcome to the forums!

Some days ago I had to abort/ragequit my Brazil game as my neighbor Norway stormed my lands with infantry+arty and my land army was pretty obsolete.

I had concentrated on culture and navy too much.

Governments, like many other choices in the game, are scored by the AI. Basically, what gains can be achieved. Same for Policies and Civics. Best ones win.

Oh. It's an AI bug. They pretty much ALWAYS adopt monarchy and facism.
Monarchy is placed in a civic tree one column before others. So, AI gets here first because this civic is much easier to access and provides great gains, i.e. more slots in a gov. I would say that AI does perfectly good job here.
The issue is with the design, i.e. placement of those govs. They should be in the same column, removing the “speed” factor from evaluation. Tested it, it works. AI chooses other govs more often.
As for fasicsm - result of the design as well. “Close to victory” genarates negative diplo effects. Everyone hates you. They want to kill you, and facism is best for that.

I see a lot of Theocracy from the AI as well. But you are right about the late game governments. If the game lasts long enough, they generally choose Fascism.
Once you get to Monarchy, it is very close to Theocracy. And Theocracy has less military slots, allowing for more productive policies. AI values it higher than Monarchy.

If you want to test the above, I added an option to my Real Tech Tree mod for different placement of govs.

Didin't AI's in Civ V chose whatever ideology suited them best by their bonuses? Or maybe it was by historical accuracy? I can't remember but I think they chose taking something of this into account.

Didin't AI's in Civ V chose whatever ideology suited them best by their bonuses? Or maybe it was by historical accuracy? I can't remember but I think they chose taking something of this into account.
Leaders had a Preferred Ideology just like they had a Preferred Religion. I wouldn't mind seeing this come back, though perhaps make it weighted rather than hardcoded since sometimes the AI might have a better option for that particular game.

I mean, it would be a small addition to just add a bias towards "Despotic", "Oligarchic" and "Democratic", wouldn't it?

Top Bottom